Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
This is quite amazing. I can now display my entire desktop and have it readable on my iPad from my 27" iMac. The quality on the screen is much better than the actual screenshot. No more zooming in and out all the time.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,173

icydog

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2008
NJ
This is quite amazing. I can now display my entire desktop and have it readable on my iPad from my 27" iMac. The quality on the screen is much better than the actual screenshot. No more zooming in and out all the time.
Wow. That's really cool!

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008

Oh man that looks good. I'm considering getting the app

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Oh man that looks good. I'm considering getting the app

It's very useful. I've used LogMeIn for years and the Free version at that. Back before they supported all the extras for Mac. I paid $30 for the App back in the day when they first released it.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
It's very useful. I've used LogMeIn for years and the Free version at that. Back before they supported all the extras for Mac. I paid $30 for the App back in the day when they first released it.

Well I'm deploying to middle east in June. Will be a great way to control stuff on my Mac when I'm gone

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
So after using a Virtual Desktop app like LMI my PC desktop won't be squished to 1024x768 res when I use it standalone? That would be awesome. :cool:

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
This is what is looked like an my iPad 2. Ignore Facebook, the wife was on my computer at the time.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    450.9 KB · Views: 969

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
So after using a Virtual Desktop app like LMI my PC desktop won't be squished to 1024x768 res when I use it standalone? That would be awesome. :cool:

You don't have to match the screen resolution to the iPad. I always left it at the actual size when using and zoomed in. I hated it when it would resize all my windows to fit the small res.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
You don't have to match the screen resolution to the iPad. I always left it at the actual size when using and zoomed in. I hated it when it would resize all my windows to fit the small res.

Thanks! That was my biggest gripe.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Do yourself a favor and ditch norton... Worst av ever. If you want the best look to Eset NOD32. FYI my job is maintaining some 1000+ computers.

Sorry for the O/T - and yes, logmein is awesome :)

LOL ditch Windows and never worry about Anti-Virus. To each their own. On my work PC I use Avast. Norton is system resource hungry.

jeepik

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2009
WOW just tried it and its awesome for sure, 27 inch imac screen i can read everything thats open on a browser windows

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
When I check Log Me In on the app store I don't see anything about a retina update?

I might have to try it, I use Splashtop and I'm waiting on that to get retina support.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
While not Logmein, I tried this with Splashtop Remote -- my 24in iMac (1920x1200) had black borders all around the iPad screen when viewing in native res.... that's just absurd.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Have you tried playing video? Is it especially laggy because now it needs to transmit so many more pixels?

LMI s not made for video playback. That wild be dependent on your Internet connection anyway. There are Apps designed for that to your iPad that wild be better. AirVideo would be one.

----------

When I check Log Me In on the app store I don't see anything about a retina update?

I might have to try it, I use Splashtop and I'm waiting on that to get retina support.

There isn't yet. If you look at the buttons in my picture they are very pixelated. But the action res works.

----------

While not Logmein, I tried this with Splashtop Remote -- my 24in iMac (1920x1200) had black borders all around the iPad screen when viewing in native res.... that's just absurd.

I have Spalshtop as well and will give it a try and see what happens.

Yggbert

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
LOL ditch Windows and never worry about Anti-Virus. To each their own. On my work PC I use Avast. Norton is system resource hungry.

Not until OS X and/or Mac hardware become more gaming friendly. e.g. performance doesn't suck compared to Windows, and hardware can be upgraded manually. (so never)

Haven't had a virus on Windows since like 2003 anyway.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

You forgot one little thing - iPad's screen is little. Nothing prevents even 1" screen to have such high resolution but it does not mean that you'll be able to see anything on such screen without a magnifying glass.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
You forgot one little thing - iPad's screen is little. Nothing prevents even 1" screen to have such high resolution but it does not mean that you'll be able to see anything on such screen without a magnifying glass.

It's still much better than previous iPads is the point. For working on a small screen it works very well.

----------

Not until OS X and/or Mac hardware become more gaming friendly. e.g. performance doesn't suck compared to Windows, and hardware can be upgraded manually. (so never)

Haven't had a virus on Windows since like 2003 anyway.

The performance in the hardware is there. It comes down to development in Software. Valve has taken a step there but still has a long ways to go. It's a shame too.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
Did you even read my post? I'll clue you in on something, most of the corporate world uses windows. But yes, all home users should use OS X. I use Eset for my macs as well :)

ugp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Did you even read my post? I'll clue you in on something, most of the corporate world uses windows. But yes, all home users should use OS X. I use Eset for my macs as well :)

I know. I got that. I was poking fun. At work I'm on a Windows machine as well. They are cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.