Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
how many billions per year profit does google see from android and all it's deals associated with it?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
It's the same psychological phenomenon you see in sports of 'Basking in Relflected Glory' that you see in sports. Fanboys see Apple winning as 'them' winning.

They completely miss the point that overpaying for a product and filling Apple's coffers to an embarrassing level doesn't benefit them as a consumer.

At best they'll give some lame excuse that this allows Apple to continue to innovate...even though they out innovate anybody with 20% of the cash they have on hand.

The best thing for consumers is strong competition. The iP4 came about because Android was considered an emerging threat. Before that people were begging for cut and paste, MMS and a usuable camera....stuff other devices had but Apple wouldn't give us...

Agree 100%

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
As is Android, no? Sure they don't have THE profits of Apple - but they the phone manufacturers are definitely making money.

Greater market share also means that developers are (more) likely to distribute their applications on Android because they can get them to a wide audience.

Personally - I believe there is plenty of room in the marketplace for both iOS and other OS's/phone manufacturers which provide everyone with a choice of what they want. There's plenty of profits to go around. I don't subscribe to the notion that one company should rule them all or "kill" the competition. Quite silly.

Finally - feel free to stop trying to dictate what people post or don't post on the thread. Comments like "stick on topic" are unnecessary unless you want me and others to start policing your every post to for relevance. Thought not.

iOS market share is huge. Developers would be a fool to not develop for it. The other very important thing to remember is developers make more money of iOS then they do on Android...

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
As is Android, no? Sure they don't have THE profits of Apple - but they the phone manufacturers are definitely making money.

Yep, but none of the manufacturers have 50% market share.

Greater market share also means that developers are (more) likely to distribute their applications on Android because they can get them to a wide audience.

Personally - I believe there is plenty of room in the marketplace for both iOS and other OS's/phone manufacturers which provide everyone with a choice of what they want. There's plenty of profits to go around. I don't subscribe to the notion that one company should rule them all or "kill" the competition. Quite silly.

Sure, but as I stated, my point is that Apple enjoys those benefits to a greater degree than Google/Android. So the fact that Android has a huge market share lead isn't as significant as it would seem.

My theory is that fragmentation is more of an issue for Android than has been made out to date. (And it has been a big issue to date.) There has already been some analyses that have included not-Android tablets in the Android market share numbers. To what extent does this happen with smartphones? But, in my theory, a more significant subset of Android users may be buying an Android phone and not using it as a smartphone to any significant extent.

I'm not trying to bash Android, just trying to create an explanation as to why Android's impact seems to be so much farther behind than it's market share. Of course, the other obvious and significant factor is the idea that Android users are less likely to purchase apps. Something that probably extends throughout the ecosystem, devaluing it overall.

Finally - feel free to stop trying to dictate what people post or don't post on the thread. Comments like "stick on topic" are unnecessary unless you want me and others to start policing your every post to for relevance. Thought not.

I am just asking you to stop commenting on me.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
This is excellent news, always nice to see Google driving the industry forward. They deserve all the success they get.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
how many billions per year profit does google see from android and all it's deals associated with it?

2.5 Billion last year, and its expected to double to 5 Billion in the next year, not including revenue from in-app adverts through their acquisition of AdMob.

Edit: To the person who down-voted this, very mature. Bet you wont come out and admit the down vote....pathetic.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If you look a bit closer, you'll find for example that Macs are high quality products that Apple's competitors cannot match at the same price, even though Apple sells at some excellent profit.

You do realize that the internal components of an Apple computer is the same as you'd find in any other computer, right? The hard disc, RAM, graphic cards etc are all bulk standard ( In fact, graphic cards found in Apple PCs are often inferior to their Windows PC counter parts )

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
It always puzzles me when apple fanboys get defensive about who leads a market (them not being the one) and then scream, "But we own everyone in profits". Most rational people would see that as a group of people collectively overpaying for something and actually enjoying doing so. If there weren't fanboys, apple would have to start it's own wireless carrier. Because the existing ones have a much smaller margin on iPhone vs. others.

yeah, sad thing is there is no "we" but "THEY own everyone in profits" - as consumers it makes no sense to celebrate it.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Or maybe some people genuinely prefer Android, or is that an impossibility?

I'm not going to bring up silly comments involving the word 'fanboy' as I find it pathetic, but your post gives the impression that you think that everyone who owns an Android phone wants an iPhone but cant afford it or cant get it where they are. If thats truly your view then you have a problem.

"Problem" is a understatement.
Some people think iPhone is the only thing out there and that is scary.

I for one like my iP4 but choose HTC for everyday use. Everything on android gets done faster. Access to information, certain google tools and it's all on my screen without having to open app, wait for it to load, search the info I'm seeking and etc. Some people really don't get it but that's ok. I just wonder why they act like they know something when clearly they have no clue whatsoever.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
You do realize that the internal components of an Apple computer is the same as you'd find in any other computer, right? The hard disc, RAM, graphic cards etc are all bulk standard ( In fact, graphic cards found in Apple PCs are often inferior to their Windows PC counter parts )

^ This. People also seem to forget that if anyone tried to make a computer like the iMac (for example) Apple would be all over them with patent lawsuits.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
It always puzzles me when apple fanboys get defensive about who leads a market (them not being the one) and then scream, "But we own everyone in profits". Most rational people would see that as a group of people collectively overpaying for something and actually enjoying doing so. If there weren't fanboys, apple would have to start it's own wireless carrier. Because the existing ones have a much smaller margin on iPhone vs. others.

Who over paid. I have never once felt like I over paid for my iPhones. And millions and millions of peope line up every year for the latest iPhone, people don't do that for something that is overpriced. It may not fit in your budget, but there is nothing over priced about the value I get from my iPhone...

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008

Thank you. I wasn't going to get long winded with someone who clearly has blinders on. Anyone who doesn't see this as good market competition that should drive others is nuts.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Nice stats.

Hopefully now that Android 4.0 source is out, we'll see some true competition, resulting in Apple being put in a position where they have to go on the defensive and up their game (not that its not already 'upped') to new levels.

Competition is the only way to ensure both iOS and Android will remain the excellent platforms that they currently are.

there are already reports of hyped features like the face unlock in ICS not working

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth

That is your problem right there.
I don't give a crap how much mega corporations make. All I want is a product which will meet my needs for a decent price. It's my hard earned money after all and that's the only thing that matters.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
A profit share graph seems very nebulous to me. Suppose that Symbian were generating a net loss. Their "profit share" could actually be a negative number - and theoretically Apple could claim "130%" of the smartphone profits as compared to their losses :confused::confused::confused:

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

not true for MBP's

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
One problem with these statistics is that it mangles together the cheap Android devices and the high end Android devices. Of course there are more cheap low quality devices sold than high end devices that are more expensive. What I really would like to see is the Android market share broken down in high end devices (that compare to the iPhone) and the cheap once that you basically get for free (but break after short time). Than the statistics should be broken down to compare cheap devices with cheap ones, and expensive higher quality once with expensive higher quality ones ... Android probably has 99.9% of the cheapo market share ... but the interesting part is which market share have the high quality android devices compared to iOS? It sort of shows already in the bottom line of how much money the manufactures make ... they don't make much on the free ones (obviously) ... but they make money on the expensive high quality ones (And that is what is important for any company, how much money do they make with it)

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
It's the same psychological phenomenon you see in sports of 'Basking in Relflected Glory' that you see in sports. Fanboys see Apple winning as 'them' winning.

They completely miss the point that overpaying for a product and filling Apple's coffers to an embarrassing level doesn't benefit them as a consumer.

At best they'll give some lame excuse that this allows Apple to continue to innovate...even though they out innovate anybody with 20% of the cash they have on hand.

The best thing for consumers is strong competition. The iP4 came about because Android was considered an emerging threat. Before that people were begging for cut and paste, MMS and a usuable camera....stuff other devices had but Apple wouldn't give us...

Android people are so oversensitive - don't they have their own forums to go to bash apple fanboys? Or are apple forums better than the android forums too? Which don't get me wrong, I'm sure the android forums have more market share than apple forums which I'm completely ok with...seriously.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
"Problem" is a understatement.
Some people think iPhone is the only thing out there and that is scary.

I for one like my iP4 but choose HTC for everyday use. Everything on android gets done faster. Access to information, certain google tools and it's all on my screen without having to open app, wait for it to load, search the info I'm seeking and etc. Some people really don't get it but that's ok. I just wonder why they act like they know something when clearly they have no clue whatsoever.

I was being polite :p

I completely agree with you. I've got a number of iOS and Android devices for development. I actually use an unbranded Android handset over my iPhone. Its faster and as you said, I can get things done a lot faster. Thats not to say that I dont love my iPhone, because I do.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Why include them? This is only about phones and based on that, Android marketshare can't be touched.

Who cares if they have 50, 60, 80 or higher percent if the total profitability split among ALL those manufacturers is a pittance? That's like saying "you only have a single honey-baked ham, but WE share this bowl with at least THIRTY grains of rice."

reefoid

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
UK
That is your problem right there.
I don't give a crap how much mega corporations make. All I want is a product which will meet my needs for a decent price of my hard earned money.

Agreed. I really don't understand all this praise because a company makes more money than another, unless you're a shareholder. If my food supermarket started reporting a massive rise in profits and billions in assets, I wouldn't be praising them, I'd be asking why they keep putting their prices up. Weird how the reverse happens with Apple.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Who over paid. I have never once felt like I over paid for my iPhones. And millions and millions of peope line up every year for the latest iPhone, people don't do that for something that is overpriced. It may not fit in your budget, but there is nothing over priced about the value I get from my iPhone...

and then there's those who rationalize it. You are right, everyone determines "value" for themselves. Clearly what these numbers indicate is more than half see value in Android. I encourage anyone with "fanboyism" to read a book titled "The Upside of Irrationality" by Dan Ariely

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

I used to work for an OEM. There are top self components and there are bottom shelf components... Most cheap computers are just that, cheap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.