Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Research firm Gartner today released its results of worldwide mobile phone sales for the third quarter of 2011, once again revealing how delayed purchases ahead of the iPhone 4S resulted in a dip in unit sales and market share for Apple. According to the report, Apple's share of the total mobile phone market came in at 3.9% for the quarter, down from 4.6% in the previous quarter. The performance was strong enough, however, to maintain fourth place in the rankings behind Nokia, Samsung, and LG.
Apple shipped 17 million iPhones, an annual increase of 21 percent, but down nearly 3 million units from the second quarter of 2011 because of Apple's new device announcement in October. Gartner believes Apple will bounce back in the fourth quarter because of its strongest ever preorders for the iPhone 4S in the first weekend after its announcement. Markets such as Brazil, Mexico, Russia and China are becoming more important to Apple, representing 16 percent of overall sales and showing that the iPhone has a place in emerging markets, especially now that the 3GS and 4 have received price cuts.
Looking at the narrower smartphone market, which represented 26% of mobile phone sales during the quarter, iOS slipped from an 18.2% share in the second quarter to 15.0% in the third quarter, trailing market leader Android and Nokia's soon-to-be-defunct Symbian platforms. Notably, Android leapt to grab 52.5% of the smartphone market during the quarter, more than doubling year-over-year and up significantly from 43.4% just last quarter.

gartner_3Q11_smartphones.jpg

But even as Android surges to take more than half of the worldwide smartphone market by units, Apple continues to increase its share of mobile phone industry profits, with several studies showing that Apple currently takes in more than half of the industry's profits.

oppenheimer_smartphone_profit_share.jpg

In another stark example of Apple's rise to dominance in profit share, Fortune yesterday published several charts from a new report from analysts at Oppenheimer & Co. The graphs show that while Apple's share of smartphone unit sales has somewhat stagnated over the past couple of years, its share of smartphone profits has soared to an estimated 65% during 2011. That trend is predicted to continue in 2012, with Apple pushing toward 70% profit share.

Article Link: Android Tops 50% Share of Smartphone Sales, But Apple Still Dominating Profits

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Nice stats.

Hopefully now that Android 4.0 source is out, we'll see some true competition, resulting in Apple being put in a position where they have to go on the defensive and up their game (not that its not already 'upped') to new levels.

Competition is the only way to ensure both iOS and Android will remain the excellent platforms that they currently are.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Those marketshare reports always fail to include the iPod and the iPad, which are all part of the iOS ecosystem. If they actually included ALL iOS devices in those studies, the TRUTH would be revealed: that Apple completely dominates & decimates their competition.

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
In 2007 Steve Jobs said he was after only 1% marketshare. Obviously, marketshare is not what they are chasing.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Competition is the only way to ensure both iOS and Android will remain the excellent platforms that they currently are.

Android is an excellent platform? We must have very different definitions of the word "Excellent".

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
HTC Headquarters, 5 minutes ago...

Dammit! 50% and we still ain't making any profitz! Unleash the hyper-cheapo/BOGO handsets and make it 60%!111!!!!!

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Those marketshare reports always fail to include the iPod and the iPad, which are all part of the iOS ecosystem. If they actually included ALL iOS devices in those studies, the TRUTH would be revealed: that Apple completely dominates & decimates their competition.

Yap, because the iPod touch is a very good smartphone, isn't?

Android is an excellent platform? We must have very different definitions of the word "Excellent".
Well, you also have a definition for smartphone or phone that includes iPod Touch and ipad, so yes, perhaps your definition of excellent may be also wrong

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

Why include them? This is only about phones and based on that, Android marketshare can't be touched.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Maybe because the stats are about smartphones as per the chart and not based on operating system. Note it's SAMSUNG not Android/Windows.

So what "truth" are you looking for. In sales, others are dominant. In profits, Apple does.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
good now apple can stop being lazy and release a new phone. going the "but it sells anyway" route wont work forever and they better realize it before its too late. now u can vote me down whatever

TSYoder

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
Dalton, Ohio
Well, this only makes sense. I know so many folks that buy a Samsung or HTC, then look at my iPhone and say, "Wow, your phone works!".

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
The iPod and the iPad are not a phone. Only the iPhone is. Can you make calls with a iPod or iPad via a celluar network? Thought so.

Here we go again. Yes, some people prefer Android and some iOS en some others WP7. It's called personal prefference. Bassicly it is letting them pick the tool that they want to use to acomplish the same thing.

Both iOS,Android and WP7 are very good, and they both have their positive and negative sides. Who are you to judge someone just because they use a different platform...

Last edited:

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
This saddest part of all this is I remember a time, not too long ago, when you were considered cool having iPhones, and MacBook Pros, etc......now everyone has one.....

Last edited by a moderator:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Really? You want to start that debate up?

Android is obviously an excellent platform if over 50% of smartphones are shipping with it. The hardware providers wouldn't be using it otherwise.

Shockingly just because we're on an Apple orientated fan site it doesn't mean that Apple > All Competitors, despite one or two users narrow minded views.

Debate over, I dont care if you think Android is a piece of <insert insult here>, facts are facts and the fact it, its clearly doing pretty damn well.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Why include them? This is only about phones and based on that, Android marketshare can't be touched.

Android is, for better or worse, rapidly becoming the Microsoft Windows of the phone market. Their market share will keep going up for some time yet. The question is whether this time, Apple will be able to stay relevant instead of going into hibernation.

Right now, there are really no downsides (except OS flexibility, which is almost always going to be a downside of choosing Apple over their major competitor) to owning an iPhone that result from Android's marketshare. Unless and until market share drives developers away from iOS, it really doesn't matter to consumers. And it clearly isn't hurting Apple's bottom line. I'm not saying the analysis would be reasonable by trying to include non-phone devices (which exist for both Android and iOS, but in which Apple vastly outnumbers competitors), but they are relevant, in that they make up the overall consumer demand for software and services on iOS, which in turn is what keeps the iPhone relevant.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Well, this only makes sense. I know so many folks that buy a Samsung or HTC, then look at my iPhone and say, "Wow, your phone works!".

im starting to get "bullied" for my iphone at uni :( everyones like hahahaha look at that screen or hey can u send me that song over bluetooth .. oh wait. its starting to get rly annoying

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This saddest part of all this is I remember a time, not too long ago, when you were considered cool having iPhones, and MacBook Pros, etc......now everyone has one.....

If the iPhone wasn't so popular you wouldn't have the healthy eco system that iOS currently has.

OSX.. remember 2003? I do - 2012 vs 2003 - more hardware supported, more "mainstream" software, more games etc.

The more popular a product, the more support - hardware, software from 3rd parties.

Last edited by a moderator:

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
im starting to get "bullied" for my iphone at uni :( everyones like hahahaha look at that screen or hey can u send me that song over bluetooth .. oh wait. its starting to get rly annoying

Gee whiz you let opinions bother you about a device that you obviously like allot :rolleyes:

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Really? You want to start that debate up?

Android is obviously an excellent platform if over 50% of smartphones are shipping with it. The hardware providers wouldn't be using it otherwise.

Gee, and I thought the OEM's just liked it 'cause it was "free", which it turns out it really isn't. (see MS IP licensing).

Oh, I'm sorry, was the debate over?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.