Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
I just received my Berry case but decided to keep my MoKo.

Selling mines for $35 shipped, it's brand new and perfect. Save $10 and PM me if you want it. I can ship it out on Monday using USPS Priority from NYC.

Thanks

Last edited:

psychonaut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Man, still no pictures of the blue case? Help me out here people. Someone must have this thing in blue. :D

I finally got my blue today. I'll take some pics and do a color video tomorrow but it's definitely a brighter blue almost like an electric blue. I like it but don't expect it to be a dark blue color. I think my favorite color in this case is the berry so far, I don't have the tangerine color but I'm tempted. :p

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I finally got my blue today. I'll take some pics and do a color video tomorrow but it's definitely a brighter blue almost like an electric blue. I like it but don't expect it to be a dark blue color. I think my favorite color in this case is the berry so far, I don't have the tangerine color but I'm tempted. :p

Awesome man. Thanks for coming through.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
My international order from Radtech arrived today! Only 7 days from US to UK and I didn't get hit by customs!

Very pleased with the berry colour and love the feel of the case. The fit is very snug and understated.

I'm still awaiting another one from Amazon US which was sent within hours of this one so I didn't have time to cancel the order. I will probably pop it on eBay as soon as it arrives, no point having two of the same and I doubt I'll get the postage back if I return it.

Such a shame it's not going to be stocked anywhere in the UK, it's a gorgeous case and would sell well over here I'm sure.

Tissie

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2012
My international order from Radtech arrived today! Only 7 days from US to UK and I didn't get hit by customs!

Such a shame it's not going to be stocked anywhere in the UK, it's a gorgeous case and would sell well over here I'm sure.

I wrote STM about availability in Europe, here is the reply:
We are working with our distributor in the UK/EU to make this happen right now!
We are looking at an ETA of May for it to be available.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Received the Grip today, noticed that the stand was very hard to pull out.

Turns out behind the stand there is this styrofoam material layered with strong adhesive, the back of the stands have adhesives on there as well.

According to the pictures on their website and user photo&videos, behind the stands should be the same finish as the rest of the case.

Going to send STM an email about this tomorrow.

That definitely doesn't look right. It looks like the whole kickstand unit has detached from the case. If you got it from Radtech, just email them a pic and they'll send you a new one. They have excellent customer service.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
I wrote STM about availability in Europe, here is the reply:

That's very good news, presumably it will be available through the same stockist who sells the Skinny.

Amazon availability would be even better and as the .com store sells it I don't see why co.uk shouldn't be able to as well.

oli356

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2010
That's very good news, presumably it will be available through the same stockist who sells the Skinny.

Amazon availability would be even better and as the .com store sells it I don't see why co.uk shouldn't be able to as well.
At first it was a simple "no" for the Grid being sold in the UK so, this is a improvement.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
Received the Grip today, noticed that the stand was very hard to pull out.

Turns out behind the stand there is this styrofoam material layered with strong adhesive, the back of the stands have adhesives on there as well.

According to the pictures on their website and user photo&videos, behind the stands should be the same finish as the rest of the case.

Going to send STM an email about this tomorrow.

I ordered a blue one from RadTech for my husband and it doesn't have the styrofoam under the stand. It has some sort of softish plastic that is the same color as the case. Nor is the stand hard to pull out.

uscmba02

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
I just got one of these in today. The review above is spot on, and this is my favorite case so far. Was using a smart feather and smart cover plus a sleeve before this.

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Mine came in today too (it's a party, woo!)

I'm...kinda meh, to be really honest, though admittedly it's in comparison to a much more expensive option, a leather Smart Cover + Tucano Vedo TPU back.

Quick rundown:

It's very nice plastic, and the grip ridges are pretty sweet for providing a handhold.

Coverage is great. Only a small sliver of the iPad is exposed when it's closed. All ports are accessible. There's only the smallest amount of clip over the bezel, so the iPad is near-naked with the cover folded back. On/off worked wonderfully.

The microfiber inside the case is nice, even if it does sit on the table when folded back. It'll leave your display much more evenly clean (or oiled) than the Smart Cover, so no lines.

It's an attractive case, overall. Berry is essentially a wine color, and I like it quite a bit. Wish I had a leather Smart Cover this color instead of Apple's red.

Now...the not so good.

It kind of reeks. The outside's fine. The inside fiber smells chemicalish. Think mothballs is what's registering in my head.

I weighed them both, and the weight difference between what I already had and this turns out to be pretty minor. The Smart Cover + Vedo is 251g (8.8 oz). The STM Grip is 235g (8.3 oz).

To my surprise, the STM Grip is -thicker- than the Smart Cover + Vedo, by maybe half a mm or so.

Then there are the various cons already mentioned above, mostly due to the rubbery hinge.

It is very bouncy in typing mode. It's perfectly stable, and reviews that claim widening the kickstand would help are incorrect, as it doesn't move side to side (for me). It's plainly bouncing up and down on the rubber hinge.

The same rubber hinge is what causes the back cover to misalign from the front if not supported in book mode.

The fix here would be a rigid plastic hinge. Of course, that may cause its own issues.

The plastic does show fingerprints rather obviously, which is exacerbated by the fact that they're in the ridges and therefore a little harder to wipe out.

The clip is noticeable in my right hand, though it turns out to also be rubbery and therefore not too uncomfortable. I do miss having a magnet on the back to hold the cover aligned. Luckily, it doesn't slip around all that much, and the misalignment doesn't fire off the Smart Cover magnets spuriously like it does on some other cases.

I have mixed feelings on the stand positions.

The typing mode is higher than the default Apple typing mode, but not higher than the unofficial "alternate typing position" where you fold the last panel back under the iPad again. Plus Apple is rock-solid stable in typing position, vs. the bouncy STM.

The upright mode is significantly less upright than Apple's--good if you're sitting in front of it, not good if you're trying to watch like a TV in your hotel room. And similarly to typing, I can find an "unofficial" position with the Smart Cover that supports the iPad stably in a slightly reclined position.

Conclusion:

I'm going to try this case for a couple of days. Seems only fair to give it a shot. But I suspect I might go back to what I had. The leather looks nicer than the plastic (and will especially as they both age), and there doesn't seem to be a functional advantage to the STM case aside from not leaving lines on the screen.

That said, keep in mind I'm comparing $105 worth of Apple leather + Italian back case to a case that cost $30 from RadTech after a coupon code. If the former wasn't somewhat nicer in some respects, then I'd be even more of a sucker than I already am for paying that.

So for $30, this is a pretty awesome case. For $45, though, I'd say it's just good. The fact that it's one of the best on the market probably says as much about the market as it does this case.

Last edited:

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Final verdict: no-go for me.

The killer is the right-side lip. It's not very uncomfortable, but it does act like a standoff that requires me to hold the iPad from the right with my palm away from the side a little.

Without being able to brace the heel of my palm against the right side of the iPad, I can't hold it in just my right hand comfortably--my fingers slip on the glass too much to grip it. It's a minor compromise, but enough of one that I keep going straight back to Smart Cover + back cover, which is comfortable in any position.

Bummer, really, because the rest is pretty well-executed. If they made that clasp so it folded out of the way, stiffened the hinge a bit, and figured out a finish on the plastic that wasn't so fingerprinteriffic, it'd be nearly perfect.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
Final verdict: no-go for me.

The killer is the right-side lip. It's not very uncomfortable, but it does act like a standoff that requires me to hold the iPad from the right with my palm away from the side a little.

Without being able to brace the heel of my palm against the right side of the iPad, I can't hold it in just my right hand comfortably--my fingers slip on the glass too much to grip it. It's a minor compromise, but enough of one that I keep going straight back to Smart Cover + back cover, which is comfortable in any position.

Bummer, really, because the rest is pretty well-executed. If they made that clasp so it folded out of the way, stiffened the hinge a bit, and figured out a finish on the plastic that wasn't so fingerprinteriffic, it'd be nearly perfect.

I'd have to agree 100% with your observations. Mine is going back today. The only other thing I might add is that it's quite cumbersome to move the case around when it's on your lap, since the large footprint of microfiber grips the surface.

04mach1

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
FL
Does anyone have the tangerine color? Would like to see a real world picture of the color. Also does anyone have a coupon code? Thanks....

rickyislazy

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I have 2 black grips for sale

1- brand new black STM Grip for $37 shipped (

2 - slightly used black STM Grip for $25 shipped (this one has a minor defective, behind the kickstands it is not the same material as the rest of the case)

PM me for details.

Bexx

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
UK
2 - slightly used black STM Grip for $25 shipped (this one has a minor defective, behind the kickstands it is not the same material as the rest of the case)

Didn't you have a case with some ugly white adhesive backing behind the kickstands? What happened with that, were you able to exchange it? I'm assuming this isn't it?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I can't believe you guys think highly of this case, I bought it and wrote a short review on amazon about it:

I bought this and I regret my purchase. At first look you think this is the best case out there, but its not.
1) There is an extra bend/tab on the front cover, that when you use iPad in vertically (reading position) it gives a very uncomfortable grip
2) You can't use the back camera unless you hold the iPad like you hold a hardcover book, as the front cover has no opening for the back camera
3) the hinge/bond between the front cover and back cover is weak that they will keep shifting because of the iPad's weight, you have to grip it with a bit of strength
4) The back stands are difficult to take out and put in back again, its not smooth and cool as it looks
5)When you use the iPad in typing position or stand position, its unstable, it gives you a bouncy effect. If you don't trust me, buy it and see for yourself.

A better case exists out there .

dajazz

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I think this case will provide a lot of drop protection despite being so light/thin (hope to not test my theory but my kids will I'm sure).

I can speak to the Grip's drop protection, my iPad recently took a hard 5 foot fall to the ground and landed on one of the corners. The end result? A very tiny indent on the outside of the Grip's corner piece, no damage at all to the iPad.

Overall I'm loving this case! I just went on vacation with it and it was perfect for traveling. I had initially got it thinking I would only use the Grip for traveling and mainly use the leather smart cover for day to day use, but since I put it on I haven't taken it off.

apostolo

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
The case just arrived, very pleased with the overall build quality.Here are some photos.

DSC08949%20-%20Copy.JPG

DSC08950%20-%20Copy.JPG

DSC08951%20-%20Copy.JPG

DSC08958.JPG

DSC08961.JPG

DSC08965.JPG

Click image for full size

Last edited by a moderator:

Cord77

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I can't believe you guys think highly of this case, I bought it and wrote a short review on amazon about it:

I concur, I hate this case and I thought I'd done all the research I needed to get one I would like. The case has no rubbery feel which I expected, it's just hard plastic, the sideways movement of the front cover when in any position except for fully closed feels cheap. The portrait reading mode feels very uncomfortable and cheap.

I've been used to the Marware C.E.O. Hybrid on the iPad 2, and I've got one of the new styles for the iPad 3 winging its way over to me currently. I find it hard to use my iPad regularly until I find the case I'm comfortable with.

It's a shame cos I had high hopes for this case, especially after watching Metagamers glowing review. I had to pay an extra £12.54 VAT + handling charge from the post office, and the packaging was insufficient and there is a permanent scuff mark on one of the corners from the delivery (something heavy was probably chucked onto the jiffy bag).

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Yea I really didn't like this case. Anything that picks up oil just by touching it is not high quality. Plastic looks worse than fake leather and feels cheap. And how can they design the screen cover to have contact with table surfaces when in stand mode. Doesn't make any sense.

Going to take metagamer's reviews with a grain of salt now (even though his videos are done very well) especially when he praised the Berry color. Looks so feminine I can't believe a lot of guys are buying it and thinking its cool. Well its my fault for going against my initial impression and tastes and going on someone's review. Sold it on ebay for $31

geoelectric

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Yea I really didn't like this case. Anything that picks up oil just by touching it is not high quality. Plastic looks worse than fake leather and feels cheap. And how can they design the screen cover to have contact with table surfaces when in stand mode. Doesn't make any sense.

Going to take metagamer's reviews with a grain of salt now (even though his videos are done very well) especially when he praised the Berry color. Looks so feminine I can't believe a lot of guys are buying it and thinking its cool. Well its my fault for going against my initial impression and tastes and going on someone's review. Sold it on ebay for $31

Eh, people have different tastes. I don't think the case is as much of a bust as you did, and I like the color. If I didn't use book mode much, or if I always held the iPad in my left hand (which a lot of people seem to) then I'd have thought it was OK.

Re: the inside cover surface, it's been said ad nauseum, but that's really standard for folio-style cases. It's only been fairly recently that cases started coming out with semi-detached backs such that the cover stays outside down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.