Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
I'm at my MIL's house for a few days. She has no wireless, but I figured no biggie, I'll use my laptop (powerbook g4 running 10.5) to set up a computer-to-computer network for the ipad.

I hooked the laptop up to the ethernet, created the network, set the password. Looks good on the computer end.

Go to the iPad - enter settings, choose the ad hoc network under wifi. Wait for it to connect. Click the right arrow and wait for it to assign me an IP. Okay, it's got an IP, the wifi symbol is up in the corner, everything looks fine.

But my apps are all convinced I'm not connected to the internet! Web browser, app store, nothing seems to be able to use this connection.

What am I doing wrong?? Everything *looks* exactly like any instructions I can find say it should, but it doesn't work. Obviously the ethernet works, that's what I'm posting this over on the laptop. Help!

Billydelp4

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2008
do you have internet sharing on? I believe if you do not have it turned on in your system preferences -> sharing then it will not work as an access point but rather just a computer to computer network.

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Thank you! That worked, I am now posting from the iPad. Somehow either none of the pages I found before mentioned that, or I completely managed to overlook it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.