Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepopnick

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
I don't know if it's because I have an older Macbook Pro from late 2007 or what, but the newly released Messages App (beta version) crashes every time I open it. I'm running Lion. Anybody else having this problem?

Model: MacBookPro2,1, BootROM MBP21.00A5.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz, 3 GB, SMC 1.14f5

haisdeaks

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
England
got the exact same problem on both my 2010 macbook pro's running lion. it launches and brings up the last conversation opened then crashes a few moments later. restart doesn't help either :(

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
got the exact same problem on both my 2010 macbook pro's running lion. it launches and brings up the last conversation opened then crashes a few moments later. restart doesn't help either :(

I had the same issue with the app crashing continuously after each restart. Couldn't get it to stop until I answered "ignore" after a crash. Started fine after that... :D

Somewhat off topic question:
Is Messages supposed to receive text messages sent to my cell phone number? Only seems to work if the message is sent to one of my iCloud-associated email addresses.

haisdeaks

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
England
I had the same issue with the app crashing continuously after each restart. Couldn't get it to stop until I answered "ignore" after a crash. Started fine after that... :D
Doesn't work for me :(

Is Messages supposed to receive text messages sent to my cell phone number? Only seems to work if the message is sent to one of my iCloud-associated email addresses.
No, pretty sure it wont sync your SMS messages with the Messages app on your mac.

RKO

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
It was working fine for me on early 2011 MBP running 10.7.3 until it started crashing a week ago. I did an uninstall from the messages menu and then a reinstall. Has been working again for the past week with no more issues.

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005

As stated earlier no. It is not possible, at least as of right now. If it was, you wouldn't have the problem I had with iPhone + iPad. I was not receiving iMessages on my iPad from my iPhone because my friends were sending it to my number rather than my Apple ID. I started conversations with them from my email to their email and everything has been smooth sailing.

MrBungleBear

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
UK
I don't know if it's because I have an older Macbook Pro from late 2007 or what, but the newly released Messages App (beta version) crashes every time I open it. I'm running Lion. Anybody else having this problem?

Yep - same here on my MacPro & Lion. It worked fine for a few days then crashed and now won't stay up for long enough for me to be able to uninstall it!! The suggested solution below of hitting ignore has not helped me either. And, when I look for it in /Applications, it's not there - even in the terminal!!

But, it's there int he finder... Very mysterious.

G>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.