Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I don't really consider myself stupid, but when I picked my iPad up last week from Best Buy I really wasn't given an opt out. I argued that there was no need to do the "activation" or run my credit, and I even had to talk to a manager, but was told it was new policy and my only other option was to purchase a WiFi only model if there were any left. Personally, I didn't really care about the credit check, I was told it was needed to make sure people with balances owed to AT&T or Verizon weren't allowed to buy/active an iPad (BS I'm sure). The part that bugged me was the posibility of being put on a post paid account (something I knew could be fixed but didn't want to hassle with). That's why I kept telling them I didn't want to activate the 4G and wouldn't give them a date of when I wanted it activated. Just kept telling them the dates would vary so don't activate it.

So Best Buy basically lied to you. I would look for another iPad, buy it, and return the Best Buy version

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Verizon was doing this in stores, too, right?

I think Verizon is part to blame that they even allow this, but, shame on Best Buy for misleading consumers like this.

larock

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
First let me say that i don't agree with the "tactics" here. That being said, there is blame in both sides. I agree you aren't stupid, surely. The problem i have is yes they push activations for obvious reasons, they're going to sell the devices regardless they'd rather sell it to someone who will get their numbers up. You simply gave in and agreed that you would take the post-paid plan in order to secure your LTE iPad, if you want to stop the behavior, don't cave like that. Im not saying i agree with the motives but its reality nonetheless. that being said, you do have an option, you simply say no. When they say you have to get a plan or get a wi-fi version, either take the wi-fi version or decide its worth it to argue and tell them they have no right to demand you activate a plan at which point they WILL cave and give you the device only. As far as the credit check, yes they are in fact making sure that there are no balances owed, but this is only for POST PAID accounts. No credit check takes place for prepaid accounts. Everyone should make a mental note if you are expecting a pre-paid account then don't give your SSN, there is no need for it. My main point is just stick up for yourself and your rights as a consumer depending on your situation, and most importantly know every detail of a situation before you go into it.

Oh I asure you I didn't cave on the post paid account issue (I have an ipad1 so know how it should work). I watched them like a hawk as they entered my preffered data plan (no data plan) and would have laughed at an activation fee. It was just the credit check portion I didn't fight.

As I've posted else where, while waiting in line I heard several lies which I called them on (it was stated the 4G model cost $230 more than the WiFi model and it better to buy a hotspot, and the only data planned offered for the 4G was $50). I had others in line laughing because I kept telling the guys to go back in and check their facts and math. Maybe the whole "activation" was my punishment, don't know or care. I also watched several people walk out the door with their 4G models without having to put up with the BS I did. Credit check and an hour wasted was really all they got on me.

I do like Best Buy, and will continue to shop there. Like most on this site, I'm informed enough to not be taken, my concern is for those who are not.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
Verizon was doing this in stores, too, right?

I think Verizon is part to blame that they even allow this, but, shame on Best Buy for misleading consumers like this.

Verizon did this to me. They didn't even tell me what plan they were putting me on. I was specific about wanting the prepaid as well, andmthey gave me the same treatment that a lot of others experienced. It took forever and a new sim card to get it all sorted out.

ckiggins

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The guy at the Verizon store tried the same thing on me and I was having none of it. He seemed annoyed that I said I was going to activate later. TOUGH!

I was the first one in the door at 8 last Friday and my receipt says 8:03, so I was in & out.

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
My mom bought an iPad from Best Buy on Friday 16th. They upsold her on a Sprint 4G card. I went back with her the very next day and returned the card. They were total jerks, making it extremely difficult, like we were inconveniencing them. I was really upset they would stoop to this level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.