Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogan

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2009
Dam hipsters ruining us pro's sales percentages with their $1000 college dorm room photobooth's.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
If Apple drops 17" MBP I'll drop Apple. I require large (matte) screen, lots of power and hopefully expandebility from my laptop. I couldn't care less how slim it is. If I want slim I can have my iPad but if I need to do serious work on road I need my 17" MBP. Worst thing that happened to pro users were the success of iToys...

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
A lot of professional video and photo editors will get angry at this. A lot of them love their 17" MBPs.

(I have a fair few as customers)

iDemiurge

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2011
Portugal
Guess they'll drop the iPad too, since it doesn't sell nearly as much as the iPhone.

Flawed logic aside, they might indeed drop de 17". Right now this is the laptop for those who clearly do not want to buy an external monitor. This group is getting smaller, even among pros. If apple can sell you a 15" plus a thunderbolt display, why would they sell you a 17" for only a couple hundred bucks more? :-/

d3bruts1d

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2009
TN
Well, this news if true is really discouraging. I made the decision a few months ago to purchase a new MBP 17" to use as a DTR/Mobile office. I had been holding off on the purchase to see if the redesign does indeed drop the optical drive and move to a more MBA-ish design. The thoughts of a 17" HiDPI screen had me drooling, this rumor has me weeping.

Beliblis

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2011
Great news!!! I hope they ditch the Mac Pro too. Both these products are of the past. Nobody wants to carry around a 17" laptop anymore, and certainly very few people want a bulky desktop computer unit that attaches to a separate external monitor.

External monitors? You obviously have absolutely ZERO idea of what you're talking about.
Have you heard of Eizo, Quato, NEC? So why don't they discontinue their high-end AdobeRGB-capable monitor lines? Because it's still good business for them.

I know there's the MacMini – but unless they double its size & processor cores, that's not fast enough for professional use. Even if it's "only" photographers... Try working fluently(!) with high-res camera RAW files (focus check in Lightroom for example) and you'll know why there's a need for a Mac Pro.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?

well my MBP has 8 GB ram, SSD and more ports etc ;)

leo.andres.21

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2008
Centre of the Attention
Next, you will go back to Windows and Dell's business products, like anybody else who uses computers professionally. It's that simple.

That being said, the 17" Apple notebooks were awesome. Personally, I never saw the benefits of the 15" models - they're a strange compromise between a workstation replacement and a true mobile system, neither being one or the other. The 12" and 13" Apple notebooks were amazing if you needed something mobile, and the 17" series was great if wanted a desktop system that could easily be moved from one work place to another. But why would somebody want the 15" model? Anyway. Who does still care? Apparently, Apple wants to transform their notebooks into iPads with keyboards and trackpads and I'm sure that I won't follow them onto that journey.

I will have to disagree with you there. As external monitors are becoming increasingly cheap, people tend to go with a smaller notebook even for their desktop set up. The 15" model is the perfect compromise between 13" and 17", it has some mobility of the 13", but it's just as powerful as the 17". People sees things on both end of the spectrum and often settle to have benefits of both. 17" only holds a slightly bigger screen and high res, and a few more ports (1 USB and an express card slot), which I feel, as many others do, doesn't justify the $700 price premium, with that, you could get an iPad or add a bit more and you get a Thunderbolt display. Sure, some users (namely you) like to use a bigger machine without the hassle of plugging and unplugging your laptop every time you leave the table, but then the mass considers the economic factors too. And it doesn't look good for the 17 incher.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Again you don't want one, but others might have a differing opinion. It really does depend on what you require from your machine.

Several of you are incapable of viewing a product line beyond how it relates to your own needs. I like the 15" personally, but it's a matter of how much screen real estate you require when the external display is not an option. It's actually weird how much you guys go off mindless anecdotes. Regarding the mac pro, they may own one as well. You really don't know. It's not that uncommon to own one of the top macbook pros as well if you own a mac pro. I have seen people who used to purchase 17" models going to 15" versions in the past few years, but that's an anecdote rather than a meaningful sample (not only a small number but poorly randomized), which is why I don't present it as an argument related to the health of the product line.

My point about the massive range of cheaper alternatives in the sphere of desktop replacement Macbooks & iMacs is not due to my own narrow choice band. I don't want any of them, I have already got the Mac Pro of my dreams.
Over 3 million MacBook buyers chose a cheaper one. 50,000 did indeed choose a 17" but that is a tiny market share. This is the point, Apple cannabalised the vast majority of 17" potential buyers with the cheaper other models.
They couldn't justify the expense either I assume.

thegreypatch

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2012
showing love for the 17", but to be honest could really do with some NEW news about the ivy bridges coming out today and hopefully the soon sought after 15" re-design!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
I will have to disagree with you there. As external monitors are becoming increasingly cheap, people tend to go with a smaller notebook even for their desktop set up. The 15" model is the perfect compromise between 13" and 17", it has some mobility of the 13", but it's just as powerful as the 17". People sees things on both end of the spectrum and often settle to have benefits of both. 17" only holds a slightly bigger screen and high res, and a few more ports (1 USB and an express card slot), which I feel, as many others do, doesn't justify the $700 price premium, with that, you could get an iPad or add a bit more and you get a Thunderbolt display. Sure, some users (namely you) like to use a bigger machine without the hassle of plugging and unplugging your laptop every time you leave the table, but then the mass considers the economic factors too. And it doesn't look good for the 17 incher.

That $700 price premium is one reason why I'm not convinced by the rumour. It almost certainly has a much larger profit margin than the lesser MBPs to make up for smaller sales. Whether or not it is justified is the buyer's choice. Why do people buy an S Class when a C Class is nearly the same and does all the same things but is smaller? You could use the same arguments about volumes and price there too.

rev.b

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Portugal
17" 1920x1200 is the perfect macbook for me. I can do productive work everywhere, the desktop real estate is fantastic. Much better than the 15" I previously owned.

If they ditch the 17", no more macbook for me. Shame on apple.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I'm quite disappointed with the sales number of the MacBook Air in the article, especially when it is compared with the strong sales of the MBP 13". MBA 13" is in every aspect much faster than the MBP 13", the screen is a lot better too. When you take the price of an equivalent SSD in the consideration, MBA 13" is much cheaper too.

So are people buying the 13" MBP just for the word "Pro"?

Nope. They want/need the space and the MBA SSDs are still just too small for many who run these as their solo machine.

I guess some like the ODD too, but will eventually realise that they never really use it. But it looks more like what they're used to; creatures of habit, eh.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
This is very possible. If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.
In your opinion. I have had to use 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 Dell 15.4/15.6" laptops for work for years, and it's not a great experience compared to the same resolution on a 17" screen. UI elements are just too small. Apple have decided it was not a good idea up until now, when they could have offered it years ago. So what has changed?

rev.b

macrumors regular
May 1, 2009
Portugal
This is very possible. If the new 15" MBP features full HD resolution, there will be absolutely no point in having a bulkier and heavier 17" laptop. The only justification for the 17" model until now was its higher resolution compared to the 15" model.

1920x1200 on a 15" is useful for eyestrain, not for working...

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Great news!!! I hope they ditch the Mac Pro too. Both these products are of the past. Nobody wants to carry around a 17" laptop anymore, and certainly very few people want a bulky desktop computer unit that attaches to a separate external monitor.

Go play with you iToys and grow up. Some day in the distant future you actually might use Mac's to do something that that is considered creation and not content consumption. Only then you realize that there is need for MP's and those large screen MBP's.

----------

Guess they'll drop the iPad too, since it doesn't sell nearly as much as the iPhone.

Flawed logic aside, they might indeed drop de 17". Right now this is the laptop for those who clearly do not want to buy an external monitor. This group is getting smaller, even among pros. If apple can sell you a 15" plus a thunderbolt display, why would they sell you a 17" for only a couple hundred bucks more? :-/

You want to take external monitor with you when you go out? It's a laptop you know...

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
I'm not 100 percent sure but aren't the new introductions of macbook pro's always unified. Everybody's talking about 15" pro's to be released next week but my gut tells me that they're just simply release all models after Mountain Lion or along with it. It would make sense.

I can see 17" to be dropped as well as Mac Pro, I think we will get the answer to that soon but if Apple keeps the unibody design I think they'll keep 17" as well.

Yeah, I'm one of those people that wouldn't be surprised if the unibody design stayed with us a bit longer. And why not, it's great.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

There is a reason. It's called good working environment. I own couple of 17" MBP's and I would never swap them to to 15". BTW. I also have one old 15" so I know it from experience.

639me

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
tromsø, the arctic
happy i got the last one then. 512GB SSD 16GB RAM. :D:D:D
but seeing all the thunderbolt peripherals coming now WITH ONLY ONE TB CONNECTOR:mad:, i may have to get a decent 15'' when they start shipping with two TB connectors

Last edited:

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
if the 13" air has the resolution of the 15" MBP, its feasible that an updated 15" pro/air/whatever could have the resolution of the 17"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.