Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
4G is only used on AT&T models to designate when they are in an HSPA+ area--Verizon models will show 3G when outside of LTE coverage.

Correct.

It'll say "Verizon LTE" or "AT&T LTE" when you're on LTE service. It'll say "AT&T 4G" for HSPA (AT&T's 3.5G service), and either "Verizon 3G" or "AT&T 3G" for normal 3G coverage areas.

It'll ONLY say "LTE" if you've signed up for a prepaid or postpaid plan. If you don't have paid service, it will not say "LTE" -- even if you're in an LTE area.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Wha--!!?

OK, dumb question here. But I thought LTE WAS 4G..... Is this not correct? Is LTE suppose to be faster than 4G?

Can someone post a "approx. speed rate" for wifi, 4G, and LTE in this thread?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
OK, dumb question here. But I thought LTE WAS 4G..... Is this not correct? Is LTE suppose to be faster than 4G?

Can someone post a "approx. speed rate" for wifi, 4G, and LTE in this thread?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AT&T's 4G has speeds up to 14Mbps max.

WiFi depends on the Internet connection the router is hooked up to.

LTE is around 30-40 Mbps

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Aww crap. So my new iPad is not LTE capable? Only 4G capable?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

He said that LTE is capable of those speeds. If you aren't getting that speed, it's not because the iPad isn't compatible. Besides, the only 4G iPads are the LTE capable ones as far as I know.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Jerk!

Ah... It's a profit deal. Takes the pressure off...

"Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!!"

:D :D :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.