Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveBeat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
One of the employees here had a problem with Distiller. The applicationw as not performing it's task and creating a PDF out of an Illustrator EPS. Originally, I trashed his prefs, messed with settings, reinstalled, etc. Nothing worked. So I created him a new user account, reinstalled Acrobat Pro and Distiller and then the app worked! But two days later, the application went back to doing nothing? I am kinda at my wits' end with this guy... any suggestions?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Distiller 6 on Panther, right?
Have found v.6 to be a little flaky and the app often needs restarting.

What's it doing? Is it hanging, flushing the job etc. Any error messages?
Could it be font problems? Any fonts in the EPS? Have you tried converting them to outlines?

What PDF settings are you using? If it's PDF X1A, it won't like RGB files at all...

Have you tried printing PostScript to a watched folder or dragging the PS file onto Distiller?

SteveBeat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2003
When an EPS is dragged into Distiller, the standard text comes up. It says the job has completed, but the PDF is nowhere to be found on the desktop or anywhere inside the HD. After the initial job, any other EPS dragged in there takes "0 seconds". Then the app sits. Nothing crashes, it just seems there's no output. Thanks for the quick reply, I sent your message along to him.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I've had probs on one Mac at work with Adobe CS apps not being able to save to the desktop. Repairing permissions fixes this every time although the problem seems to reoccur every so often, necessitating more permission fixing.

Could something like this be happening as a new user account & reinstall seemed to temporarily fix it? You don't happen to have Quark 6 on that Mac, by any chance? The reason I ask is that it's notorious for messing with permissions upon installation.

Also, have you downloaded the latest Acrobat updater from adobe.com?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.