Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
So, I finally decided to try out Lion. Since I'm on Leopard 10.5.8 I opted for the thumb drive, which arrived today. Stick it in the usb, start the computer, open the thumb drive folder, click on the Lion icon (which has a nice big white slash through it), and get the message: "You cannot use this version of the application Install Mac OS X Lion with this version of Mac OS X."

Is this because I'm on Leopard and not Snow Leopard? I thought part of the point of the usb is to avoid upgrading to Snow Leopard only to go straight to Lion....... Or am I missing something??

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Restart the computer and hold down the option key right after you hear the startup chime. Then select the USB drive. This will allow you to install Lion. Warning: It may erase and install instead of updating your system.

617arg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Just tried that and it didn't work either. I couldn't use my hard drive with 10.5.8 on it as the destination for the install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.