Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrweaver

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2010
I use connect360, I have been using it for quite a while it is not free but works very well. You can get it on app store $19.99. It works the best of all the programs I have tried. I dont even remember the other ones I have tried because they didn't work well.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
http://www.serviio.org/

Excellent bit of a kit as it won't just allow you to stream, but also does live transcoding of unsupported file formats so you don't have to bother converting everything!

Also it will stream to any DLNA device - other laptop, TV, etc. etc. etc., and its free!

Last edited:

IgiveyoutheFBI

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
UK
Chalk up another one for the PS3 Media Server, I have used it for a couple of years now on both my PS3 and Xbox without problem.

adjmanley

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2012
I have managed to get my Mac to see my Xbox however I cannot get the Xbox to view the Mac? Any suggestions?

Famous Mortimer

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
I'm also struggling with this. I've tried a variety of different programs and none of them are showing up on 360's video player page.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I used to use Connect360 and it worked pretty well but honestly...

An AppleTV is what I use now and it's a billion times better.

falterego

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2008
Southern California
I used to use Connect360 and it worked pretty well but honestly...

An AppleTV is what I use now and it's a billion times better.

I also used Connect360 but found the AirPlay option to be so much better. Mostly because I have a nice point and click interface on my laptop rather than a controller joystick navigated clunky process on the 360 itself.

twitch88

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Austin, TX
I use PS3 Media Server for both my PS3 and XBOX. Works great on both. I didn't even have to change any settings when I first tried it with the 360.

LimeInACoconut

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2012
Free App to stream to Mac

Try Rivet. It's a discontinued app from the little app factory. It's free and it works. Here's the link

http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/

Just run the app and configure it to the proper directories with your movies. Then on your xBox, go to Video Player and select your laptop as the source and you should be able to navigate to the folders you specified with your movies.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Twonky Media server works good for me. They also have app for iOS devices so you can stream to your mobile and from it (sorta like AirPlay). However, I've only used it to stream from my iMac (and Mini) to my two XBOX360s. I got it free with somethign (don't remember) and then I noticed my new Network Storage drive (NAS) has Twonky Media server pre-loaded to stream directly from my 3TB external drive to my XBOX, iOS devices, etc

sTEALtooth

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
PS3 Media Server Works

I found this thread, downloaded PS3MS, installed it, and 10mins after my search began I'm streaming from my Xbox. Done. No more transferring shows to my thumb drive!

teffers

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2013
United Kingdom
I've just tried Ps3 media server and it does work, however on some files it suffers from really bad audio sync problems.

A million and one settings to choose from - gonna take me a while to tick / untick them all :confused:

KidFrost

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
Free and works!

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I thought it would be good for anyone accessing this thread to know that if you want something that works and is FREE, download Vuze.

Now, I know what you are thinking, Vuze is a bit torrent client... True, but that not all it does. It also allows you to stream content (i.e. movies/music...) from your mac to your xbox.

Check out this link... http://www.vuze.com/features/device

MainframePrime

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Vuze worked for me

I downloaded Connect360. It sucked!

I downloaded PS3MediaServer. It sucked!

I downloaded Vuze. Awesome!

It's Free and Simple. (like your mom)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.