Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
This would be great for my wife. She always has her phone in her bag (like when shopping), and never hears it due to other noise around the place. With the incoming call making the watch vibrate, she won't miss the call! Brilliant.

I also checked out that "I'm" watch - far too expensive ...

good point. if your wife is like mine, she probably has everything but the kitchen sink in her purse too lol

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
The most retarded thing I've heard all day. No thanks.

----------

good point. if your wife is like mine, she probably has everything but the kitchen sink in her purse too lol

Means they're pack rats and high maintenance. Feel sorry for you.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I fail to see how this can be fully implemented until Apple get of their asses and start supporting the Bluetooth message access profile. Get with it Apple, crappy old blackberries can do MAP and the iPhone can't.

TimAlia

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Apple has already released several clock faces for the iPod Nano. I'm betting that by this fall Apple will release integration between the iPhone and Nano watch. It will be touch screen, retina display, and will work way better than any competitors out there, especially Pebble. Don't invest your money in this... wait for Apple to do it the right way.

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
I mean this with no animosity whatsoever, but what would the purpose be?

How would people use this when an iPhone or iPad is most likely really close?

Just curious. I think the concept is neat, but I don't quite get it.

Valid questions, Keebler. Some people like wearing wristwatches. Could be a bling watch, a fancy chronograph, a vintage piece, or a modern techno piece. My phone is always on vibrate but sometimes in a jacket or messenger bag. In some situations, it is not cool to pull your phone out at dinner. To me, it looks like a $100 watch that can do 100x a $4000 watch!

And it just looks fun. I like the idea that somebody besides Apple is taking a shot at this. Consider it a hardware app.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
This is a really cool idea, and as others have said I am hoping Apple has similar plans for the nano. I prefer to wear a watch for many reasons. I consider it rude to pull my phone out during a meeting- it is much less noticeable to glance at my wrist for a second if I need to be keeping track of the time. Also when I'm in the shady parts of town I don't like to pull my phone out, a friend of mine got mugged when someone asked him for the time that way. I'm a total watch dork on top of all that and I have a small collection so stuff like this is exciting to me either way.

donga

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2005
AZ
pledged.

thanks to MR for disseminating info, this is really cool crowdsourcing venture capital

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
As I recall, the watch was just a two way communicator. That "Computer Book" of hers was the real magic tech. Man, who would think to put a COMPUTER in a BOOK genius.

Also, the dog's collar had a retractable camera in it. THAT needs a kickstarter.

Ah yes… looks like your memory is a bit sharper than mine! Yes, the watch just did FaceTime with Brains (the dog) I think.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Best alarm clock accessory of all time.

Yeah I was gonna buy the Jawbone UP for 1 reason: the vibrating alarm. It's brilliant to wake me in the morning whilst not waking my wife.
Hopefully the vibrating mechanism in this thing is strong enough to wake me, plus it has the ability to set an alarm without sounding my iPhone.
If so, I'm sold.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I read the article and was thinking naaaah.

Then I watched the video and thought, THIS IS AMAZING!

I predict Apple buying this company in the future.

jz1492

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2005
...why no one thought of it before.
The company behind the watch even has experience with smart watches. ...called the inPulse ...

Actually, I think I did, on July 24, 2008 in a MacRumors thread titled "The new Apple products prediction thread!!!". :cool:

iWatch: A wristwatch with power saving OLED color screen and short range bluetooth communications to your iPhone / iPod. No flash memory, no speakers or headphones, just a convenient remote control and display for your iDevices. Range is no more than 10 feet to conserve power.

With a multi-touch screen.

That's almost 4 years ago --one full year before these guys introduced their first watch! :eek:

Gee, what would Florian Muller do? Should I take this all the way to Germany first? :p

What??! Did I need to patent it? Are you sure?? :(

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Seems like a cool idea. Definitely come in handy at times. Would be cool if it had a color display similar to the nano so you can have some cool looking watch faces but i guess it will kill the battery.
Why won't it work with the messages app?

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Apple has already released several clock faces for the iPod Nano. I'm betting that by this fall Apple will release integration between the iPhone and Nano watch. It will be touch screen, retina display, and.....

.....be ugly.

MrSandman

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2010
Everyone talks about the nano replacing this thing before its even released. One of the selling points was that this Pebble is waterproof and that is critical for me as a watch. I highly doubt the nano will be waterproof.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I agree. I applaud their initiative and success at developing a product that will make a lot of people happy. But what kind of a world is this where people feel they need something like this? Because it isn't enough to have a thousand distractions in your pocket -- you need them on your wrist, too?

The interesting thing is that wrist watches were originally designed so that you didn't have to check your pocket watch every time you needed to check the time. Now, we're going full circle. Instead of checking your phone every time you need to see it, you just glance at your watch for that information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.