Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
mac os 9 meet mountain lion ;-)

picture.php

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
even more

awesome if you installed A-dock and snow leopard kaleidoscope theme.

Mac OS 9 not dead *yet*.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
The only things

mac os 9 lacks is a modern browser, better usb 2.0 support and some way to easily handle youtube and other video sites. Don't get me wrong, I love Classilla, but Kaiser can't get it any more modern by himself, and has fallen back on making the most of mobile sites instead. It's a good strategy, but one that relegates os 9 to the realm of nostalgia. But its great nostalgia, and many people still get useful work done on their old OS 9 macs. Powerpoint is powerpoint, right?

If Mr. Visalck gets the snow leopard theme up, would he mind posting a pic?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
mac os 9 lacks is a modern browser, better usb 2.0 support and some way to easily handle youtube and other video sites. Don't get me wrong, I love Classilla, but Kaiser can't get it any more modern by himself, and has fallen back on making the most of mobile sites instead. It's a good strategy, but one that relegates os 9 to the realm of nostalgia. But its great nostalgia, and many people still get useful work done on their old OS 9 macs. Powerpoint is powerpoint, right?

If Mr. Visalck gets the snow leopard theme up, would he mind posting a pic?

The OS is well over a decade old. How can you compare it like that? The web has changed dramatically, and there was no such thing as USB 2.0 until 2000. You can't expect an OS from the 90's to serve as a primary OS now.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
The OS is well over a decade old. How can you compare it like that? The web has changed dramatically, and there was no such thing as USB 2.0 until 2000. You can't expect an OS from the 90's to serve as a primary OS now.

If the computer isn't online it shouldn't be an issue..

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
If the computer isn't online it shouldn't be an issue..

Imixmuan was referring to web browsers & USB 2.0

I agree with you, it's no problem offline, I use it daily on my 12" PowerBook and I love it for retro games and software. I was just expressing a point that you can't expect a near 15 year old OS to have USB 2.0 and modern web browsers.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Imixmuan was referring to web browsers & USB 2.0

I agree with you, it's no problem offline, I use it daily on my 12" PowerBook and I love it for retro games and software. I was just expressing a point that you can't expect a near 15 year old OS to have USB 2.0 and modern web browsers.

Thats true..

Out of context..My apologies

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
good points

gotfrey makes. Mac OS 9 toolkit hasn't been updated since 2002, and there never will be any updates, so a modern web browser along the lines of tenfourfox or omniweb is just not possible. I was only saying its a damn shame we can't have those things, cause otherwise mac os 9 is perfectly usable. That's all.

A truly lightweight ppc linux along the lines of puppy or tiny core would also be awesome, as those machines could be brought forward. Linux MintPPC is pretty lightweight, but grinded my g3 ibook to a halt when more than one app was open at a time

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
maybe a ppc emulator for original iphone browser?

I have thought about a modern browser for ppc and I think Classilla's mobile approach is the best direct way of using the web through an app. I wonder how hard could it be to create an emulator for the orginal iphone, at least it's browser. I see emulators for NES, SNES, Windows 9x and so many others on ppc, so would it be difficult to do the same for the iphone or android and try out some iOS apk files or android apps and see if they can run on a classic mac.. now that would be cool, especially the tablet-sized ones! of course that brings up the issue of touch-screens, but it's a thought. what do guys think?

[as far as other apps, there are some great mail clients, office '07 and up two-way office file readers and converters. I have readily used vnc apps to wirelessly log into another user on my leopard/snow leopard macs and have shared folder to work on files on both systems. I have even shared my dropbox folder to post things online (although at one point, classilla worked and may still to log remotely on their homesite). divx has been a little more hit and miss, but I have played a few videos, too.]

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
I think he had the image of his themed desktop uploaded somewhere, which may have been deleted by the hosting site, hence the missing picture.

Tom, can you post your desktop screenshot again or post a link to it online somewhere? Thanks, would love to see your screenshot!

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
mac os 9 meet mountain lion ;-)

I think he had the image of his themed desktop uploaded somewhere, which may have been deleted by the hosting site, hence the missing picture.

Tom, can you post your desktop screenshot again or post a link to it online somewhere? Thanks, would love to see your screenshot!

Yes, I'm quoting him here and he has used the IMG tags.

ckweb

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Thanks for the reply, Mr. Keeks. I think it may be my iPod touch's browser that is just displaying a 1x1 image placeholder instead of the actual image..lol!

I'll recheck your post on my MacBook when I get back to the house. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.