Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoothisfast

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Just got my AT&T iPad. Is there a visual indication when I'm connected to LTE? It says 4G but that could mean HSPA+

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Will it only say this if you have bought a plan? Out of the box, mine shows 3 bars, the word Verizon and the wi-fi symbol.

Yes, you have to buy a plan. Plus, if you are on Wi-Fi, it will show the wi-fi symbol / signal whether or not you have a cell plan. I assume this is your first iOS device. :)

Tony

MacLifer

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2011
Yes, you have to buy a plan. Plus, if you are on Wi-Fi, it will show the wi-fi symbol / signal whether or not you have a cell plan. I assume this is your first iOS device. :)

Tony

Darn. It is my first xG iPad device, but it's early and my brain didn't put 2+2 together that it would act like my iPhone. :eek:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Pardon a stupid question. Can someone confirm whether an AT&T iPad will say LTE if no data plan is active, or if it just says 4G?

I don't really need a data plan today so would rather not buy one to find out. Coverage maps says I should be in solid LTE yet am just seeing 4G indicator.

Thanks.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Pardon a stupid question. Can someone confirm whether an AT&T iPad will say LTE if no data plan is active, or if it just says 4G?

I don't really need a data plan today so would rather not buy one to find out. Coverage maps says I should be in solid LTE yet am just seeing 4G indicator.

Thanks.

Yes, it will say LTE, and it is AWESOME!!!!

(sorry, I don't know whether it will say LTE if no data plan is active. I activated both my iPads so I can't say. But when active, it will say LTE if you are in an LTE area).

JimAtLaw

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2006
Bay Area, CA

Thanks.

I am also in an area labeled LTE but only getting 4G.

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011

Thanks.

Before I transferred my data plan to my new iPad, it just said 'searching' in the upper left corner. It only showed AT&T 4g after I activated the plan (no lte in my area). In the settings menu it will indicate its an AT&T device though with or wo a plan.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Before I transferred my data plan to my new iPad, it just said 'searching' in the upper left corner. It only showed AT&T 4g after I activated the plan (no lte in my area). In the settings menu it will indicate its an AT&T device though with or wo a plan.

Thanks, without activating a dataplan, mine shows AT&T 4G with no delay or issues. I'm puzzled in that the coverage maps suggest I should be in a solid LTE area, and I am definitely in solid AT&T coverage usually with 4 or five bars. With the comments about needing to be provisioned for LTE, I was wondering if maybe it didn't show LTE until there was a dataplan.

Since mine didn't arrive until dinnertime last night I've not been out to see if I get different results elsewhere.

Yes it'd be as easy as signing up for a plan, but I don't really need one this month so figured I'd ask. (and no, I don't particularly trust what AT&T reps would say else I'd have called them)

trek360

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks, without activating a dataplan, mine shows AT&T 4G with no delay or issues. I'm puzzled in that the coverage maps suggest I should be in a solid LTE area, and I am definitely in solid AT&T coverage usually with 4 or five bars. With the comments about needing to be provisioned for LTE, I was wondering if maybe it didn't show LTE until there was a dataplan.

Since mine didn't arrive until dinnertime last night I've not been out to see if I get different results elsewhere.

Yes it'd be as easy as signing up for a plan, but I don't really need one this month so figured I'd ask. (and no, I don't particularly trust what AT&T reps would say else I'd have called them)

Well I looked at my old iPad currently without a data plan and it says AT&T 4g. Mine may have initially said searching because it wasn't configured or something.

It's a good question. Let me know if you find out. Maybe some friends in your area or another known lte area can help out. Either way I think it's safe to say that AT&T lte is still in its early stages.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I am on Verizon, I just turned off my Wifi and it says "3G", does that mean... LTE is not in my area? O_O?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
This happened to me and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.
I got the AT&T one and it never showed LTE even thought it is supported in my areas.

As soon as I bought the data plan, the LTE lit up and I get full speeds.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
This happened to me and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it.
I got the AT&T one and it never showed LTE even thought it is supported in my areas.

As soon as I bought the data plan, the LTE lit up and I get full speeds.

Did it say 3G or something else before you bought data plan?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
That means you are not getting an LTE signal, or could men you are not signed up for a LTE data plan.

I am not signed up for an LTE data plan, or any data plan at all. I want to know if there is some way to know for certain without looking at a picture of a map that i have LTE available before plunging the money for a data plan. I do not want to buy a data plan without knowing for certain and get 3G speeds. I will have to switch ATT if this is the case. Seeing 3G next to the Verizon text on the indicator concerns me a bit.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I am not signed up for an LTE data plan, or any data plan at all. I want to know if there is some way to know for certain without looking at a picture of a map that i have LTE available before plunging the money for a data plan. I do not want to buy a data plan without knowing for certain and get 3G speeds. I will have to switch ATT if this is the case. Seeing 3G next to the Verizon text on the indicator concerns me a bit.

If you are not signed up (AT&T or Verizon), you will not see the LTE network, and your iPad will not say LTE.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm confused about this, too. I haven't started my cellular account yet and only get a 3G indicator on my iPad 3. This, even though I'm in a 4G LTE area.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I am on Verizon, I just turned off my Wifi and it says "3G", does that mean... LTE is not in my area? O_O?

My Verizon iPad said "3G" until I purchased the data plan, at which point the LTE indicator turned on.

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn

Why don't you want to look at a map?

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
You'll know you're on LTE when the network is twice as fast as the usual wifi.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.