Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Nov 28, 2010
located
Because that is not a Hackintosh, it is just running one OS in another OS as virtual machine, which is also possible on Mac OS X, via running Windows or Linux or Mac OS X as a virtual machine.

A Hackintosh is running Mac OS X on hardware not made by Apple directly as main or alternative OS, but not as VM. At least, that is my understanding.

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Is there a reason to run Hackintosh instead of running Mac on VirtualBox?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
So is it almost impossible to run something heavy like FCP on VB?

Not impossible, I am sure it will run. But slowly. For practical results get a Mac or create a good hackintosh. For audio work, I'd recommend getting a proper Mac, using a hackintosh can generate driver problems which will result in audio latency and poor audio response.

Nov 28, 2010
located
So is it almost impossible to run something heavy like FCP on VB?

It is impractical, especially if the GPU is needed.
I once ran Avid Media Composer (some video editing application) inside a Windows VM on my Mac. While it opened and imported footage and such, no video was shown during playback.

And why not use your 2010 MBP for FCP and other Mac OS X needs?

piatti

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
USA
Not impossible, I am sure it will run. But slowly. For practical results get a Mac or create a good hackintosh. For audio work, I'd recommend getting a proper Mac, using a hackintosh can generate driver problems which will result in audio latency and poor audio response.

So if you want to try your hand at professional recording of music, Mac is the way to go?

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Pretty much.

While there are good audio solutions for Mac and PC, I think in the end you will have a better time with a Mac.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Ah, why is that?

Well, to simply put it, imagine youre on your newly bought/customized PC. Oh ****. You need to download audio drivers. Wait, its the wrong one. Then, ahh finally after a couple of days searching, you found the right one. Starts installing your audio program with success. Starts your first project! Congratulations! Then at that moment youre about to save your finished work that you forgot to save it earlier, this happens:

PIC2011342115288882.jpg

Uh oh...

Now, imagine youre on your mac. You bought a new mac! Congratulations to that part! If youre not too professional, you dont even have to install programs, GarageBand would do the job fine(if not, then profession programs is required). But then, theres no audio! Oh wait you forgot you connect your head phones, silly you. And then as you are about save your first finished project, a problem occurs! Oh wait, no youre on a mac, so no problems. You save your work, accomplish a new song. And then life goes on happily. Congrats.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
snippity snip snip to save space

More like you open up your application on your Mac and begin working. You're about to save your first finished project but the moment you click "save" this appears:
beachball.jpg
and doesn't go away until you're forced to force quit the application and lose your hard work. You try to figure out the problem but the obscure error code and "report to Apple" gets you nowhere and you just have to hope it doesn't happen again.

Bad stuff happens no matter what you're using :p

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
Ah, why is that?

I dunno really, but I'll say this: I've never done professional audio mixing, but I've used photoshop on both PC and Mac, and while they should be identical experiences, the placement of Apples UI, and other things make it easier.

Now, I can only vaguely know a couple good audio programs for PC, but I have heard good things of Logic Pro... Which is prolly where'd I'd start.

Oddly enough though, I remember reading in Mac*Life a few years back about a popularish band that was making/mocking up all their music in GarageBand, so if you can make it do what you want, then all the better!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.