Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BBC reports that Apple's design chief Jonathan Ive was knighted today in Buckingham Palace, with Princess Anne performing the honors. Ive's knighthood was announced in December, but the official ceremony was not held until today.

jonathan_ive_knighted.jpg

Ive's knighthood was accompanied by a rare extensive profile and interview with The Telegraph in which he shares details on his background and philosophy.
"All I've ever wanted to do is design and make; it's what I love doing. It's great if you can find what you love to do. Finding it is one thing but then to be able to practise that and be preoccupied with that is another," he says. "I'm very aware of an incredible tradition in the UK of designing and making, and so to be recognised in this way is really wonderful."
The humble Ive, who notably almost always uses "we" rather than "I" in discussion of Apple's design process, emphasizing the team aspect of the industrial design division's work, also discusses the care that Apple takes in designing every single aspect of each product.
"We're keenly aware that when we develop and make something and bring it to market that it really does speak to a set of values. And what preoccupies us is that sense of care, and what our products will not speak to is a schedule, what our products will not speak to is trying to respond to some corporate or competitive agenda. We're very genuinely designing the best products that we can for people."
Asked which of his designs is most important to him and for which he would like to be remembered most, Ive notes that his team's current projects are "the most important and the best work we've done" but that he of course can't disclose details on that work.

Article Link: Apple Design Chief Jonathan Ive Knighted in Buckingham Palace, Says 'Best Work' is Underway Now

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
Is it just me or does he look like the chubby boy from Willy Wonka in that picture? An older version...

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Is it just me or does he look like the chubby boy from Willy Wonka in that picture? An older version...

At first I thought you were crazy, but the comparison is uncanny!

Anyways, Congrats to Johnny. Well Deserved.

Attachments

• 1748-21386.jpg
    1748-21386.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 8,930

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I find this to be the most interesting quote of the article.

From The Telegraph
"Ive has achieved an awful lot and still has a long career ahead of him. Even so, a knighthood is a good time to take stock. If he was to be remembered for just one of his Apple designs, I ask, which one would he pick?

There is the long pause. “It’s a really tough one. A lot does seem to come back to the fact that what we’re working on now feels like the most important and the best work we’ve done, and so it would be what we’re working on right now, which of course I can’t tell you about.”

Artey

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011

From The Telegraph
"Ive has achieved an awful lot and still has a long career ahead of him. Even so, a knighthood is a good time to take stock. If he was to be remembered for just one of his Apple designs, I ask, which one would he pick?

There is the long pause. “It’s a really tough one. A lot does seem to come back to the fact that what we’re working on now feels like the most important and the best work we’ve done, and so it would be what we’re working on right now, which of course I can’t tell you about.”

Yes that has me very excited too! I can't wait to see what they have in store for us.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
I think it's a good sign that Jonny has put on a few pounds, he's obviously content in life and looks very happy.

Pure 'Apple' dropping in hype inducing answers to questions :D

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Total Respect Sir Jony, nothing like designs you make been enjoyed by millions of people and still has great value:apple:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
Fantastic, truly well deserved! Why was it Anne rather than the Queen?!

There are literally hundreds of honors distributed each year. Some are done by the Queen, but Charles and Anne have both stood in for her on numerous occasions.

Overseas honors can also be presented by the British ambassador to that country under authority from her majesty. The Fonz (Henry Winkler) got his recently that way.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Somewhere Apple's Public Relations and marketing VP's are smiling foolishly right now.

Love the Doesn't the Queen Knight him comment too!!

:apple:

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
From the article:

"Just one person looks twice at Jonathan Ive as we walk through the Apple store in London's Covent Garden and that's a member of staff. The customers are oblivious to the presence of the man responsible for the design of the computers, iPads, iPhones and iPods that they are admiring, tapping and caressing throughout the shop."

If I'd been there my eyes would have popped out to see Jonathan Ive so far from 'home'. I'd have probably embarrassed myself by rushing over to shake his hand and mumble some awkward words of appreciation.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

From The Telegraph

Creative persons will ALWAYS say that what they're working on right at that moment is the best work they've ever done.

----------

Didn't Tim Cook mention that 2012 was going to be a big year?

Did any CEO of any company ever say that the current year was not going to be a big year for the company?

----------

Congrats to Jony.

This. He's doing awesome work and deserves all the credit for it - including this well earned knighthood.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.