Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hi, working on some initial concepts from some sketches I did for a company logo. The company is <removed>.

They want something fairly simple yet sophisticated, something that says <removed> at first glance.

Let me know your thoughts, what you like and what you don't.

All comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

EDIT: Images removed.

Thanks a lot everyone for all the feedback and comments, some very good points were made, both technical and constructive. I am going to work on doing some refinements et.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
<removed>

<removed> is just a place holder for now depending on which designs I take further, refine and present to the company et.

EDIT: Image removed.

Last edited:

davedee65

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
UK
3 for me also. Although I wonder what it would look like with flat colour molecules, thinking ahead to a wider use of the logo such as embroideries on uniforms/overalls etc where the radial gradient might be tricky to reproduce?

Very nice by the way.

Cheers
D

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
3 for me also. Although I wonder what it would look like with flat colour molecules, thinking ahead to a wider use of the logo such as embroideries on uniforms/overalls etc where the radial gradient might be tricky to reproduce?

Very nice by the way.

Cheers
D

Thanks. That's a good point too regarding the molecules and embroidery. Could possibly do a variation with flat molecules.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
My initial reaction FWIW:
1. Really like. Screams chemical. Looks very clean on the box. My fav.
2,3. Solid variations on 1.
4,11,12. Nuclear energy, atom bomb, Einstein.
5,6. Clever, perhaps too.
7. Balloons, kids party!
8, 9, 10. Graphics tacked on uncomfortably. Weak.

All in, some great ideas to get started.

Sad to see no conical flasks! Granted, they're a bit mad-scientist-y. :)

Show us the monochrome or better the black-white version of the logos ...

Yeah, I was a bit worried about how 1 would photocopy. No capitals to break up the words. Maybe 2 and 3 would be more resilient?

YESimBLUNTED

macrumors member
I like 3 and 6. Some of these I think the gray may be too light and might not reproduce as well as you think. Also, some of them have very tiny and thin lines that when scaled down will get lost in printing. I like how you handled number 6 with a periodic table element look, although I am not sure it would be the best because of the capital R and lowercase c, even though that is how element abbreviations look. So I would go with 3, just be aware of how light you go with the gray.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Great, thanks for the feedback guys, this is what I was looking for, all very good points.

Cheers,

----------

My initial reaction FWIW:
1. Really like. Screams chemical. Looks very clean on the box. My fav.
2,3. Solid variations on 1.
4,11,12. Nuclear energy, atom bomb, Einstein.
5,6. Clever, perhaps too.
7. Balloons, kids party!
8, 9, 10. Graphics tacked on uncomfortably. Weak.

All in, some great ideas to get started.

Sad to see no conical flasks! Granted, they're a bit mad-scientist-y. :)

Yeah, I was a bit worried about how 1 would photocopy. No capitals to break up the words. Maybe 2 and 3 would be more resilient?

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
5 and 6 looks like Adobe with its program boxes ... Wouldn't use that

If you make 6 with the style from 3 and capitalized RC in the box it might work.

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
#4 and #12 are the ones that immediately caught my eye. Being a graphic artist myself, I try not to over think things when critiquing others' work. I just glance at them and pick the ones that immediately catch my eye as "pleasing". :D

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
#4 and #12 are the ones that immediately caught my eye. Being a graphic artist myself, I try not to over think things when critiquing others' work. I just glance at them and pick the ones that immediately catch my eye as "pleasing". :D

Thanks for the feedback, that's a good way of looking at it! :cool:

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
I like the ones like this: RaxusChemicals better, as Raxuschemicals could be read internationally as Raxu schemicals. Just a thought, carry on :)

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
Honestly, I think #5. It's the most straightforward and visually appealing concept for me. It will also work out best in black and white and can be easily adapted to work with different colours and platforms. I like it better than #6 because of the integration with the whole name (RaxusChemicals), but #6 gives you the advantage of making the Rc in a box a standalone logo without having to use the whole name. Also, in the case of making iPhone/Android apps or favicons, the square works well and is easy to adapt.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Thanks a lot everyone for all the feedback and comments, some very good points were made and I am going to work on doing some refinements et.

Thanks again!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Thanks for the update. Great fun watching it come to fruition.

Nice work, BTW: Looks really solid. I hope they paid you a boatload of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.