Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickrinaldi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
no its shows up installed in cydia, i'm thinking its something to do with my phone.

either its cause i'm on 4.2.1 firmware and this tweak needs me to be on a more recent firmware. or if something is still on my phone that is being detected by optimum server or something is cached etc..

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Hey guys, there's already a couple of threads for the Cablevision/Optimum app here... and here...

Any chance you could keep discussion of that app there, so this thread can remain about the TWCable app? Now that crossingman and milk424 know about the issues with the other app, perhaps they'll participate in those threads, but hijacking this one to handle that other app doesn't strike me as the best course of action. Thanks...

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Yep - I've just boldly updated to v2.5 to test it out in my jailbroken iPad v1.

(with crossingman's latest hack still installed)

1) It launches fine, no complaint about jailbroken hardware
2) There's a screen that pops up with "Terms and Conditions" you have to agree to, in order to use the app. That only appears on first launch though.
3) App seems to work fine, I watched a few channels.
4) I then quit, established a VPN connection to my home network, and relaunched. It still works fine, no complaint about VPN connections.

So it appears the coast is clear to update.

That being said, I don't have a TWC cable box, I use a TiVo Premiere DVR. Watching live TV with this app still works as I have a valid TWC account and eligible cable package. What doesn't work is the "Guide" button (for TV schedule/listings, apparently those come from the cable box) or the "DVR" button (makes sense.) Tapping them gives me a pop-up error explaining...

Also, when I go to "Settings," all I see is "Sign Out" and nothing else. So I cannot take advantage of some of the newer features, like marking channels as favorites (or specifically mentioned with the 2.5 update,) parental controls, and closed captioning.

From the iTunes page:
iTunes-20110929-095001.jpg

My guess is those features somehow depend on a cable box... which seems sort of odd to me.

Can anyone else (with or without a TWC cable box) check to see if those "Settings" features are available to them? It's not a huge deal as I can live without them, and vastly prefer the TiVo Premiere to whatever set top box TWC is offering these days... but I am just curious if this limitation is here because of the JB and crossingman's hack, or if it's because I don't use a TWC cable box.

musicmax

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
iPad 1st Gen 64GB. 4.3.3 JB/sn0wbreeze. TWC 2.5. FakeTimeWarner 1.0. No VPN. 3 Cable Boxes - one of which is DVR.

I updated from TWCable TV 2.0.3923 (none of the previous updates had features I cared about).

Everything works. Loads kinda slow and crashes if I don't use RemoveBG first.

Under Settings I can move from box to box - only the DVR box shows DVR data. Guide works (again pretty slow). Can also select Favorites though that only seems to affect Guide.

Cify

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Irvine, CA
can anyone post the deb file again all the dropbox links are 404'd
I just got my VPN set up but get the authorization error when trying to connect over external wifi

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002

Fofer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Okay - I bit the bullet and upgraded to 2.5.1.

crossingman's "FakeTimeWarner" hack still works just fine :up:

EvilSpock

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Brighthouse networks in Orlando and Tampa Fl just launched the Time Warner TV app today. app version 1.0.1 same app as the Time Warner just rebranded to Brighthouse. the fake time warner app in Cydia will work after you make a minor change to the FakeTimeWarner.plist using IFile under /var/null/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries on the ipad.

In FakeTimeWarner.plist change the line <string>com.timewarnercable.simulcast</string>
to look like
<string>com.bhn.simulcast</string>
save your edits and your done.

jr1

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Thanks EvilSpock for the details, app works well (w/ Cydia) in Tampa.
Unfortunately it doesn't have the local channels (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX), just the brand-name channels

To clarify step-by-step:

Download Bright House TV app through App Store
Download FakeTimeWarner through Cydia
Download iFile through Cydia
Open iFile, goto (& open) FakeTimeWarner.plist in /var/null/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries
Change the line <string>com.timewarnercable.simulcast</string>
to <string>com.bhn.simulcast</string>
Hit save edit and done
Open Bright House TV app, sign in with Bright House username/password

Brighthouse networks in Orlando and Tampa Fl just launched the Time Warner TV app today. app version 1.0.1 same app as the Time Warner just rebranded to Brighthouse. the fake time warner app in Cydia will work after you make a minor change to the FakeTimeWarner.plist using IFile under /var/null/Library/MobileSubstrate/DynamicLibraries on the ipad.

In FakeTimeWarner.plist change the line <string>com.timewarnercable.simulcast</string>
to look like
<string>com.bhn.simulcast</string>
save your edits and your done.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I'm in Orlando with Brighthouse and a JB'd iPad. I haven't been following the topic but do I need this work around just because my iPad is JB'd? I'm not clear if this workaround is to get the signal for non-BH customers or it f it's because the iPads are JB'd?

How are you editing the plist on the iPad? iFile? I'll have to grab that.

jajaish

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
Status

Questions....

is the latest version for FTW still 1.0? Sounds like crossingman made an update, but the latest on cydia is 1.0. And all links in this thread are dead.

Should the latest Time Warner app (2.5.1?) work with FTW 1.0 via VPN? I can confirm that the hack bypasses the JB, but not the VPN.

Thanks!

iPad 1/16/wifi

Trying to connect via win 7 VPN

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
So I see the xCon from n00neimp0rtant is updated showing confirmed to disable the DIRECTV 1.3.5 App jailbreak detection, but I don't know how to use it... I unzipped the file from his site (I can't post so just google "n00neimp0rtant xcon github" or "xcon jailbreak" and the first link on another site for more info, but nowhere does it say how to use it in conjunction with Directv app.

/Layout/
Makefile
README
Tweak.xm
xCon.deb

How do I use this on conjunction with the DIRECTV app? I'm excited to see he posted on his link that it's confirmed to now be updated for the newly broken DIRECTV app, now I just need help how to use it, hehe

Thanks!

micROORganism

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
VPN and TWC app

From my experience, the iPad app detects VPN despite the FakeTimeWarner tweak. I had to get creative and use my iPhone.. connect to wifi, disable data, enable VPN, and turn on pdanet. This essentially uses your phone as a VPN router via wireless.. Pretty sweet. Has anyone found a better method to circumvent the VPN check?

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I just installed the new TWC TV app for the iphone and using my old tweak I can get past jailbreak detection and vpn detection. From this, I feel like TWC TV app for the iPad should still work. Maybe you should remove TWC, install the tweak, respring, then install TWC.

TomiY1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
Has anyone tried FakeTimeWarner with the new iPhone App? I just tried it and it won't authorize...seems like the cydia tweak needs an update

Update: Let me be more specific... it wont authorize when on 3G (Im not expecting to watch TV per say, but would like to set DVR recordings from, anywhere like i can on my iPad TWC app)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.