Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Okay my co worker let me borrow his 15" MBP software so I can update my Leopard one,but doesn't work says on the CD "For 15"MBP"

There's a way around it ?

Thanks

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay my co worker let me borrow his 15" MBP software so I can update my Leopard one,but doesn't work says on the CD "For 15"MBP"

There's a way around it ?
The grey install discs that come with Macs are model-specific and will not work on other models. You can either order replacement discs for your model by calling Apple, or you can buy a retail copy of Snow Leopard.

Webb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Can I update from Leopard to Mountain Lion ?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, you need to update to Snow Leopard first, so you can gain access to the Mac App Store, where you can download Lion or upgrade to ML. You can't do it for free, if that's what you're wondering.

Nov 28, 2010
located

No. You need Lion for that, as of now. Unless you do a clean install with the available OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion installer, which only developers officially have access to, and others via other means.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
No, you need to update to Snow Leopard first, so you can gain access to the Mac App Store, where you can download Lion or upgrade to ML. You can't do it for free, if that's what you're wondering.

Doesn't Apple sell Lion on a USB thumb drive?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Doesn't Apple sell Lion on a USB thumb drive?
Yes, and according to the SLA, you still need Snow Leopard. Whether it works on Leopard or not is another matter.
OS X Lion Software License Agreement
The OS X Lion Software License Agreement allows you to install and use the software for your personal, non-commercial use on all the Macs you own or control that are running Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Snow Leopard Server (a Mac Computer).
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD256Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA#overview
ScreenCap 9.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.