Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Is this you?

No, is this you;

tumblr_lq3pmiBV8S1qzvza8.jpg

----------

I'm marking this thread to see you eat crow when the 4" iPhone 5 comes out in October. If you'd ever laid hands on a decent 4" phone, you wouldn't be acting so childish over this issue.

I take it this will be you on that day when your life is complete;

fullsize_12.jpg

Me, obviously, my life will be truly over. I mean, some weirdos on a forum say one thing and I disagreed, OH NOES!!!!

DOWN ARROW NOW PLS

In all seriousness, current form factor doesn't get messed with all good. Bigger device, no thanks. Bigger screen on same form factor, awesome, means you kids can see more of the level on Angry Birds then :D

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
The Galaxy Note looks nice, however, the size is too large. I saw it for the first time at my cousin's Facebook (I've heard of it but never bothered to look at it) and I swear I thought it was a mini tablet.

----------

Also, since the iPhone 5 will be my first iPhone, there are lots of talk here where people want the screen to be bigger. I don't want that. I've used my friend's iPhone and I think it is the perfect size. If it's too large it will be a hassle to use.
keyword, "first"

you haven't owned an iphone since 2007. try owning one for 4-5 years then you will see.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If and when Apple releases an iPhone that is over 3.7", I fully expect those that are claiming 3.5-3.7" is the perfect smartphone size to complain that the new iPhone is too big and that Apple has made an egregious mistake going so large. And for those who insist on the importance of using it with one hand, I fully expect you to maintain that the benefits of a larger screen are not worth the trade off of one-hand use.

Apple will get an earful, I am sure. I look forward to it.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I, for one, wouldn't mind a bigger screen as long as the size of the phone stays close to this size. Every once in a while I feel like it'd be nice to have a bigger screen, but the trade-off is not worth it IMO.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Id love for the phone to be the same size with a bigger screen. Use the device real estate a little better and keep the same compact feel. That would be a serious win in my book

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
yep. dont mint bigger screen as long as they keep the phone size the same. I fear they will increase the size of the phone for the sake of the battery though, and try and justify/explain that with the increased screen size. I for one have noticed the 4S runs out of power faster than the 4. Add LTE to that and a larger battery seems inevitable.

mrbutters

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
The only people concerned with one handed use puzzle me. When can you not use both hands? Are you constantly driving and trying to use your phone? Illegal by the way. Are you always carrying something? Do you have small hands? Most people I see using their phones hold it in one hand and use the other to do things on it or they use both while typing a text or email. 3.5 inches is terribly small for anything as you constantly have to zoom in to see text on any website or even emails and forget watching videos or movies.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
The only people concerned with one handed use puzzle me. When can you not use both hands? Are you constantly driving and trying to use your phone? Illegal by the way. Are you always carrying something? Do you have small hands? Most people I see using their phones hold it in one hand and use the other to do things on it or they use both while typing a text or email. 3.5 inches is terribly small for anything as you constantly have to zoom in to see text on any website or even emails and forget watching videos or movies.

Just buy one of those Galaxy brick/notes already :D

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
why not just make the iphone even smaller so people with super small hands can use it one handed!!!!

So what you're saying is that everyone that likes the iPhone form factor as is has small hands. Very broad sweeping statement.

Much like this;

Anyone that complains about the size of the device has hands like this;

huge-hands.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot my numerous exclamation marks.

Ready, here we go;

!!!!!!!!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

One handed use is crucial for many, including myself. Riding the subway and holding onto a form. Walking down the street and holding a bag of groceries/anything or my girlfriend's hand. Walking through an airport with my carry-on in one hand as I need to make important phone calls on the go. Riding the elliptical machine at the gym and needing to hold onto at least one handle. You don't realize how important being able to use your smartphone with one hand is until you can't do it. (When the device is too big.)

Personally I think people who make a case to keep the screen at 3.5" because you need to use it with one hand is ridiculous. (Like John Gruber.) I was using the One X last week at AT&T. It's larger than an iPhone of course but because it's so light and has a curved backing I have no worries that I could operate it with one hand. The iPhone could get bigger and people would still be able to use it with one hand. But there is a limit to that too with respect to dimensions.

Also, just for the record, I am not a 'believer' in the 3.5" screen. I find it to be too small for quite some time now. 4" is the least it should be IMO.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

It not illegal everywhere.

It's not that I *always* only have one hand free, it's just that it's more comfortable to use with one hand. The only time I ever see an iPhone user have both hands on the phone, is when typing. All other uses is with one hand. Think about it, if it were more comfortable to use two hands, wouldn't that be the primary use case when holding the phone?

I have never seen someone using an iPhone by holding it with one hand and poking at it. I have noticed this behavior, however, with a co-worker on the Droid Razr.

NewtonApple

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2012
Ellijay GA
Id love for the phone to be the same size with a bigger screen. Use the device real estate a little better and keep the same compact feel. That would be a serious win in my book

I would not mind it getting a little bit bigger, 4" max.

This way "Sissy" hands will still be able to use it. (Can you hear me now):p

Many do not want it bigger as it will make them feel ""inadequate"" :eek:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I hope the next iPhone has a screen of 4.5" or larger just to irritate all you babies wanting it to stay at 3.5". :eek::eek::eek:

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Yep, was just thinking the same thing!

Love to see them run panic. In the end they will suck it up and buy that new iHonker, they have no choice!:p

Yep. They'll whine on here for the first couple of hours then go line up outside to go buy it.

I love iSheep!!! I just hope it doesn't rain and mess up their wool. ;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
SCOOP!

New iPhone prototype seen in the wild;

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?!

Must you exaggerate everything? So, just because you like the size, anyone thinking different is wrong?

Call me weird, but I never used one hand with my iPhone 3G or 4. I also always used the speakerphone. So, going to the Note was a no-brainer for me, since now games and books are so much better than my iPhone experience. However, I'm sure many think the iPhone is just fine for them at playing games/reading books. I'm glad there is a choice; it's just too bad Apple has given any choice in having a bigger screen....yet.

Jeez, get a new pic.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
Yep. They'll whine on here for the first couple of hours then go line up outside to go buy it.

I love iSheep!!! I just hope it doesn't rain and mess up their wool. ;)

Unless you're rockin' one of these sized handsets that you've currently got wood over;

296989.png

Then you are using an iPhone and having to put up with that teeny weeny itty bitty screen that you bitch about relentlessly, which would then make you one of said iLivestock you referred.

No need to respond unless its "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full"

----------

Must you exaggerate everything?

What, like stating that everyone that likes the current screen has small hands.

Or like EVERY iPhone user wants a bigger screen.

Or do you mean some other exaggeration?

See what I'm getting at?

I get as ridiculous as the people I'm responding to.

So, just because you like the size, anyone thinking different is wrong?

I asked why the bigger screen and then the insults started, so I just retort in kind. I do enjoy a good trollfest :D

Call me weird, but I never used one hand with my iPhone 3G or 4. I also always used the speakerphone. So, going to the Note was a no-brainer for me, since now games and books are so much better than my iPhone experience. However, I'm sure many think the iPhone is just fine for them at playing games/reading books. I'm glad there is a choice; it's just too bad Apple has given any choice in having a bigger screen....yet.

You're weird.

stickybuns

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
Given that the next iPhone will have either LTE or 4G, it really isn't that big a leap in deduction to say that many people will buy it regardless of size preference.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
This thread is full of nonsense and fanboyism. If you just look at it it objectively then 4.3" and 4.7" is just much better. You get more screen real estate, you get more pictures and texts on your screen. You have more space on you virtual keyboard.

Any application benefits hugely from an increased diagonal. If you say otherwise then you have to be smoking something. You see more facebook pictures and wallposts, more text in emails, much easier to browse the web. Overal a much better experience. Tell me how this is a bad thing?

I switch to a 4.3" phone and want an even bigger phone. Its super easy. I am not lying to you guys. I have trascended beyond what apple was feeding me all these years and it was wrong. I was plain wrong. I never want to go back to 3.5" anymore. it feels so small and cramped. Why do you guys think I am lying to you?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
This thread is full of nonsense and fanboyism. If you just look at it it objectively then 4.3" and 4.7" is just much better. You get more screen real estate, you get more pictures and texts on your screen. You have more space on you virtual keyboard.

Any application benefits hugely from an increased diagonal. If you say otherwise then you have to be smoking something. You see more facebook pictures and wallposts, more text in emails, much easier to browse the web. Overal a much better experience. Tell me how this is a bad thing?

Because I can't reach the top of my screen which is a few millimeters away! Because it's so frighteningly uncomfortable to stretch my thumb a little bit more, or to shift my hand slightly, because when I'm using my phone one handed, it must remain in that position always! Can't you see how this is paramount? Can't you see why this is far more important than all those benefits you listed?

Duh.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012

I switch to a 4.3" phone and want an even bigger phone. Its super easy. I am not lying to you guys. I have trascended beyond what apple was feeding me all these years and it was wrong. I was plain wrong. I never want to go back to 3.5" anymore. it feels so small and cramped. Why do you guys think I am lying to you?

A great* man once said;

This thread is full of nonsense and fanboyism.

This was just proven even further with post #72.

*great at adding nonsense and fanboyism to nonsense and fanboyism, subject to status, terms and conditions apply, no refunds and no warranty.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

While I agree I want a larger screen, you preference is yours not everyone's.

My iPhone with a case is about/smaller the size of my razr without a case (height and width). I could see some argue that is too big.

I love using a 4.3" screen though and like you said 3.5" feels cramped after using something bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.