Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrysos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
While I'm sitting here waiting for Fedex I am cleaning up Itunes and I was wondering if it is better to restore from a backup of my ipad 1 or set it up as a new ipad. My gut tells me its better to set up as new.

Any experiences with the restore from backup out there?

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Ive never heard of it making any difference, this isn't windows ME or anything.

I restored rather than check through which apps I want and set up folders and settings all over again. No problem here.

iMaven

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
I don't want to restore from my old iPad. I want to set it up as a new iPad then configure it and add a lot of the Retina Apps.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I restored two new iPads from backup and it went perfectly.

Much easier than organising everything again.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Restore of course. I restored for all my subsequent ios devices and it always worked great. You can restore directly from icloud...

larmonkm

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2010
well, my plan was to do a backup install. i did it, and it didn't go as quickly or as smoothly as i'd hoped. the big issue is that i have to redownload all my music from the cloud. i had hoped to avoid this, because i DON'T have unlimited internet (no choice where i live in alaska) and didn't want to use all my data on stupid music that i'd already put on an ipad once before. i tried to add music back via itunes, however it would not let me...telling me i had to use the cloud. so, i am now in the process of just starting over and hoping it works out. :rolleyes:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
at first i was gonna set up as new but just now decided on restore from back up

this thing is sick right away i noticed how incredibly sharp my background was

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
After much self debate, I setup as new. I'm going to have to use the hell out of file explorer to get the data I want in my apps though. :(

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
While I'm sitting here waiting for Fedex I am cleaning up Itunes and I was wondering if it is better to restore from a backup of my ipad 1 or set it up as a new ipad. My gut tells me its better to set up as new.

Any experiences with the restore from backup out there?

Setting up as new is way too much work. Restore from backup works great. Suggestion: remove all the big videos before you backup, otherwise iTunes will put them all on the new iPad (making you wait to play).

MaxxTraxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
well, my plan was to do a backup install. i did it, and it didn't go as quickly or as smoothly as i'd hoped. the big issue is that i have to redownload all my music from the cloud. i had hoped to avoid this, because i DON'T have unlimited internet (no choice where i live in alaska) and didn't want to use all my data on stupid music that i'd already put on an ipad once before. i tried to add music back via itunes, however it would not let me...telling me i had to use the cloud. so, i am now in the process of just starting over and hoping it works out. :rolleyes:

Just uncheck the box to sync with your computer

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
I have 21GB of apps and there is no way I am recreating all those folders. Restore for me. Going on 5 hours now....

I have over 30GB of apps, and it only took about 1 hour by doing a Restore from iTunes. Learned my lesson before with iPhone, it is much faster than restoring from the iCloud.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I have over 30GB of apps, and it only took about 1 hour by doing a Restore from iTunes. Learned my lesson before with iPhone, it is much faster than restoring from the iCloud.

Argghhh, and NOW you tell me! :eek:

I'm down to my last couple of apps, 5 1/2 hours in. Sheesh...

scriptlol

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
The thought of doing a 'fresh install' of an ipad never even crossed my mind. We aren't in the windows world.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Forced simplicity. Doing a fresh install for me was a way to really think about the apps I use and whether to bring them to the new iPad.

Like a lot of things in life, the 80/20 rule rules!

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Forced simplicity. Doing a fresh install for me was a way to really think about the apps I use and whether to bring them to the new iPad.

This is a good point. I have sooooooo much crap on my iPad I could have used a fresh install.

Oh well, it's almost done now. Maybe for the new New iPad.

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010

Well, you lose setup and data for apps you use... I am just ruthlessly deleting crap i dont use.

Colgin

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2010
OK, so if I restore from backup will I be able to then rename the new Ipad to keep it distinct from the old one. We are keeping our Ipad 1, which will go to my wife. For initial setup of the Ipad 3 I like the simplicity of just doing from a backup. But going forward the contents of the two will be different and I don't want them to sync identically re apps, etc.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
OK, so if I restore from backup will I be able to then rename the new Ipad to keep it distinct from the old one. We are keeping our Ipad 1, which will go to my wife. For initial setup of the Ipad 3 I like the simplicity of just doing from a backup. But going forward the contents of the two will be different and I don't want them to sync identically re apps, etc.

How to rename your device(s)

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3965

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.