Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Proph3T

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2010
This is certainly a little sad. At least I won't have the need to upgrade to a new ivy bridge 17in this year. but a few years down the road when i really need a new one... sad day.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I would say, that is possible, if we consider the 15' to have a retina display, because the pixel density would be better than the actual 17' and the 17'ches would not make a really better retina than 15'ches,wich means almost there,so 17 inches would be obsolete.

Brain freeze... Try using 15" MBP 10 hours straight and then do the same with 17" and tell me which one you prefer. This has nothing to do with retina displays. It's all about usability in demanding environment.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
I can, battery life. Without making it thicker and heavier anyway.

Yeah,but the battery life would become anyway more than better with a ssd and the ivy bridge!

----------

Brain freeze... Try using 15" MBP 10 hours straight and then do the same with 17" and tell me which one you prefer. This has nothing to do with retina displays. It's all about usability in demanding environment.

Its cause of the pixel density you are saying this,not cause the inches!

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
Please, please please: NO!
This is the worst rumor I have heard in a long, long time.

:eek:

The 17 MBP is the sweet spot and also the workhorse of the whole product line.
For me, it combines the best of all worlds.

it is NOT bigger/clunkier/heavier/ than a 15 MBP (come on guys, have you ever really compared?!) but the screen estate is soooo much better (and that will not be the same in a higher pixel density 15 inch - the PPI cannot get too high, or everything will simply be too small!

Further: More room for battery & cooling, better speakers, more connections – please don't drop this, really, do not. Very, very bad idea.

nitro912gr

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
Athens, Greece
So we have rumors for dropping mac pro and now rumors for dropping macbook pro 17...

ok...

I don't know what they are thinking, but if they continue this way I see a future where the content is made in windows pcs and play at mac...
And that sucks... and just right now that I wait the next refresh to consider abandoning windows platform completely...

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Looks like Apple doesn't care about pro market anymore:rolleyes:

Not at all. It looks like someone who just moved to another company and wants to get noticed made some prediction, based on his guesses of sales numbers and nothing else, that Apple would discontinue some computer model. This doesn't say anything about Apple actually, only about the person making the prediction.

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
People in the know... know this stuff. Others fall prey to sales people.

Not hardly.

I've been making my living on a Mac for something like 20 years now. I'm in IT, not the creative industries.

3 machines ago I was finally able to move away from the painful world of having multiple machines at home and work--and having to constantly shuffle content between them--to a single maxed-out 15" PBG4 AlBook. Since then I've had 2 17" MBPs, and I never want to go back to the 15".

I work with it connected to external displays (internal display still on) about 95% of the time. When I do have to work with it disconnected from an external monitor -- in a meeting, traveling for work, etc. -- the 17 doesnt make me grind my teeth in frustration about the lack of screen real estate like the 15" did.

In terms of weight, the 17" is less than a pound heavier than the 15". Overall, it's light enough that I hardly notice it in my backpack as I walk a couple of miles each day. To those folks who say "it's so heavy!" I'd respond "If you really can't manage it, you probably should be spending more time at the gym." (6.8 lbs is something like 2.5% of my body weight--essentially nothing to carry...)

I'm also starting to feel the same way about the 3.5" screen on the iPhone--it really is feeling cramped these days. 4" would be nice, 4.5" or 5" would be better.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Yeah,but the battery life would become anyway more than better with a ssd and the ivy bridge!
SSD won't make any significant improvement in battery life. I upgraded to one in my current MBP and it's no better or worse than it was before with the regular disk. The power the disk uses is insignificant compared to running the screen.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Please, please please: NO!
This is the worst rumor I have heard in a long, long time.

:eek:

The 17 MBP is the sweet spot and also the workhorse of the whole product line.
For me, it combines the best of all worlds.

it is NOT bigger/clunkier/heavier/ than a 15 MBP (come on guys, have you ever really compared?!) but the screen estate is soooo much better (and that will not be the same in a higher pixel density 15 inch - the PPI cannot get too high, or everything will simply be too small!

Further: More room for battery & cooling, better speakers, more connections – please don't drop this, really, do not. Very, very bad idea.

LOL buy or use and external screen or ur tv,there you even have alot more inches;)

arcite

macrumors 6502a
One can see the logic in them dropping the line if it comes down to the numbers, as 50,000 is nothing when compared to their other product lines. On the other hand, Apple would lose a lot of love from the professional community in such a move. Wait and see I guess! :rolleyes:

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Do people actually take computers out side of their homes?

I mean other than to work why would anyone take their notebook with them

Yes. To work.

And I don't mean to take work on vacation.

A lot of creative professionals work on a consulting basis. That means they may work at times in a client's office or on location or simply out of Starbucks because they're sick of sitting alone in their home office. Some choose to work freelance in large part so they can sit in the park with their laptop on a sunny day and enjoy being outside.

----------

LOL buy or use and external screen or ur tv,there you even have alot more inches;)

And what, carry your TV to the coffee shop or park or the client's office?

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
SSD won't make any significant improvement in battery life. I upgraded to one in my current MBP and it's no better or worse than it was before with the regular disk. The power the disk uses is insignificant compared to running the screen.
A regular disk always trys in the background to spin,specially to see if its needed,while a ssd works always then whrn yo u really need it.SSD protects ur battery life not necessarly the durance of a useing cycle,but ivy bridge does!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
What part about how a laptop shouldn't need an external display is it that you don't get? It's kind of hard to use a laptop while watching TV with the family if you are using the TV for the screen display. No-one is going to carry an external monitor around with them outside the home, and people may not want to use an external display when at home. Laptops freed people from needing to be tied to a location with some other display device available. They made it possible to just put the laptop away when not using it so the house isn't cluttered with computer crap. Maybe people don't want to go back to being tethered to a fixed location for the display.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
Yes. To work.

And I don't mean to take work on vacation.

A lot of creative professionals work on a consulting basis. That means they may work at times in a client's office or on location or simply out of Starbucks because they're sick of sitting alone in their home office. Some choose to work freelance in large part so they can sit in the park with their laptop on a sunny day and enjoy being outside.

----------

And what, carry your TV to the coffee shop or park or the client's office?

You wont see that big difference compareing a retina 15' with a actual 17' am sure;)

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008

----------

Its cause of the pixel density you are saying this,not cause the inches!

You can have usable resolution of 1920*1080 on 17" screen. The same resolution on 15" is wearing your eyes down. Many need that "full HD" screen res for their work. Pixel density doesn't help here.

macintoshi

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Switzerland
well observed, my friend.
and so beneficial!:roll eyes:

We still talk about portable computers, don't we?
Yes actually yes, but they make such a big difference between 15' retina and 17 normal one, that i included a external screen, because if i really need that much inches, i do prefere more than 17 inches;)

----------

You can have usable resolution of 1920*1080 on 17" screen. The same resolution on 15" is wearing your eyes down. Many need that "full HD" screen res for their work. Pixel density doesn't help here.
Yes but i am talkin of a retina display, the resolution would be more higher than: 1920*1080

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
What a pointless story this is. The guy has just looked at the sales figures and declared the 17" will be dropped? With any normal business maybe but this is Apple and they don't stick to our the business rules. I'd love to know what this 'analyst' states about the Mac Pro?

----------

Not at all. It looks like someone who just moved to another company and wants to get noticed made some prediction, based on his guesses of sales numbers and nothing else, that Apple would discontinue some computer model. This doesn't say anything about Apple actually, only about the person making the prediction.

This.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
If those sales figures are true, we may well be losing the 17" model. It would a pity if we did, it is only at that size that some graphics work becomes practical, and it is a great halo machine for the range.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Yes actually yes, but they make such a big difference between 15' retina and 17 normal one, that i included a external screen, because if i really need that much inches, i do prefere more than 17 inches;)

----------

Yes but i am talkin of a retina display, the resolution would be more higher than: 1920*1080

Yes, the physical resolution is higher but even then the actual screen real estate is less. If its "full HD" then it's small as hell. Try viewing that small screen for 10 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.