Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Hi Guys,

I apologise in advance if somebody has already posted this fix, but unlike a lot of you guys, I just don't have the time in my day to trawl (Not troll!!) through countless forum posts, but I did do a lot of research on this battery drain issue in iOS 5 in an attempt to solve it. I'm running a 16 Gb iPhone 4 and iOS 5 (Obviously) and like many of you guys I saw my battery life decrease dramatically with light to normal use. With iOS 4.3 I would easily get two days of normal use before charging and after upgrading to iOS 5, I was lucky to get 4-6 hours tops!! :eek:

Now I can't even remember where I read this tip, but it said to go to...

Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G

... and toggle that switch off and then back on, then do a hard reset. ie. Hold down the Wake and Home buttons until the phone shuts down and you see the Apple logo then release both buttons.

I'm now back to my full pre-iOS 5 battery life of two days, but admittedly, I am only a light to normal user. I previously tried all the tips I could fine out there, including a clean install and restore from recent backup, all without success and this is the only thing that has worked for me so far!!

It may not work for everybody, but give it a go and post your results, after all you've got nothing to lose, and I'd love to know if it solves the issue for anyone else!!

Cheers

Todd
Un-ashamed :apple: Fanboy

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Damn, I guess I should have disclosed that I'm in Sydney Australia and I think all we have here is 3G. Hope you guys find a fix soon, though I fear it may only come through Apple's pending iOS 5 update. :confused:

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
All iPhones are 3G. Settings...General...Network is where the Enable 3G button is, even on iPhone 4s.

The 4 in iPhone 4 does not stand for 4G.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
All iPhones are 3G. Settings...General...Network is where the Enable 3G button is, even on iPhone 4s.

I could be wrong but from reading threads in this forum, I believe that at least with the 4S Apple removed the ability to toggle 3G on/off.

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Sorry, I can't comment on that, I only have the original iPhone 4 not the 4S. All I know is after I did it my battery life returned to normal. Has anybody been able to replicate this... just wondering??

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia

It can be confusing with all the names of the various generations of the iPhone... even funnier that all the pundits were getting their knickers in a twist because iPhone 4S was not called the iPhone 5...

For the record the Australian versions of the iPhone are as follows...

iPhone - 1G = 1st Generation - Edge
iPhone 3G - 2G = 2nd Generation - 3G
iPhone 3GS - 3G = 3rd Generation - 3G
iPhone 4 - 4G = 4th Generation - 3G
iPhone 4S - 5G = 5th Generation - 3G
iPhone 6?? - 6G - 6th Generation - 4G/LTE?? (Maybe they'll call this one "iPhone Re-Loaded" :p)

Harmush

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
Liverpool
iPhone 4s does not have a toggle button to turn of 3G.

Correct, only "mobile data".

Just wait for the software fix guys, all this hard resetting rubbish. Its a software probelm and no amount of hard resets will fix a software problem.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lol great fix. There is no toggle anymore

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lol great fix. There is no toggle anymore

It's a great fix if you've still got the toggle switch!! I've still got one... and no more battery drain!! See attached screen shots.

I'm running iOS 5 (Obviously) and I'm still at 82% tonight at 9.03pm having pulled the phone off the charger at 6.30am this morning. Admittedly I've only made one short call today and checked mail a few times, and only browsed for a few minutes. Pretty light use even for me today, but before this fix my battery would have been totally dead in 4 to 6 hours!! It's worth noting that I also have every iCloud service switched on as well so I can only assume that what I did fixed the problem.

Could it be something to do with the Verizon CDMA network vs the AT&T's network for you guys without the toggle switch?? We've only got the one standard (I think it's the same standard as AT&T's) here in Australia, so I'm not sure why some of you guys have it and some don't.

At the risk of upsetting some people I'll re-phrase my "Fix" and say that If you still have the "Enable 3G" toggle switch, slide it to off and then back on again and do a hard reset and see if that works for you. I can confirm that it certainly worked for my phone, my wife's phone and three of the guys at my work who were all having the same battery drain issues.

You may scoff but you do it at your own peril... unless you don't have the switch that is!! :p

Attachments

• IMG_2463.PNG
    IMG_2463.PNG
    163.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2462.PNG
    IMG_2462.PNG
    87.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2464.PNG
    IMG_2464.PNG
    180.7 KB · Views: 93

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
It's a great fix if you've still got the toggle switch!! I've still got one... and no more battery drain!! See attached screen shots.

I'm running iOS 5 (Obviously) and I'm still at 82% tonight at 9.03pm having pulled the phone off the charger at 6.30am this morning. Admittedly I've only made one short call today and checked mail a few times, and only browsed for a few minutes. Pretty light use even for me today, but before this fix my battery would have been totally dead in 4 to 6 hours!! It's worth noting that I also have every iCloud service switched on as well so I can only assume that what I did fixed the problem.

Could it be something to do with the Verizon CDMA network vs the AT&T's network for you guys without the toggle switch?? We've only got the one standard (I think it's the same standard as AT&T's) here in Australia, so I'm not sure why some of you guys have it and some don't.

At the risk of upsetting some people I'll re-phrase my "Fix" and say that If you still have the "Enable 3G" toggle switch, slide it to off and then back on again and do a hard reset and see if that works for you. I can confirm that it certainly worked for my phone, my wife's phone and three of the guys at my work who were all having the same battery drain issues.

You may scoff but you do it at your own peril... unless you don't have the switch that is!! :p

On a iPod touch should I turn wifi on off then hard reset?

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Sorry Thetonyk123, I have no idea about a fix for the iPod Touch... I got the battery issues with my 16Gb iPhone 4 and my wife's identical iPhone 4. We also both have an 8Gb 4th Generation iPod Touch and we have a 64Gb WiFi only iPad 2 as well and it was only the phones that we got the drained battery issue with. We are early adopters, sometimes at our own peril because we did, somewhat prematurely, upgrade to iOS 5 on the day it was released, on ALL our iDevices. Probably worth a bit longer wait at the next major update!!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This Works For Me

Damn, I guess I should have disclosed that I'm in Sydney Australia and I think all we have here is 3G. Hope you guys find a fix soon, though I fear it may only come through Apple's pending iOS 5 update. :confused:

Here in the UK, but I don't have to hard re-set....What seems to happen is that 3G gets enabled, even when I'm on a wifi network.

I have posted in the UK battery forum about the detail, but basically, if you keep tabs on it and ensure it remains off until you need it, it does seem to help.

Blurtooth is another offender, and comes enabled by default with the 4S....I'm told that 5.01 will address this issue, but for now I'm charging the second full cycle and am guesstimating between 15 and 20% less battery life than my 4.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I cannot speak about a fix but ... depending on what network type you have GSM (yes) or CDMA (no) you can or cannot toggle 3g.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
I'm on ATT and I can toggle the "3G" as well. Will update to see if this helps me.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I'm on ATT and I can toggle the "3G" as well. Will update to see if this helps me.

Which iPhone model are you using? I, too, can toggle 3G on/off however I'm on a 3GS; it was my understanding that the removal of the 3G toggle was only on the 4S from what I've been reading in these forums.

Mine's under Settings>General>Network.

Attachments

• 3gtoggle.png
    3gtoggle.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 88

MooneyFlyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2007
Boston
Interesting. My 3GS running iOS5 has that option as well... I knew I left it hanging around in a random drawer for some reason.

Same screen on my 4S doesn't have that option though obviously the phone will back down to edge when it has to...

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
Will be trying this in a few minutes and will report back and see how it goes.

I turned off 3g (waited until edge showed up)
Turned 3g back on (waited until 3g showed up)
Did hard reset

update tomorrow evening on my findings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.