Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
The 4S is supposedly the "World Phone" GSM & CDMA but I don't see why Apple would remove the option to switch between EDGE and 3G?? Clearly the option has been removed on the 4S, but it Doesn't make sense to me exactly why they would do it... :confused: Steve Jobs is gone and Apple start doing silly things. I hope this isn't a taste of things to come!! :eek:

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
The 4S is supposedly the "World Phone" GSM & CDMA but I don't see why Apple would remove the option to switch between EDGE and 3G?? Clearly the option has been removed on the 4S, but it Doesn't make sense to me exactly why they would do it... :confused: Steve Jobs is gone and Apple start doing silly things. I hope this isn't a taste of things to come!! :eek:

You know they developed iOS 5 over a year before he died right?

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
You know they developed iOS 5 over a year before he died right?
Granted, probably even earlier than that, but I doubt that Jobs had anywhere near as much input as he did with the earlier releases, if any, with his health issues and extended medical leaves over the past few years.

It just seems to me, rightly or wrongly, that the usual attention to detail that we have come to expect from Apple wasn't quite there with this release...

Apple, particularly under the leadership of Jobs always had the reputation of NOT pushing something out unless it was ready, tested and working!!

What happened to "It Just Works..."

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY

I read elsewhere on the forum here that the cellular chipset does not allow for individually turning off 3G. I think someone said the Verizon iPhone 4 didn't have the 3G toggle either.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
This conclusion may have been posted already, but here is what I believe to be at least one of the battery related issues in iOS5.

Until last night I had not turned on iCloud back-ups, and was getting fairly good battery life to that point. I decided I was finally ready to give this a try, and so I turned it on last night to let it do its thing while charging. I never saw any indication of it backing up but honestly, I'm not sure what to look for. Suffice it to say, I assume it was working on this in the background.

This morning I unplugged (100% charge) and went to to work. Normally by lunch time and not using my phone much (mostly standby), I would be down to 97-98%. Today as I was about to go to lunch I noticed my phone was slightly warmer in my pocket than normal, so I took it out and it was down to 87%. As per my usual routine, I had no time do do anything on my phone before lunch, so this was only standby time. Assuming this was related somehow to iCloud back-ups, I disabled the feature at that point. The phone returned to a normal temp, and the battery has returned to a normal pace of battery depletion.

No More Windows

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Sydney Australia
Oh well, at least Apple has finally admitted that this is a problem and promised a fix in a couple of weeks. I hope this little trick fixes the problem for the ones that do have this option to toggle the 3G data switch, and those who don't, I guess the "Official" fix should be here soon enough. :eek:

webmasterindia6

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Hello Friends I have no so much idea about it, But after reading your post i get some knowledge about it. so thank you.

newyearbabie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
My battery drain issue solved

I have a second email account set up on my iPhone4, a MS Exchange account from work. Someone suggested that apps were running in the background even though they didn't show themselves when you hit the Home button twice. I repeatedly checked for apps running in the background and found nothing. Finally
I took the exchange account off my phone, then restored it, and the battery drain problem was solved. I have since reloaded the Exchange email account and my battery life is outstanding. I'm on Day 3 without a charge- texting, calling, surfing, and listening to an audiobook- and still have 47% of the battery left. I'm so happy!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.