Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
What will happen to developers that use Google map tiles in their applications?

Presumably when they update their apps for the new OS, they'll make a minor tweak that tells it to look at whatever the new map API is, and that's it.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Maybe I am missing something but even if Apple has their own "map app" which is a GUI, what's stopping them from continuing to use Google or Mapquest or anyone else to add layers or fill holes using existing or new APIs?

Nothing.
<snip>

I see what you mean, however it may be (and dont quote me on this as I could be 100% wrong) that there is some form of license dictating that Google Maps may, for example only be used as the sole mapping service and cant be used in conjunction with custom map addons. As I said, I could be wrong, but that there seems to be the only logica explanation. Personally I'd stick with Google and basically up the game. Tell them you're adding Bing maps as another maps app, and basically put the rights up for auction, whichever provider offers the better price, gets the maps exclusive, with a conditional contract stating that features X Y and Z must be implemented. It'd be cheaper than getting a whole internal department up to speed and would make sense to use the huge array of data that the 3rd party has.

bawbac

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2012
Seattle, WA
I can't envision a scenario in which Apple unveils anything maps-related that will be more impressive than what Google already offers.
Sure they can.
They can display little apple icons on the map to show where each and every iPhone/iPad that is turned on is located.
Then you can find your way to the nearest Apple device and ask them for directions.

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
You don't think Apple buying up 3rd party map companies is a reaction to Google Maps being ridiculously superior up to this point?

+1

Or Apple will release hardware which when it doesn't work the right way, they blame it on you not holding the phone correctly. Or they send out a survey regarding the impact of their new campus, but leave out any way to give negative feedback. You're right, they don't react, they act and tell you what to do.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
We'll always have maps.google.com available to us on the iPhone. It's obviously not nearly as fluid as the current maps app but I use it sometimes when I can't get the native app to load maps when the mobile site version can no problem.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Google will probably be in part revealing the underlying technology required to support the augmented reality maps in Google Glasses.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
You don't think Apple buying up 3rd party map companies is a reaction to Google Maps being ridiculously superior up to this point?

So if you borrow a tool from your neighbour to use it, don't you think that in a near future would be a good idea to buy your own?
Honestly, there is no suprise whatsoever to it. Not a question of if but when.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
This is a lovely illustration of the uniqueness of Apple as a company: they act, they don't react.

The timing and content of this announcement from Google is undoubtedly a reaction by Google to the promise of Apple's upcoming maps solution, rather than a self-motivated action on their part.

What promise ?

I meant "promise" as in the potential for excellence. But it makes sense even using the other sense of the word, since Apple's Maps revamp is not just a rumor. It's been all but announced in official job postings and in Apple's statement to Congress.

Last edited:

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
So if you borrow a tool from your neighbour to use it, don't you think that in a near future would be a good idea to buy your own?
Honestly, there is no suprise whatsoever to it. Not a question of if but when.

Depends, in this industry, reusing what is already there is sometimes much cheaper and better in the long run. NIH syndrome creates havoc and inferior solutions all the time. Did Apple really need to replace Google maps ? Could the ressources have been better used elsewhere ? Did Google Maps really need replacing ?

There comes a point when "not invented here" is a good thing. Let Google do the development work on the maps back-end, concentrate on User Experience if that is your forte. Cloud backends just aren't what Apple is good at.

----------

I meant "promise" as in the potential of excellence. But it makes sense even using the other sense of the word, since Apple's Maps revamp is not just a rumor. It's been revealed in official job postings and in the statement to Congress.

So where is the big official announcement that Apple is coming out with a maps solution at WWDC ? Really, there is no promise and no reaction. Google is just doing what Google has been doing with maps for quite a few years : working on making them better.

avpallino

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
You feeling ok?

Lets look at this with facts and look at this from an open perspective.

On one side we have Apple, who have little to know experience with maps, and who had to purchase a mapping company to get into the market.

On the other side we have Google, who have been producing maps for over 7 years, and again have been producing, and working on 3d mapping technology for at least 7 years. Google have obviously been playing around with 3d mapping for a hell of a lot longer than Apple, and have a more experienced team working on it.

Sorry, but no matter how much of a Google or Apple fan anyone may be, facts are facts. The statistics say that Google will provide a better service than Apple here.

Lets also look at how it works. The maps are fed by a cloud network. Google obviously have one of these. Apple does not, Apple has a single datacenter (note: A true cloud has servers all over the world, not just in one location). For international users Google Maps will obviously run much, much faster (assuming Apple dont use an existing 3rd party global cloud instead of their own facility). On top of this, Apple's experience with online services isn't exactly good. The entire network regularly experiences massive slowdowns and was even crippled when they launched iCloud with most not being able to access any Apple online services for several hours.

Now, I'm not saying that'll happen, but if they dont start investing serious money into MULTIPLE facilities all over the world, they wont get anywhere.

Am I an Apple 'fan-boy'? No.
Am I a Google 'fan-boy'? No.

I use products by both companies every single day, I have no 'love' or commitment to either, they provide what I need to get my work done, and that's all. If something better came along, I'd use that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acquisitions_by_Google#section_1

Yup. Google bought all that!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Hope Apple's maps won't be less good than Google Maps. I love Google Maps and I think it's amazing, without it I would not be able to to anywhere, pretty much. If Apple won't have Street View, that would in itself be a huge suck. Hope they have everything Google has, plus more, if they want.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks that this might mean the opposite?

It is rumored (but certainly not confirmed) that Apple is moving to its own mapping solution. It was rumored that Apple's new maps would have some form of 3D component to it.

And now Google wants to announce their new "dimension" of maps. Could it be that Google has improved on their own offering, and Apple continues to use it?

I know those 3D screen shots didn't have the Google logo on them... but if they were legit, and in a beta form, maybe the logo was disabled.

Just a thought...

It's an interesting theory, but I don't believe Apple would buy three mapping companies and invest years of development only to let Google announce the result (and make it available for Android users!)

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
The Best Tool is the One at Hand

How can you claim that Google maps has been superior if the Apple Map App has been using Google maps as the backend? I have both on my iPhone and use the Apple app far more often. It opens faster and searching is much more intuitive.

If Apple is going to put their technology behind the mapping data and offer it standard with a phone, then I say that the best tool is the one at hand. I doubt that I will use Google maps any longer to avoid a third party app and I could care less about frivolous features.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I probably sound like an 80 year old in front of an XBOX Kinect, but what is the added value and point of google glasses, and what is it supposed to improve upon? Apache Pilot night vision headsets?
Think Minority Report, well the ad spamming part along with a wireless heads up display of information you can access. Along with a dash of Wikipedia and Star Trek.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
It's pathetic to see Google resort to these well-known Microsoft strategies - preview technology that someone else is about to release for real. I have very little doubt that they'll show "in the lab" concepts with no real ship dates/timelines, etc. Attempt to create the impression of being the leader while in reality just following the leader.

Google truly is the next Microsoft.

...right... because Google wasn't revolutionary in their search capabilities, nor in their desktop maps app, nor in their maps app for the iPhone when it first came out, nor in bringing free email with massive storage to the masses. Google definitely is a follower in this area with no innovation what so ever. What a bunch of phonies!

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I hope so. Unless Apple maps replicate Google's transit routing functionality, I'll be sticking with Google for a long time. Really, I just hope Apple gives us a choice in map providers, but I know that won't happen.

You must be accustomed to waiting a long time at multiple locations, missing trains, and general lateness. The transit section is the absolute worst part of any mapping program.

actionjunky

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2011
Virtual Reality

I probably sound like an 80 year old in front of an XBOX Kinect, but what is the added value and point of google glasses, and what is it supposed to improve upon? Apache Pilot night vision headsets?

One idea support the virtual world. Imagine that you would want to navigate New York City to find the closest Starbucks. Perhaps a ghosted image shows you the direction. Imagine staring at a book in the local bookstore, automatically recognized by the glasses, and displays the online competitive price. The list is endless.

----------

You must be accustomed to waiting a long time at multiple locations, missing trains, and general lateness. The transit section is the absolute worst part of any mapping program.

Obviously, you have not tried the Apple mapping application for some time.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Once Apple releases their own map app, I wonder how many Apple fanatics on this forum will proclaim it's the best thing since sliced bread and will fail to mention that Google was actually the original innovator in this case? Will any of them care to claim (or own up to claiming) that Apple is copying Google?

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012

No, because by that logic, almost every technological innovation could be considered reactive: there were mobile phones before the iPhone, there were word processors before Microsoft Word, there were search engines before Google.

The difference is that Apple focuses on an area that needs rethinking, and then they go about designing the best solution they can come up with.

"Reactive" companies, in the sense I'm describing, see that another company is working on something innovative, and start working on a similar project themselves!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.