Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukekarts

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Both my girlfriend and I have MacBook Airs; however my girlfriend is eligible for Teacher discount via the Apple Store as a Primary School teacher.

Would it be possible for her to buy two AppleCare packs using her discount (buying one for me and one for her)? e.g. would it be invalidated if I use one, would there be any repercussions etc.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I don't see why not; you are allowed to buy applecare on a phone you get off ebay...

However, I think that if anything does happen to your computer, she will have to be the one to send it in for repairs (can anyone verify this?), since the applecare will be registered in her name. Else, what's to stop her from buying multiple copies for all her friends and relatives?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
However, I think that if anything does happen to your computer, she will have to be the one to send it in for repairs (can anyone verify this?), since the applecare will be registered in her name. Else, what's to stop her from buying multiple copies for all her friends and relatives?

Applecare is registered to the serial number of the machine, not the owner. I don't see why buying Applecare at a reduced rate (although you should check out Bhphotovideo.com to do a comparison of price) would matter.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

Is PortableOne an authorized Apple reseller? I don't see any mention of that on their website and I don't recall hearing anything about them before. They do claim Sony and Toshiba authorization. Apple can be really sticky about Applecare bought from non-authorized sources.

LA Computer Company and B&H are Apple authorized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.