Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Screw 1080p. ;)

I want my @2x 1536p or @3x 2304p or @4x 3072p Apple television. Can you imagine what native apps will look like at those resolutions?!!! :eek: :D

J/K. We won't have any GPU's powerful enough to drive those 2000+ resolutions within the next year I don't think.

I don't think a 40"+ Apple television will be considered a Retina display tv at "only" 1536p according to Apple's definition of Retina regarding the distance from which the human eye can distinguish the pixels.

However, since no one's gonna be sitting only a foot or so away from such a large display, it might.

Yeah, you know what? I think that at an average approximately 8'+ viewing distance, 1536p might pass for Retina. We'll have to wait until 2015 for the 3072p Apple TV to be announced with the new A24HolyCrapXXX 24 core processor of course - maybe alongside or within the timeframe of the opening of the new Apple Mothership Campus in Cupertino. ;)

With the release of the new iPad at that same resolution, and if the rumors are true that this Apple TV is due for release/announcement in 4Q of this year/1Q of next year, that will give willing developers around 9 months at least to make their apps 1536p native. Those that don't make them native will just be able to use @2x which most of them will have already done anyways in order to take advantage of the new iPad's Retina display.

Can you imagine an announcement later this year saying "Today we're introducing the new (Apple TV) with a Retina display, Siri/voice command control, PLUS access to your ENTIRE iTunes library including all of your APPS that you've been using on your iPhone/iPod/iPad for years."?!!!

Add to that a new optional physical Apple input/interface device(s) for everything (especially gaming) like controller/glove/motion sensor/etc. and IT'S OVER!

I've been telling people since 2002 that "Apple is looking to replace Sony in the home space with it's 'digital lifestyle' in the next decade".

Prove me right Apple! :cool:

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
East Lansing
I think it's true that Apple will be putting out a TV in Q4. I don't think it's going to be a plain black bezeled unit that looks like all the rest. I am expecting an imacculate design per usual. One that the industry tries to copy. Aluminum unibody enclosure? Apple TV innards? It'll be awe inspiring. As for content and experience, I'm sure it'll be equally amazing. Can't wait!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Same story, different day. Although I am in the camp of not believing that this will happen I am always curious what Apple could possible do with this.

indeed. If they were going to release a TV set in Q4/Q1 they wouldn't be prototyping it at this stage. They would be finalizing it.

And these parts sound like a prototype game. Frankly I'm thinking new Cinema Displays, next years Mac models or even the 2013 iPad and iPhone over a tv set.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What if Apple makes a Retina TV?!

Most all TVs larger than 55" are already 'retina' TVs. Since Apple is defining 'retina' as pixel density related to viewing distance, most TVs already meet this criteria because they are viewed from a greater distance.

The image on the new iPad will look/appear no sharper then the image on an iPad 2 side-by-side from a distance of 6 feet because your eye's retina can't resolve the difference in details at that distance. Your eye can't resolve pixel detail on a current 55" TV from 8 feet away now, so increasing the detail would not provide any improvement.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
1080p is probably "retina" for most sizes at the distances that most people watch from.

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (Android; Opera Mini/6.5.27452/27.1324; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 Version/11.10)

Evert tv made is already a retina tv. viewing distances of 10 feet and even a 480p is retina on a 42" screen lol.

Really?? So I have a 55" TV that I sit 15 feet away from and I can still see the pixels... Oh, you say I should sit further away... well then you're doing it wrong....

Sorry that's not a retina screen. Now if Apple released a 4K television, then I'm sure it would be claimed as a "retina" screen. I can see Apple, if they do release a full-blown TV set, releasing it with 4k resolution to command a higher price.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
Screw 1080p. ;)

I want my @2x 1536p or @3x 2304p or @4x 3072p Apple television! :D

Can you imagine what native apps will look like at those resolutions?!!! :eek:

I don't think a 40"+ Apple television will be considered a Retina display tv at "only" 1536p according to Apple's definition of Retina regarding the distance.

However, since no one's gonna be sitting only a foot or so away from such a large display, it might.

Yeah, you know what? I think that at an average approximately 8'+ viewing distance, 1536p might pass for Retina.

With the release of the new iPad at that same resolution, and if the rumors are true that this Apple TV is due for release/announcement in 4Q of this year
/1Q of next year, that will give willing developers around 9 months at least to make their apps 1536p native!
Retina is just a marketing term. People always for get that and try and link it in to be a specific ppi figure. What it relates to is having the size of the pixel being less than the size resolveable by the naked eye at the typical use distance. By that definition, a typical 40" TV is "retina" at normal use conditions.

And what of actual content? The current standard is 1080 lines for high def. No-one's making actual TV content in this mythical 1536 lines that you've conjured up.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I think it's true that Apple will be putting out a TV in Q4. I don't think it's going to be a plain black bezeled unit that looks like all the rest. I am expecting an imacculate design per usual. One that the industry tries to copy. Aluminum unibody enclosure? Apple TV innards? It'll be awe inspiring. As for content and experience, I'm sure it'll be equally amazing. Can't wait!

Apple will have to go something to beat designs like this. I hope they can!

LG-2012SmartTV_1.jpg

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I personally find it doubtful. Apple just released a new Apple TV. Why would they would launch a product that would compete with it so soon...

Plus an actual TV is not a very lucrative market as people tend to have their TV for quite a few years before upgrading.

adunni66

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Work the bugs out first

The latest version of Apple TV has some significant usability issues. Because of the way Apple TV interacts with iTunes TV shows are listed in an almost random order when sorted by name. Seasons aren't grouped together but arranged by date of import into iTunes. This single bug can add a few minutes to an interaction that used to take seconds. This is especially true because the lists seems to speed up as you scroll through it. This is a great feature when the list is alphabetized but an awful feature in a random (or apparently random) list.

Other minor issues include highlight effect that are hard to see new interface elements that don't match the old ones that are still present.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
I wonder what they are going to call it. Unless Apple reaches an agreement with the UK company holding the name (unlikely) or buys them up, iTV is not going to happen. Apple TV would be a good name but they already have a different product with that name. Apple Television is too big. Apple HDTV? Maybe iMedia?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And I wonder if Apple will allow any connections to the tv. Or will it ship without HDMI ports, etc because the sole purpose would be to use their services/icloud/itunes...

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
IGZO seems an odd choice. As a new player in the market, I thought they would go with an emerging technology such as OLED or Crystal LED that will be at the top end of the market, rather than a bit better version of the current norm.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
indeed. If they were going to release a TV set in Q4/Q1 they wouldn't be prototyping it at this stage. They would be finalizing it.

And these parts sound like a prototype game. Frankly I'm thinking new Cinema Displays, next years Mac models or even the 2013 iPad and iPhone over a tv set.

Unless it's already been prototyped and they are testing manufacturing. However it could be a dock station for the new iPhone for all we know....

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Really?? So I have a 55" TV that I sit 15 feet away from and I can still see the pixels....

A 55" projection TV from 1989 doesn't count. And if you're referring to a 55" 1080p tv, then no, you cannot see pixels from 15 feet...Unless of course you have super hero vision.

----------

I wonder what they are going to call it. Unless Apple reaches an agreement with the UK company holding the name (unlikely) or buys them up, iTV is not going to happen. Apple TV would be a good name but they already have a different product with that name. Apple Television is too big. Apple HDTV? Maybe iMedia?

iDefinition

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
I wonder what part of "apple won't use the name iTV as the channel itv holds it's copyright" the informant for this story doesn't understand?

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
A 55" projection TV from 1989 doesn't count. And if you're referring to a 55" 1080p tv, then no, you cannot see pixels from 15 feet...Unless of course you have super hero vision.

----------

iDefinition

Wow, really??? No it's actually a Samsung UN55D8000Y and yes I can see the pixels from 15' away...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.