Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
The invitation-only Apple Media Event is now over.

I haven't seen such a massive step forward since Windows '98 transitioned to Windows 2000.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I don't understand why so many people are upset over the new iPad's name. I guess this just goes to show that some people buy Apple products based on its name.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
so when the next ipad comes out after "The New iPad" i'm still going to be calling mine "The New iPad" even though it's not! ???:eek:

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
The naming strategy seems like a mistake to me. I understand just simplifying the products to "iPad" and "iPhone" except they're keeping the old iPad 2 around. Isn't that going to be confusing if you don't have an easy name to qualify the "new iPad" with?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Higher clocks can be nice for single threaded apps. frankly though I've seen nothing yet that indicates higher clocks.

You are however wrong about threading many apps can leverage additional cores fairly easily. Apple specifically designed GCD to allow developers to write software without having to track the number of cores in a specific piece of hardware.

iOS for the most part doesn't run multiple apps so your argument has no place here. On top of that multiple cores very much benefit single apps as long as there is any amount of threading going on be it GCD based or something else.

128 GB is a big deal if you need it. Frankly with everything else that was in this update I didn't expect it at all, but for people that needed it i can understand the disappointment.

did we have some sour grapes today?

Nope...I'm waiting to buy it. Others on here complaining have sour grapes up a certain place in their anatomy.

It's a great release and update. Too many on here expect rumors that never were promised.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
"New iPad", huh? Steve Jobs is rising from the dead to strangle Tim Cook for this amazing, mindblowing product name.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I don’t know if all the rumors and leaks are actually a good thing. They take most of the surprises out of these events. We pretty much got what we expected. Of course, if I didn’t want spoilers, I shouldn’t visit a “rumors” site.

I’m more excited about the “more good things to come in 2012” that was mentioned at the end. I’m itching for exciting desktop updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.