Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MommyMagid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I bought a used iPod Touch 4.2.1 for my daughter months ago and has been working fine until today. When I plug it in to sync, it won't allow me to access the apps section of the device. I can add or remove all other media (music, videos, books, etc.) but not apps. I see the screen but it is kind of gray, and my mouse can't click on anything. I can't upload version 5 software so obviously it is not the most recent generation. When I plugged in my iPhone, the apps section worked fine. Also, I still have over 2 GBs of space on the iPod Touch so I don't think it could be a space issue.

Can anyone recommend a fix without having to restore? Also, I am a lay user so if you have information, please keep that in mind. (And I turned it off as well as restarted my computer to no avail.)

Thanks!

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I bought a used iPod Touch 4.2.1 for my daughter months ago and has been working fine until today. When I plug it in to sync, it won't allow me to access the apps section of the device. I can add or remove all other media (music, videos, books, etc.) but not apps. I see the screen but it is kind of gray, and my mouse can't click on anything. I can't upload version 5 software so obviously it is not the most recent generation. When I plugged in my iPhone, the apps section worked fine. Also, I still have over 2 GBs of space on the iPod Touch so I don't think it could be a space issue.

Can anyone recommend a fix without having to restore? Also, I am a lay user so if you have information, please keep that in mind. (And I turned it off as well as restarted my computer to no avail.)

Thanks!

Try restarting the iPod. If that doesn't work, make sure Restrictions are disabled in Settings > General > Restrictions. The "Installing Apps" may be off in there, preventing you from installing applications.

MommyMagid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Exactly

My daughter turned Restrictions on and doesn't know the passcode for it. I hope that reinstalling the iPod will turn Restrictions off. I assume it will.

Lesson learned.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.