Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
So can we upgrade the older iTV version 2 system to run this new interface? Is the only difference the 1080P?

It may be too much to ask for, but I'm still hopeful...

ETA: Thanks to Jony Mac, six posts above me:

Apple - Press Info - Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

Pricing & Availability
Apple TV will be available on Friday, March 16 for a suggested retail price of $99 (US) through the Apple online store, Apple’s retail stores and Apple Authorized Resellers. Apple TV requires iTunes 10.5 or later. Apple TV requires an 802.11g/n Wi-Fi network or Ethernet network, a broadband Internet connection and a HD TV capable of 1080p or 720p and an HDMI cable that is sold separately. iTunes movie and TV show availability varies by country. Second generation Apple TV users can install the new Apple TV user interface via a free software update, available today. Third generation Apple TV hardware is required to play 1080p video.

Last edited:

J@ffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2002
Behind you!
People claiming that the Apple TV this replaces is capable of 1080p are flat out wrong. I've tried it myself, every way possible (jailbreaking, setting false tags, etc). It stutters and/or crashes the device.

Looking forward to this! Any word on whether this interface will come to the 720p version? Mothballing it update-wise would seem a bit premature…

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
This is a complete carbon copy of Roku and Netflix on Roku.

IMG_0214_540x315.JPG

roku_netflix2.jpeg

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I want to know if Hulu Plus and HBO GO will finally come to ATV. If not, I will just continue using my Roku 2 XD

MacCraig Pro

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
Manchester, UK
This is right from Apple's press release.

Second generation Apple TV users can install the new Apple TV user interface via a free software update, available today......

Guess I'll just update mine for now to get the new UI.

Apple Brings 1080p High Definition to New Apple TV

Great so even the new UI isn't a reason to upgrade seeing as my ATV2 can get it too. I suppose thats a good thing though, not being left in the cold like the original ATV when it went to iOS.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
1080p movies and TV shows available in the iTunes store?

I just read this straight from the Apple TV page:

With Apple TV, you get instant access to buy or rent the hottest HD movies — many in 1080p and often available the same day they come out on DVD
http://www.apple.com/appletv/whats-on/#itunes

I checked the page for Hugo and it reads 720p" (HD). I don't remember seeing them actually specifying resolution? Is this a new change in the iTunes store? I'm trying to scour the Movies section to see if any movie lists for 1080p.

Can anyone else confirm this?

DaveGee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2001
PS3 + 1TB internal stacked with video + PMS software + Mac > ATV... still.

Unless Apple has something in that thing which they didn't reveal, it's still not besting the PS3. Pity, but then the PS3 with Playstation Media Server is superb.

Really??

Hmmm

250ish for PS3
100ish for 1TB HD ... Unless the prices have dropped back to the proper levels.
300 or more for a used Mac capable of running windows virtually

SO!

A $650 investment outdoes a $99 box.. Shocking! :eek:

mrjosh

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
No Hulu, no upgrade ... That's my most missed feature on ATV

This. It's the only thing keeping me away from the ATV. I have a roku which is ok; it hurts a little when I have to purchase things on Amazon. Nope - I don't want (or need) 2 little boxes.

zephyr67

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2012
Boring!!!

Okay, I like the Icons if they are on my ATV2 but really, I am still waiting for the point of this thing. Just give me Hulu for God's sake!

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
People claiming that the Apple TV this replaces is capable of 1080p are flat out wrong. I've tried it myself, every way possible (jailbreaking, setting false tags, etc). It stutters and/or crashes the device.

Looking forward to this! Any word on whether this interface will come to the 720p version? Mothballing it update-wise would seem a bit premature…

It plays 1080p video recorded with the iPhone 4s perfectly.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
slooowww

Does anyone have the same problem with the AppleTV2: I rented a movie and watch it a few days later. In the middle of it suddenly it stoops and the circle starts to rotate, than after a couple minutes it says "ready to watch in X time", where X is increasing from 50 minutes to 3 hours within a minute or so. At the same time streaming Netflix is no issue at all so its not the network... I am bringing this up here as I hoped for a storage capacity on the ATv as I never have that issue if I streamed an already downloaded movie from the iPad. It seems that the AppleTV is downloading the movie after renting but if e.g. Netflix is being streamed in the meantime it forgets the downloaded one and starts all over again...?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
But if I buy a 1080p movie, will the appletv 2 still play them in 720p?

I assume it would downres just fine, but if it's streaming, why wouldn't it just download the 720p version instead?

I actually might save some bandwidth, now that Cox instituted monthly downloads limits.

doyouloveit?

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
I have ATV2, with the new update will I be able to get icloud support? So in other words the ONLY new feature on the new Apple TV is 1080p? If I can get the icloud feature through the update then I will be fine with my ATV2.

alexandero

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
It feels like Apple is seeing the ATV as the replacement for the Airport Express, which was not updated since 2008.

Now I hope one can configure the new ATV without a TV screen, as the only thing I'd currently need it for is to AirPlay music to my speakers. Maybe I'll buy a beamer one day and then I'll be glad to have an ATV and not a Airport Express, but currently I'm without any TV in my apartment. I haven't missed it for quite a while, as I'm watching all content on computer screens anyway.

Or will I really need to borrow the TV screen from my neighbor just to setup that new ATV?

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
Accessibility ?

ATV2 with the current version of the OS supports VoiceOver (screen reader for blind folks.) I can't find anything about the new ATV or the new UI/OS that mentions if it also supports VO. Usually it's found on the tech specs page but as far as I can see (boom tish ! pun intended) it's not mentioned.

As I use it (VoiceOver) I'm not about to update my ATV2 to the new UI unless I can find that out.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
This is a complete carbon copy of Roku and Netflix on Roku.

Uh, no. The Roku uses a single string on rectangular icons that just loops infinitely. This is nothing like the grid that Apple just revealed.

And I sure hope the new Netflix app isn't the same as the one on the Roku. I hate it compared to the interface on my ATV2. Netflix on the ATV2 is by far the best implementation I have seen.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
But if I buy a 1080p movie, will the appletv 2 still play them in 720p?

Yes. It's hardware isn't capable of playing above 720P. The better question is, if you buy a 1080P movie, will iTunes automatically adjust it to play on the Apple TV, or will you have to have 2 versions of the movie? Renting or streaming, the server will just send you the correct feed. Owning I'm wondering... currently, not seeing anything in iTunes offered in 1080P.

Also, will they let you upgrade prior purchases in 720P to a 1080P copy?

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
It feels like Apple is seeing the ATV as the replacement for the Airport Express, which was not updated since 2008.

Now I hope one can configure the new ATV without a TV screen, as the only thing I'd currently need it for is to AirPlay music to my speakers. Maybe I'll buy a beamer one day and then I'll be glad to have an ATV and not a Airport Express, but currently I'm without any TV in my apartment. I haven't missed it for quite a while, as I'm watching all content on computer screens anyway.

Or will I really need to borrow the TV screen from my neighbor just to setup that new ATV?

I'm a bit lost with your post... The Airport express hasn't needed an update. It's their entry level router, and it already supports N Wifi. (It's not like Time Capsule where it's running a lot of software and sync services inside) It also supports audio cables, which the Apple tv does not. So why would you buy an Apple TV to stream music to speakers? That makes no sense. Do you have speakers with optical jacks or hdmi ports??? The Apple TV would not be a good device for streaming audio.

The Airport express also allows you to use iTunes to select which speakers to send the signal too. The Apple TV also doesn't do this. It's just not that kind of device. It's TV... not audio.

kwandrews

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Colorado, USA
All I want is NFL games.

I understand. However, this is not a unique problem to Apple. We have access to NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. but no NFL. The problem, for any services outside of broadcast TV and cable is this....and it's impacting everyone's ability to access the games via other methods. Even streaming radio broadcasts of games are restricted!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123786503490122053.html
"DirecTV pays the NFL about $700 million a year for the exclusive right to sell the Sunday Ticket package. That package allows fans to see every NFL game on Sundays, as opposed to simply the games shown on local broadcast channels.

Major cable operators have been trying to reach a deal with the NFL to sell the Sunday Ticket and share revenue with the league, but the NFL has preferred to take a lump-sum payment from DirecTV, which has used the product to lure viewers away from cable subscriptions to satellite."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.