Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I have lost track of the number of times that the iCloud mail system has rejected my password. :mad:

The system need a major overhaul.

THIS.

I really tried to use iCloud email. Removed gmail from my phone and Mac, transferred all emails to me.com, turned on auto forwarding in gmail.

It is simply just terrible. Outages, password reprompts every few minutes, iCloud.com not saving session data.

I really don't want to use gmail anymore but I guess I'll have to.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Went down for me briefly, yesterday and today.

Worst part is the error message.. don't tell me it's a password problem when it's a server problem.

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
It was never not working for me, but I'm happy to say...
attachment.php

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Apple mail just plain sucks. It was horrible as mac.com. Emails would sporadically disappear into the void from all synced devices and the server, as if they never existed. During that period the promise was me.com would fix it. Unfortunately the problems persisted on me.com. I'm sad to hear that iCloud has the same problem. Perhaps Apple has bitten off more than they can chew.

I don't think bitten off more than they could chew, just maybe more than they prepared for. The whole web-sync aspect of Apple's products has always been buggy... they just never seem to throw the adequate resources at it to fix it. I was hoping it would be different with iCloud, since their entire customer base is now starting to depend on it with their most critical data. I'm not sure they get it yet.

They are essentially treating this aspect of their products more like a nifty add-on than mission-critical. One gets the impression that it exists primarily to sync up music, movies, and TV shows, and that the calendars, contacts, mail, etc. are kind of ignored. I sure hope I'm wrong, but that seems to be what I'm seeing so far.

Luckily (knock on wood), I haven't noticed any data loss yet. But, I only have an iPad and one Mac in my little syncing eco-system. People I know with more complex setups (multiple macs or iOS devices) are telling me they notice contacts or events disappearing from iCloud or not syncing properly, etc. So far, the only problem I've had is a number of times, having to kind of give a 'push' to the system to get my bookmarks to sync (basically, go to the other device and add something to get synced up with the first device).

Come on Apple, please don't let us down on this one! Hire a few more good sync folks and get on it. Too many issues in this area actually could ruin the whole reputation of the Apple eco-system. Your market is more than selling phones and movies/music, especially given these are 'smart' phones. Get a bit more serious about your entire eco-system again!***

*** For example, Apple ditched the server line and nerfed their server OS, apparently to focus on consumer products more, or because they didn't think sales numbers for those products were good enough. They seem to be nerfing some of their pro-product lines (software and hardware). IMO, this is not very smart, as the whole eco-system is more complex than the sales numbers in the spreadsheet might tell.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
I think some of you poster who blindly defend Apple are being ignorant. Ive been using Apple only since 94 and the Classic days, I was hyping Apple when Sculley was the guy a POS laptop cost 4200$.So Im not hating just speaking truth and posted a screen shot in an earlier post to corroborate my experience.

Its asinine that they get there program together to have a robust email client. ILL NEVER use iCloud for major storage, certainly nothing critical. That all goes to HD.

With Tim Cook insinuating that iCloud and new iOS and ML to be released is more based around iCloud scares me when they cant have a email client that works for ALL of us. Clearly some have had no issue as posted but some of us have been repeatedly. A guy I work for the same deal, but even worse as he never used another email service, and had years of emails go missing, and had to migrate to Gmail. Its stupid

Very disappointing

CHess

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2001
San Francisco Bay Area
I've had two consulting clients, plus myself with iCloud email issues a couple weeks ago. Mine was out for one day. I had one client who couldn't access email for about the same amount of time, different day. The other client was out of commission for 2 days. It may not affect everyone, but for those who are affected, it's VERY BAD.

Everyone relies on email and expect that it will be there working reliably, like a telephone, when we need it.

Clare

fredoviola

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2008
You are right, it is ridiculous and extremely bad. Service interruptions are bad enough, but when you are looking at an email that you just received,turn around, look back and it's gone.. off not only one laptop, but a second laptop, an iPhone and the server... that is really really bad. And it's happened to me at least 7 times in the last couple of years. I have a gmail account which I am starting to use more, but unfortunately all of my personal and important work contacts email to the me.com account. Oh, and iCloud... I haven't transitioned yet because I do not want to run Lion. All of my friends who work in the same field as me and have already updated warn me not to. It is extremely irresponsible of Apple to not support at least two previous operating systems. They're basically pushing us either to update to Lion, or shoving us away from the syncing environment, which is so much a part of the Apple experience.
I think some of you poster who blindly defend Apple are being ignorant. Ive been using Apple only since 94 and the Classic days, I was hyping Apple when Sculley was the guy a POS laptop cost 4200$.So Im not hating just speaking truth and posted a screen shot in an earlier post to corroborate my experience.

Its asinine that they get there program together to have a robust email client. ILL NEVER use iCloud for major storage, certainly nothing critical. That all goes to HD.

With Tim Cook insinuating that iCloud and new iOS and ML to be released is more based around iCloud scares me when they cant have a email client that works for ALL of us. Clearly some have had no issue as posted but some of us have been repeatedly. A guy I work for the same deal, but even worse as he never used another email service, and had years of emails go missing, and had to migrate to Gmail. Its stupid

Very disappointing

t0rr3s

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
so many billions. so little idea.

mine's working fine, thankfully.
(but good job gmail!)

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I used yahoo for 15 years and I never had any problem regarding lost mail, connection problems or any other problem.
People who need 100% uptime (having a business) for their mail servers better chose a better paid one instead of relying on Apple's mail, problems again and again.
I for one won't use it and see no point in using iCloud either as it seems to be very unreliable.

Mine too. Keeps asking for my password over and over, and a lot of times it's just down. For whatever reason it's not as bad on my iOS devices as my desktop ... really freakin annoying.

Are you using Apple's mail app, could be a problem with keychain, I have that problem for quite a few months, tried repairing my keychain, didn't work, also new passwords don't get remembered in safari, looked at keychain and the mail and safari app both show a generic icon, tried to reimport safari and mail, both moved from their normal Application folder but it won't allow me.
Microsoft entourage shows the right icon and it works.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    31.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 201

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
You are right, it is ridiculous and extremely bad. Service interruptions are bad enough, but when you are looking at an email that you just received,turn around, look back and it's gone.. off not only one laptop, but a second laptop, an iPhone and the server... that is really really bad.

Yep, and this is what scares me WAY more about iCloud than service interruptions. Heck, Gmail just had an outage as well, though not for as long. With something like Dropbox, if something happens, I can look back at history. With iCloud, I can't. What if I accidentally delete a contact? Within seconds, it's gone from all the devices, with no way to bring it back (that I know of). The other day, one of my friends saw a duplicate of a contact... deleted it... and both disappeared... from all his devices too.

I've moved to it (Lion, iOS5, and iCloud), but I'm not real comfortable with the situation, especially given Apple's history with sync. I've been exporting once and a while, just to have a snapshot now and then. Even iCloud backup leaves much to be desired. The other day, the data for an app I use on my iPad went corrupt. I'm backed up with iCloud, but it is fairly useless, as I'd have to wipe the device and restore the whole thing. Fortunately, the app allows snapshot backups and I have one from not too long ago.

iCloud seems nice in concept... it just needs to be much better thought out, implemented, and a number of critical features added. I'm not opposed to going this direction, but they need to be doing things at a much higher level.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Mine spontaneously failed to log in via Mac OS Mail, and since I use my own server for personal email, & gmail for all the BS I don't want in my personal email, I just deleted the account from my Mail apps. Problem solved on my end.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It was stuff like this that pushed me to using other mail services. Mail since MobileMe hasn't really gotten any better.

No system is up 100% of the time. Yet after years of tolerating the various bugs, shortcomings & frustrations of MobileMe, I've setup my own cloud strategy that ignores the inherent risk of iCloud.

It's a nice thought to think at some point Apple will finally "Get it" when it comes to Cloud Services. In the mean time I'm going to use what works for me, while taking a wait & see approach with Apple.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I had problems a few weeks back, where mail were disappearing ... I couldn't retrieve my mail, password was rejected and so on.
This contiuened well after apple claimed all was 100% ok.

Luckily I somehow was able to contact apple and get into a next level operator who worked somehow with the cloud servers etc.

They called me back a week later to ask if all was ok.
By then it was allot bett ... But having lost some of my emails and having such long outages and contiuened issues. It really has made question the reliance and subsiquent value I have on such.

And the truth is, I just don't trust it any more.
I still have a .mac account .... So I have used the services for a good amount of time. But when such issues do happen so frequently and to such a degree it has left me looking for a suitable alternative.

And as for push mail ..... Well it's been up and down for more months than I can remember. (both on wifi and 3G)

Really wish apple outsourced its cloud to someone with a better track record.

Ynot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2006
In many cases POP Mail seems to be the problem

on the 1st of April (Bad Joke on Apples side) my .Mac account could no longer down load any mail, Server not responding and other excuses. The problem is that Apple no longer supports POP Mail or never did, sounded like a text from marketing. Since i changed over to iCloud (was forced to by Apple) and now they tell me that POP was never supposed to be supported. I guess there Software Licenses ran out and it was to expensive to buy new ones. Considering how difficult it is to run POP mail services (/s )and almost every other Mail service has this as a default making imap a Pay option i don't understand Apple that are so "for the Customer" but then that is becoming more and more just marketing. I guess that the Problem is they no longer have a STEVE to get really Pissed at the Responsible departments, to get off there 4letters and fix it.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
I was having some trouble on and off yesterday. Everything seems to be back up and running now. No biggie.

Gmail had similar outages the day before. It happens.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I don't feel confident in iCloud. I don't get the vibe that it "just works". I think it needs more time to become seamless, reliable, and fluid.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
I really tried to use iCloud email. Removed gmail from my phone and Mac, transferred all emails to me.com, turned on auto forwarding in gmail.

It is simply just terrible. Outages, password reprompts every few minutes, iCloud.com not saving session data.

I really don't want to use gmail anymore but I guess I'll have to.
There are free alternatives to Gmail.

You can use AOL (yes, them) but with a domain name other than aol.com. AOL's e-mail is very reliable and offers IMAP.

There's also Zoho.com, again free IMAP mail (and other services).

I am a former MobileMe subscriber and current iCloud user, however I do not use iCloud e-mail nor notes. Too unreliable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.