Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's absolutely ridiculous; "evil" does not even come close to what Google determines through these open-ended "permissions"...to create "derivative works" out of my OWN FILES? Are they effing crazy?

Legalese always makes things sound worse than what it actually is. That's basically a "hey, if someone takes one of the files you've posted online through a Google account, and uses it for some incredibly awkward Sonic The Hedgehog fanfiction, you can't sue us over it" clause.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
Google doesn't do things for the consumer anymore - they do things to secure more and more of your information for advertisers.

Rational people should be very wary of this.

ObjectiveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Not Apple news or a rumor. Only posted so that Apple fans can insult the competition and use the rolleyes emoticon.

SteveSwish

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
I use Dropbox right now and really all I'm currently using it for is to share and backup my photos and videos between my android and macbook... and since Google Drive gives 5GB as opposed to Dropbox's 2.8GB (after incentive bonus') its worth considering a switch.

binarymelon

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
Box.com does all of this already, with none of the cons listed by the dropbox user. You can set permissions so that certain users can only view, download, edt, etc.... nobody will be deleting data from your shared folders unless you permit them to. Box.com for the win.

Box.com doesn't allow desktop syncing on the free accounts does it?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Make sure you read up on their TOS...which is directly linked from their Google Drive Terms of Service page:

Some of our Services allow you to submit content. You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content. In short, what belongs to you stays yours.

When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones. This license continues even if you stop using our Services (for example, for a business listing you have added to Google Maps). Some Services may offer you ways to access and remove content that has been provided to that Service. Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services. Make sure you have the necessary rights to grant us this license for any content that you submit to our Services.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
To the guy sewing FUD about the privacy policy and "derivative works," why didn't you include the next couple of sentences from that paragraph you took a screenshot of?

"Also, in some of our Services, there are terms or settings that narrow the scope of our use of the content submitted in those Services."

Seems fairly relevant, considering the implications you were trying to make.

The derivative works clause is specifically mentioned to be for things like auto-translation services, and for format-modification services (if you post a youtube video at 720p, they can display it at 240p as well. This is a derivative work in the strictest sense).

The most important part of all of this is "You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content."

Renzatic

Suspended
Make sure you read up on their TOS...which is directly linked from their Google Drive Terms of Service page:

...and like I said on the previous page...

Legalese always makes things sound worse than what it actually is. That's basically a "hey, if someone takes one of the files you've posted online through a Google account, and uses it for some incredibly awkward Sonic The Hedgehog fanfiction, you can't sue us over it" clause.

Can't Stop

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2011

Then maybe is should sound exactly like that?

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
Dropbox gave me 2GB (though I got it increased to 3.5 now). Google is going to give me 5GB (is this on top of my Gmail space I never use?). Amazon says it'll pitch in another 2GB. Apple took away my 20GB (of do what I want space). And Microsoft just tried to sneak my SkyDrive down to 7GB (I made sure to say I'd like to keep 25GB, though I'm using 16kb I think. Also, my university uses the live@edu, hence why I even have SkyDrive).

This cloud **** is nuts. I barely can remember where I keep things on my computer, let alone on servers/clouds. I also got 3TB of NAS at work accessible anywhere via VPN with incredible speeds. Why do I bother?

Now how about a service that'll sync up each cloud? Maybe I want my stuff backed up in multiple places, maybe I like the interface of one better on one device and another on another device but access to the same files, etc.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
You do realize that your 1password database is encrypted, right? You can hand out your 1password file to everyone, and it will still take them centuries to break the encryption (provided your password is complex enough).

I do but it still makes me uncomfortable. As you mention, the level of encryption depends on the strength of the password. Once someone has the database in their possession what's to stop them from applying some type of brute force decryption method? There's no IP logging to trap the failed attempts. As processing power increases, the possible permutations per second increase. 10 years from now can we really say it will take centuries to crack?

I'm probably just being paranoid but I haven't found good enough answers to these questions yet. I'd much prefer it that 1Password is the only app that can access my 1Password database and that type of restriction would need to be handled at a file permission level I would think.

tonytiger13

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
I do but it still makes me uncomfortable. As you mention, the level of encryption depends on the strength of the password. Once someone has the database in their possession what's to stop them from applying some type of brute force decryption method? There's no IP logging to trap the failed attempts. As processing power increases, the possible permutations per second increase. 10 years from now can we really say it will take centuries to crack?

I'm probably just being paranoid but I haven't found good enough answers to these questions yet. I'd much prefer it that 1Password is the only app that can access my 1Password database and that type of restriction would need to be handled at a file permission level I would think.

Rightly said. Hackers build bot-nets to do this kind of stuff. What would take a single computer a century could take months, or even days with a super network of compromised computers. I'm sure 1Password has amazing encryption process (I hope at least, I use it too.).

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Not Apple news or a rumor. Only posted so that Apple fans can insult the competition and use the rolleyes emoticon.

Darn it. You're right! MacRumors has only ever posted Mac rumors and nothing else ever. This is an outrage. I demand a refund.

BTW, you should start your own Mac rumors site in protest and do it right. That'll teach 'em!

deadwalrus

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2011
That's absolutely ridiculous; "evil" does not even come close to what Google determines through these open-ended "permissions"...to create "derivative works" out of my OWN FILES? Are they effing crazy?

While this grants Google the right to do more than they should be doing (and more than they will likely ever do), it is also necessary to avoid claims of infringement. I.e., if Google didn't include this language authorizing them to copy and create derivative works of your content, then they would be susceptible to claims of copyright infringement every time they copy your files to their servers, and when they create derivative works by indexing / sorting those files -- two of the exact things this service hopes to accomplish.

I'm not saying Google is acting like a choir boy, but your hyperbole is clearly what is ridiculous here.

yadmonkey

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2002
Western Spiral
10 years from now can we really say it will take centuries to crack?

1. Ten years from now, if all of your passwords are still the same, then you deserve to be hacked.

2. Do you really think somebody is going to devote all of those resources over a 10+ year period to hack your database? Seems to me they'd have to have a REALLY good reason.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
This might be just specific for my situation, but I was wondering if this or skydive or similar products could off the following.

What I am looking for is a cloud based storage for my iPhoto library, so that anytime I add new photos to it, rather than copying the pics onto my MacBook air Hargrove, it would immediately upload it to the iphoto library in the cloud. I'd also like this library top be accessible from any of my macs, allowing me to add photos or events from one computer and have it show up across all.

Does any product like this exist? Will anything discussed in this thread allow me to do this?

SE30rulez!

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
gee, how original

Is G slipping into the copy-cat business model that MS has been criticized for for the last decade?

how about instead of yet-another-cloud-storage-product they actually do something innovative? (peering into my windows with their map-car-cameras does not count :p)

best of luck to them but it feels like a me-too. oh well...

ObjectiveV

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Darn it. You're right! MacRumors has only ever posted Mac rumors and nothing else ever. This is an outrage. I demand a refund.

BTW, you should start your own Mac rumors site in protest and do it right. That'll teach 'em!

I wrote two sentences for a reason. It's not the content, it's the intent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.