Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bought One Piece Unlimited Cruise for the 3DS. Needless to say I'll be trading it in ASAP (it sucks ass).

Prototype 2 arrives today. Will probably hate it too.

Edit. Play Prototype 2 for a while and it's alright. Reminds me more of infamous 2, same repetitive task repeated over and over to level up / gain new ability.

It's mind numbing but entertaining.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Pokemon Rumble on the 3DS is pretty good, bought it some weeks/months(?) ago and hadn't played it until this weekend. If you can get it cheap and like the series I'd recommend it. Deeeefinitely not worth the asking price though! I got mine for £15 and that's the most anyone should ever pay for it.

Preordered Mortal Kombat Vita, really enjoying Disgaea 3 Vita and Street Fighter x Tekken.

PreacherKane

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
London, England
Hoping to get Ghost Recon Future Soldier

Attachments

• Ghost Recon Future Soldier 1.jpg
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier 1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 72

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Picked up Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for both Vita and PS3 (got a good deal on both). First time I've played a MK game since MK3 on the Mega Drive, tis good!

Looks horrible on the Vita though. The game has been hugely scaled down and even runs at half (well, quarter) resolution. Menu looks amazing though.

rainbowdementia

macrumors regular
May 3, 2012
Nintendo 3DS Zelda Edition (le w00t)
Oregon Trail 3DS
Harvest Moon Tale of Two Towns 3DS
Kid Icarus ..Uprising? 3DS
Tales of the Abyss 3DS

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Picked up Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for both Vita and PS3 (got a good deal on both). First time I've played a MK game since MK3 on the Mega Drive, tis good!

Looks horrible on the Vita though. The game has been hugely scaled down and even runs at half (well, quarter) resolution. Menu looks amazing though.

Really that bad on Vita? It's prob because they wanted to maintain 60fps, personally id rather the bells / whistles and aesthetics with rock steady 30fps.

Was going to pick this up on Vita, but will now pass and stick with Blaz Blu and UMVC3 until Streetfighter x Tekken comes out.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Really that bad on Vita? It's prob because they wanted to maintain 60fps, personally id rather the bells / whistles and aesthetics with rock steady 30fps.

Yup, it's visually awful. X-ray attacks are hideous, there are blue and purple things that looked way out of place (yet on the PS3 it's obvious they're veins and such).

Yet uMVC3 looks gorgeous on the Vita at full res, very high quality models and textures at doesn't drop below 60fps.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Might finally get around to buying either a DSi XL or a 3DS to replace my broken DSi. I want to play the new Mario games on the 3DS but I've heard old DS games look terrible on it. If that's the case I'll just go with the DSi XL.

I'm still occupied with Skyrim so I don't really see myself buying anything for the Playstation 3 other than Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

As for PC/MAC, I'll buy the Starcraft 2 expansion if it ever comes out. Nothing else coming out in the next few months even looks interesting to me.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yup, it's visually awful. X-ray attacks are hideous, there are blue and purple things that looked way out of place (yet on the PS3 it's obvious they're veins and such).

Yet uMVC3 looks gorgeous on the Vita at full res, very high quality models and textures at doesn't drop below 60fps.

Eek thats not good :(

Re : UMVC3 - But the backgrounds are static in comparison to console, but hardly deal breaker. Blaz Blue on other hand is stunning on Vita.

Really was looking forward to Mortal Kombat. Might still give it a try if I can find it online for less €30 as I know it'll get €20 trade in at GameStop when Gravity Daze is released.

This month...

I'm buying /pre-ordered

Dragon's Dogma
Starhawk

On PS3

I'm considering Max Payne 3 (but MP2 underwhelmed / bored me).

And I just got Armored Core V on PS3 cheap.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Might finally get around to buying either a DSi XL or a 3DS to replace my broken DSi. I want to play the new Mario games on the 3DS but I've heard old DS games look terrible on it. If that's the case I'll just go with the DSi XL.

DS games look fine, I think there's an option to either play scaled (within ratio and with filtering) or native res on the 3DS' top screen. I play scaled and it looks fine.

The d-pad is miles better on a DSi though.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I havent received my copy as yet but I was playing it on my friends vita and although its not as pretty as the console version(the character models are scaled down but not that noticeable when fighting) its basically the same fast moving fun game and online was butter smooth when I played so I decided to get it.

I've decided to focus on vita games until something that interest me comes out on consoles(I don't see anything this year besides maybe bioshock infinite oh and Max Payne 3 looks great)

Mortal Kombat Vita
Resistance Burning Skies
Silent Hill BOM (i'm a SH freak so yeah)

Hopefully E3 stuns me with some great games for the vita.

Bless

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I havent received my copy as yet but I was playing it on my friends vita and although its not as pretty as the console version(the character models are scaled down but not that noticeable when fighting) its basically the same fast moving fun game and online was butter smooth when I played so I decided to get it.

I've decided to focus on vita games until something that interest me comes out on consoles(I don't see anything this year besides maybe bioshock infinite oh and Max Payne 3 looks great)

Mortal Kombat Vita
Resistance Burning Skies
Silent Hill BOM (i'm a SH freak so yeah)

Hopefully E3 stuns me with some great games for the vita.

Bless

You may already know this but if not keep in mind Silent Hill Book Of Memories is nothing like the normal games in the franchise. It's a top down isometric action type game which is probably best played in co-op mode with up to four players.

Regards Mortal Kombat it's not that bad in my opinion. The character models are not as detailed and are scaled back but the the backgrounds are well done and not static. The game runs at 60FPS and overall looks pretty good for a hand held game. You can't really compare it to Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom or BlazeBlue as they are on the cartoony side graphics wise whilst Mortal Kombat is more of a realistic look.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Bought Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention yesterday.

I was very pleasantly suprised when I found out Vic Mignogna voiced Mao.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Bought Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention yesterday.

I was very pleasantly suprised when I found out Vic Mignogna voiced Mao.

Excuse my ignorance but who is Vic Mignogna?

(I know google is my friend but we're not talking right now. He said things, I said things, he showed me things that I just wasn't prepared for. So we're on relationship hiatus)....

Just bought Crysis 2 Ltd Ed on PC for €9

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
HALO 4 is the game I am most looking forward to this year.

Also so many other great games that I will have to get...
•Black Ops 2 (Just for the continuation of the zombies storyline - I hate COD multiplayer)
•Guild Wars 2
•WoW Mists of Pandaria
•CS: GO
•And probably loads more that I am too tired to remember.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

It's actually not bad! I bought the PS3 tin edition for £7 (when GAME was going bust) and I've played a few hours so far. Don't know how it'd play on the PC as it really does feel like a console game.

I still can't get over how bad MK Vita is though! There isn't much depth to the colours either. I've gone back to UMvC3 which does have that rich, Vita depth. Gaaaah! I'm gonna email Ed Boon.
Have you played a PSP game on a Vita? It's exactly the same as that. Same resolution, colours.
Moving on...

Just ordered a limited edition Pokemon Black DSi to replace my launch DS Lite. As well as Pokemon Soul Silver. I've got a 26 hour flight coming up okay :p.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Excuse my ignorance but who is Vic Mignogna?

(I know google is my friend but we're not talking right now. He said things, I said things, he showed me things that I just wasn't prepared for. So we're on relationship hiatus)....

He does a lot of english anime dubs. A couple of examples are Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist and Spirit Albarn from Soul Eater. Very talented voice actor.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So PS3 purchasing day

StarHawk (awesom3)
Silent Hill Downpour (haven't played yet, just installed. Glad to see it supports 3D though)
Bayonetta (€3.99 brand new. For that price I couldn't resist)
Trinity ~ Souls of Zill O'll (which I had meant to buy ages ago but have Ben holding off till I cold find it cheap, which I did today €14.99.)

And Armored Core V arrived but haven't had chance to play it yet too.

Also bought a new copy of Freeloader USA for my Panasonic Q which the kind folks at Datel helped me out with a they don't normally offer USA copy outside of its US website which doesn't provide shipping to Europe, and euro site doesn't offer US version.

----------

It's actually not bad! I bought the PS3 tin edition for £7 (when GAME was going bust) and I've played a few hours so far. Don't know how it'd play on the PC as it really does feel like a console game.

I use a 360 controller, it plays just like a console game albeit prettier looking than the console version. Im at 1080p running at ultra settings with DX11 tessaltion turned on :)

Still think Crysis is pretty bland story and rather over rated if I'm honest.

----------

Hoping to get Ghost Recon Future Soldier

I loved first Ghost Recon advanced warfighter, espcially multi-player. I won a Ubisoft competition for my skills on multiplayer. Yet I couldn't get into GR2 for some reason.

I'll get Future Soldier but not expecting nothing special tbh.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Finally got around to playing (and beating) Saints Row the Third. Amazing. So crazy, so much fun. Makes me happy.

I have 45 games to trade in, a big arse list that is worth about $130, which isn't much but considering there are xbox OG games and a ton of guitar hero this-or-that in there, should be enough to get my Diablo III and Max Payne 3. Yeeehaw

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So PS3 purchasing day

StarHawk (awesom3)
Silent Hill Downpour (haven't played yet, just installed. Glad to see it supports 3D though)
Bayonetta (€3.99 brand new. For that price I couldn't resist)
Trinity ~ Souls of Zill O'll (which I had meant to buy ages ago but have Ben .

Would love to hear your opinion on Starhawk and Downpour!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Would love to hear your opinion on Starhawk and Downpour!

Starhawk is very polished. Looks great, though requires you to use an overscan feature to fill out the tv display as they've clearly opted for some weird resolution in game. It very smooth, lag free, and the controller mechanics are extremely tight.

My biggest problem with Warhawk was a lack of single player. I much prefer to game solo, ad then breakout with occasional multiplayer, rather than be multiplayer only.

Its just a very well crafted job all round. Anyone into third person shooters, with easily accessible strategy elements will love it.

Just hard to fault a game so well crafted at what it is..

Again however not long into it (couple of hours) so I'm sure things will crop up that may bug me, but so far so good.

Silent Hill Downpour : well to say I was reluctant to pick this up was an understatement. I love silent hill games of the past, but with the rather insipid HD collection recently released with shocking quality on PS3, and rather lacklustre reviews of his title, I had pretty much decided to pass on it.

Hated Silent Hill : homecoming too.

But something still tempted me and finally I gave in and I'm glad to say I rather like it for the most part.

Yes my biggest concern given video gameplay trailers was the combat and that still is the games worst aspect. It's just shockingly bad, and something hard to forgive given modern successes with horror combat such as Alan Wake. Heck even homecoming had better fighting mechanics. For the most part I just try to avoid combat and run away - just to avoid the shoddiness, but sometimes a badly swiping at thin air fight with a monster is inevitable, and it breaks the connection to the Silent Hill world the game otherwise gets right.

That being said I like the one thing this game manages to get right, and that's the atmosphere. The fog is back, the reliance on darkness and tension to create a feeling of being out of control of your own destiny, that your just a puppet in Silent Hills playground.

Now I'm only a couple of hours in, so my opinion could change, repetition could set in and such, but so far so good.

I'm also playing in Stereoscopic 3D. The framerate does take a bit of a knock in 3D but there is no screen tearing or visual sacrifices other than that, and the 3D in the game really does give the game another level of atmosphere. I played briefly without 3D to see the difference and although faster framerate, the screen tearing was pretty evident and the world just didn't elude the same creepiness. If you have access to 3D I'd definitely recommend this game be played in it.

Talking of which, didn't Sony say first party titles going forward would all support 3D and yet there is no support for it in Starhawk ? Strange !

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I want Starhawk, but how the devil do you get it? I see on the PSN shop there is an online pass for sale, but that can't include the game. Is it PS+ exclusive at the moment?

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
I want Starhawk, but how the devil do you get it? I see on the PSN shop there is an online pass for sale, but that can't include the game. Is it PS+ exclusive at the moment?

It's a retail game, no? Your best bet would be to approach your nearest video game store.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a retail game, no? Your best bet would be to approach your nearest video game store.

It is? I always figured it was a download game with some naff PS+ temporary exclusivity!
Next question: why aren't all new games released as downloadable titles too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.