Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One week after the public beta launch of Photoshop CS6, Adobe today announced that the software has already hit 500,000 downloads.
We've been blown away by the response to the Photoshop CS6 beta. In less than one week of its release, we've seen over half a million downloads and counting!! Download it for free today!

It's not often that we provide an advance preview of the next release of Photoshop and we're grateful for all the support and buzz the beta has received. We're glad you're as excited as we are to see all of YOUR requests come to life.
Adobe has yet to announce final pricing for Photoshop CS6, but has indicated that it will launch sometime in the first half of this year.

photoshop_cs6_beta_banner.jpg

Users of older Macs should note that Photoshop CS6 drops support for 32-bit Macs, leaving out systems utilizing Intel Core Solo or Core Duo processors. Intel Core 2 Duo processors and later offer 64-bit support required for Photoshop CS6.

Article Link: Adobe Photoshop CS6 Beta Hits 500,000 Downloads

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
So far it's running very well on my 2009 Mac Pro. It seems better optimized especially using my GTX285 for gpu acceleration. The Lightroom crop module is taking some getting used to but I like that I can finally change the UI color.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
can't believe it's CS6 already! seems so fast!

does anybody know anything about its anti-piracy measures, any news on that yet? I heard it was a new take on DRM.

----------

So far it's running very well on my 2009 Mac Pro. It seems better optimized especially using my GTX285 for gpu acceleration. The Lightroom crop module is taking some getting used to but I like that I can finally change the UI color.

the UI color is a big issue for you?

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Seems like it's going to be quite a big hit. I haven't tried it out yet.

Also it seems that they keep changing the Photoshop icon just for the sake of changing it. It's starting to get a bit annoying.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Have Adobe made any information about CS6 licencing available yet?
I'm interested to know if CS will start using a cross-platform licence like the Elements 10 apps

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
This is the first version of Photoshop that wowed me in a LOOONG time. I'll be buying it. I really like the 3D enhancements, VERY useful stuff (for me anyway).

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Got in on a deal last month for CS 5.5 MC for 180 bucks so I'll probably upgrade the full suite when 6 comes out. I really wish they would include LR.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
Is there anything really worthwhile upgrading for? I have the Prod Suite, and only use After Effects and Photoshop. Haven't seen any reason to move past CS5 so far. Please let us know what's new that you like for CS6. :)

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Both Mac and Windows versions are working well on my MBP and MP. So far I've mainly explored ACR and just a couple of PS features. All four installations were smooth, fast and uneventful. CS6 is definitely a worthy upgrade over CS5 and a must have upgrade over CS4.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
For people who don't make money from it I understand that. My software is paid off after my first month of work a year. Not a big deal.

Well, this is why I don't have a problem with people who DL this stuff off torrent sites. Adobe clearly makes plenty of $ off us Pro seats we buy to keep on keeping on. & if you're not using it professionally, then you weren't going to pay pro pricing for it anyway. People DLing a copy to play with & discover costs Adobe nothing, but ultimately this puts their product in the hands of hordes of new users, who hopefully use it, and by using it, learn it, adopt the workflow, and become a future paying customer. Many don't, but those don't cost Adobe anything.

Still, Autodesk and Adobe have to take the stance they do or no one would pay for it. ...so here we are. That's a big beta run. Half a million ticking time bombs. Adobe should allow people to make monthly payments (listed as $1 a day) to keep their installs after they expire. $$$$

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Well, this is why I don't have a problem with people who DL this stuff off torrent sites. Adobe clearly makes plenty of $ off us Pro seats we buy to keep on keeping on. & if you're not using it professionally, then you weren't going to pay pro pricing for it anyway. People DLing a copy to play with & discover costs Adobe nothing, but ultimately this puts their product in the hands of hordes of new users, who hopefully use it, and by using it, learn it, adopt the workflow, and become a future paying customer. Many don't, but those don't cost Adobe anything.

Still, Autodesk and Adobe have to take the stance they do or no one would pay for it. ...so here we are. That's a big beta run. Half a million ticking time bombs. Adobe should allow people to make monthly payments (listed as $1 a day) to keep their installs after they expire. $$$$

I understand where you are coming from but there are free 30 day trials and reduced "student" pricing available.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I did some comparisons between CS5 and CS6. From cold a cold boot and opening Photoshop with blank canvas, CS6 seemed to use about 10-20mb less of RAM compared to CS5.

What I really liked was that finally using the polygonal lasso tool didnt close the selection when youre zoomed in on the canvas and holding the spacebar to pan around to continue adding to the selection.

If this is the Beta, I'm looking forward to the final release.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's seriously the best release of Photoshop ever, it's absolutely amazing! They finally went back and made it more efficient, faster and less buggy. The interface is beautiful and the features are great. Also, everything can be changed by the user, which is awesome too.

PS: Does anyone know how long this beta trial stays functional? It doesn't make any mention of the time limit!

mkeeley

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
Nice speed improvements but was looking forward to playing with the content aware move feature. Tried it on a number of images and it did a really poor job.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I'm still using Photoshop CS5, but have tried CS6 and I love the new interface, It looks awesome =)..

JavaTheHut

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2010
Looks good - I just hope neglected Illustrator gets some love ie. 64bit for memory addressing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.