Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
I did the interview last Wednesday in my university. I felt the interview was great. Cant wait to hear from them in about 2-3 weeks.

Did you apply for it too?

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Job

http://www.apple.com/jobs/collegeadvisor/

Seems like a sweet gig for a college student. Anyone here doing it?

Considering the way the market is right now, and gas going higher plus food prices going up, 16 hours at say 10 an hour isn't going to get you very far.. You are better off doing bartending or something, at least there you can make 100 or more a nite, assuming you have a bartender's license.

And frankly, the way Apple would pay for that kind of job is not worth it as you won't be able to support yourself too long on it.

Reactions: TIPOMAC

iHalo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Joshuarocks, you work from home so there is no commute! That is the beauty of it. It is definitely a great way to kickstart a career, as the job requires initiative and the ability to work both as an individual and in a team environment.

pinkcoffeecup

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2011
Yep

Well, I already did my in-person interview with them, last Tuesday. They asked me all kinds of questions, everything from what type of computer I have now, and its specs (RAM, memory, etc) to what I'd do if a customer, say, dropped his new macbook and broke it, but called to see if there was some kind of fix (which there obviously isn't, and Apple doesn't cover accidental damage in the warranty). So basically prepare for customer service questions, and some tech questions.

They also asked me about a problem I'd recently had with my computer, and the steps I took to solve it. I think I freaked the interviewer out, because I told him I was in the command prompt using things like ipconfig/renew, but I didn't know how much RAM my PC has. :p

Anyway, I got an email on Friday telling me that they wanted to move to a phone interview, which I scheduled a time and day for. But then this week, I got an email telling me that they decided to skip the phone interview entirely, and that I should move right along to filling out an official Apple application, and getting the background check started.

So I'm excited to hear about whether or not I got a job offer. :D But that's basically my process so far--it didn't take long at all for them to get back to me, and I'm really hopeful. :)

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Well, I already did my in-person interview with them, last Tuesday. They asked me all kinds of questions, everything from what type of computer I have now, and its specs (RAM, memory, etc) to what I'd do if a customer, say, dropped his new macbook and broke it, but called to see if there was some kind of fix (which there obviously isn't, and Apple doesn't cover accidental damage in the warranty). So basically prepare for customer service questions, and some tech questions.

They also asked me about a problem I'd recently had with my computer, and the steps I took to solve it. I think I freaked the interviewer out, because I told him I was in the command prompt using things like ipconfig/renew, but I didn't know how much RAM my PC has. :p

Anyway, I got an email on Friday telling me that they wanted to move to a phone interview, which I scheduled a time and day for. But then this week, I got an email telling me that they decided to skip the phone interview entirely, and that I should move right along to filling out an official Apple application, and getting the background check started.

So I'm excited to hear about whether or not I got a job offer. :D But that's basically my process so far--it didn't take long at all for them to get back to me, and I'm really hopeful. :)

good luck, but this doesn't change the fact the job market is still horrible and still worse than ever before. Health care at least is where one should be, as you can never run out of doctors and nurses.

Joshuarocks

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Somewhere in Cyberspace
Funny, this position does not exist for the local Maryland Apple Stores.. sounds like an experimental position they are trying out for California college students, but nevertheless 10-11 an hour is not being financially independent.. with gas going up and up, food prices going up and a country heading towards BARBARISM, its no wonder that so much is not working to help the situation.

I am not a college student, but I do pride myself with 30 years of customer service experience, 1000 times greater than any college student combined.

Torch911

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
I think this thing is awesome. I had my interview last week and am awaiting the responses for the background check I agreed to. As for the points Joshuarocks makes, this is a student position for 20 hours (you get partial benefits at 16 and full at 20 hours a week). Granted I could and have made a bunch more money waiting tables this is good work at home (no commute) for a quality company (beats "Bartender" on the resume) and while 10+ won't make you rich, it beats the tar out of what student positions on campus are paying. I've also read people complaining about how few schools there are but considering the program is three years old, 10 universities is a good number for a test program.

Good luck to all who applied and interviewed, hopefully we'll be in training together soon!

Fozzybadfeet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2009

I too am on the same boat as you. Apple cancelled my second interview and decided to move forward with the application and background check...Waiting patiently to hear back from my background check.

Does anyone know how long the background check takes?

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
I posted my resume and applied on their site for the AHA position in June. I got an e-mail 2 weeks later asking to complete a short eligibility assessment and then got a brief phone call last week asking general questions that were similar to the online assessment i completed.

The recruiter said they'd have a decision in a few weeks. It's a bit disappointing to have to wait that long to know their decision because i have an in-person interview for another job tomorrow and i'd like to know if Apple is moving forward with me or if they have decided to go with other candidates and just hasn't notified me of such actions.

I'd hate to accept a job offer and then a week later be asked to setup an interview with Apple for possible employment. I'd be stuck between risking a job i just got in order to seek possible employment with my dream company or stay in a job that i already have.

carrero15

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Apple At-Home Advisor

I have an interview with Apple about the at home advisor next week. Does anybody have any idea of the pay?

spurzack

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I am currently applying for the position and wondering if anyone generally knows what the work is like. Just want to hear someone's opinion of it.

Also, a few specific questions: it says it compensates internet and phone usage as well, does that mean we use our own phones to make these phone calls? What kind of iMac do they give you to use? And what is the pay?

Thanks!

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I too am on the same boat as you. Apple cancelled my second interview and decided to move forward with the application and background check...Waiting patiently to hear back from my background check.

Does anyone know how long the background check takes?

Gee, usually the background check only takes a day or so. They must have found out about this espionage and smuggling charges on your record. Shouldn't be a big problem, you think?? :eek:

Seriously, background checks can take some time, especially when they have to do a zillion of them.:)

Just don't mention the embezzlement charges and you should be fine.

Good luck, I hope you get the job and you enjoy it. :D:D

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
i forgot about this thread. :)

anyways i did end up getting the job, but through Kelly Services and not Apple directly. Been working as an iOS Advisor for 4 months now.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
I filled out an application for a similar position three or four weeks ago, and haven't heard anything back. However, I filled out the information from my current home, and the position is for another city, so therefore I am out of the radius.

Does anyone, know if they would still contact me, or should I fill it out again with one of my brothers addresses in that city?

Mikeyd640

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
Apple at home advisor position!

Hey all,

I applied for an at home advisor position at my university and I am really hoping to get the job. Has anyone else interviewed with them and know any questions that they asked? Did any of you actually get the job? What is it like? How was the hiring process? Long and drawn out or straight and to the point?

I saw a question online that said "if a customer called crying because she dropped her macbook and wanted help, what would you tell her considering they dont have a damage policy?" All I could think of is empathizing with her and scheduling an appointment to bring her in to see what she can do. Possibly try to work a deal out for a discount for a new one or repair? I am not to sure.

Thanks guys.

tdadarwala

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
i forgot about this thread. :)

anyways i did end up getting the job, but through Kelly Services and not Apple directly. Been working as an iOS Advisor for 4 months now.

-I have an phone interview on thursday April 5th. What kind of imac did you get? Are you still working for them? How is the pay? Would you recommend it?

firefoxsilver9

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Florida, USA
-I have an phone interview on thursday April 5th. What kind of imac did you get? Are you still working for them? How is the pay? Would you recommend it?

I got a 17 inch white iMac, though in most cases you'll get a 22 inch aluminum iMac if your hired from this point on (the advisors with the older imacs will get upgraded ones at the end of April). I still work there but i'm looking for another job at the moment. Its a great job with lots of overtime potential and schedule flexibility but i'm looking for something more IT-oriented and less to do with customer service. call center work can be stressful. The pay is $9.15 /hr which is ok for a part-time student living with parents like myself but even i'm looking for something that pays more.

My one advice during the phone interview is constantly mention how your there to service the customer first and foremost. Apple is huge on customer service. Also mention stuff like first-call resolution, low call handling time, upselling potential (you aren't 'required' to sell Applecare Protection Plans, But they do expect you to mention it on every eligible call) and technology.

Last edited:

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I applied... and my only thoughts on this are this:

I am really curious as to what their criteria for hiring is.

This is by all means an entry level job. The pay isn't great even if it is an at home job.

I submitted my resume. I am still in school, though I already have a job and have worked a few jobs. I own every Apple product known to man nearly. I did a FaceTime interview which proved I was already familiar with the ecosystem.

After all that, I got denied. Their reason in their I'm sure generic email really gets me ticking: "At this time we have chosen to move forward with other candidates that meet the needs of today". What does that even mean?

Anyway, it's a joke as far as I'm concerned. Yes I am bitter I didn't get it to an extent but if anything I felt I was over-qualified.

kitbic

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
I applied... and my only thoughts on this are this:

I am really curious as to what their criteria for hiring is.

This is by all means an entry level job. The pay isn't great even if it is an at home job.

I submitted my resume. I am still in school, though I already have a job and have worked a few jobs. I own every Apple product known to man nearly. I did a FaceTime interview which proved I was already familiar with the ecosystem.

After all that, I got denied. Their reason in their I'm sure generic email really gets me ticking: "At this time we have chosen to move forward with other candidates that meet the needs of today". What does that even mean?

Anyway, it's a joke as far as I'm concerned. Yes I am bitter I didn't get it to an extent but if anything I felt I was over-qualified.

I'm going through the process right now and am at the background check phase. How long after the check did you receive a decision?

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I'm going through the process right now and am at the background check phase. How long after the check did you receive a decision?

I was never notified of any background check so I am not sure if they even ran one on me. The interview consisted of very basic questions that tested my general knowledge of Apple and computers. The questions really held no merit or basis for my denial of a second interview, since I almost word for word defined every computer related item he gave me. Again, I am not sure what their criteria is or why they choose to waste so many people's time.

(I say they wasted my time because I skipped work that day to be available for the interview, and took two weeks to get back with me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.