Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Well at least they said that next year there will be updates. I suppose it wasn't a waste to save some money for this year, I'll simply wait one more year. My 2008 Mac Pro is still blazingly fast.

dbattle

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Metro Washington DC
Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.

I wanted to vote with my wallet yesterday but they didn't come out with the new Mac Pro.

Got to admit I feel for the people that where hoping for the update on the MacPro with TB etc. Although I could never afford one I was even gutted!

I like the Retina MBP I have to admit, but felt the store has been left a little fragmented. We have a new AEX but no new AEBS to compliment it. Would have snapped a new AEBS up if it had gotten rid of that horrible power brick.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
This is plain stupid, Apple looks like one of those companies that never released a product and would make a mistake like this (unless they didn't think the public would consider this a non-update :confused:)

In my country (Portugal), all the (cough) "updated" Mac Pros are now 200 EUR more expensive, but I've been reading that in the US and other countries it is cheaper?

Can anyone confirm this?

OddyOh

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Regina, SK, Canada
Priorities change. That happens in tech. Desktops aren't as hot as they used to be. Moreover, desktop-workstations really aren't as hot as they used to be.

Vote with your wallet. You've got something inside of a year left to do it.

I had a year left about year ago, but my Mac Pro is too slow now. I tried the Hackintosh route at home, aka "The Lost Weekends"...not worth it, and not suitable for a business, but lots of fun for hobbyists, IMO. It was interesting and I learned a ton, but wouldn't do it again. :eek:

Fortunately, we're only replacing a single Pro Tools workstation right away (for now, but probably 3 more in the next couple years), so one of these "non-new" Mac Pros should work.

Sounds like the line isn't being discontinued for now, but time (and sales figures) will tell.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
The fact that they're saying late 2013 makes me sigh and shake my head.

The fact that *I* don't need one until then makes me lol.

Sorry. Just being honest.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.

I said it there and I'll say it again here, there's no way in hell this is an update, even Apple doesn't consider it one as this story attests to.

You guys are just throwing away any credibility you might have slapping this warmed over turd sandwich with a "buy now".

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Totally agree.

This is a serious request, since Apple now doesn't recognize it as an update, I don't think MacRumors should either.

Bring back the old 600+ day count.
Excellent suggestion.

While on one hand, some of the moves Apple pulls is not funny, I must say I've learned not to take them seriously. It's best to just sit back & laugh at some of these bizarre manipulations. Only Apple thinks they're actually outsmarting their customers.

Yes, there's no question they're at the top and bleeding almost everyone for the latest Apple product, yet a huge number of us do realize we're playing the game just to get the products we want, while Apple chortles at us.

It's just the way it is. :)

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Rather than reposting what I just posted in the feedback thread on the topic of our Buyer's Guide recommendation, I'll just link to it here to explain why we did (and still do) count this as an update.

It can easily be argued that the "new" Mac Pro is a terrible value with outdated specs, but if you are in the market for a Mac Pro and you can't wait many months (maybe a year) for a new update, you might as well buy now.

Your rationale doesn't make sense. If the basis for "Buy Now" is simply that someone is in the market for a Mac Pro, then you could apply that to most any product whose update cycle in unclear. If you want to actually help users, you should replace that with "Best current value: buy used", because that's the truth.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Haha, can we get the buyers guide clock put back to the 600+ day counter instead of starting over with day 1?

Complete with removing the "Buy Now" suggestion.

If the MacRumors Buyer's Guide has any respect at all, they would continue to list "DO NOT BUY" next to the Mac Pros. A good buyer's guide does not suggest, "Buy this because it was recently updated". A good buyer's guide says, "Buy this, because it's actually new and contains value", neither of which apply to these "New" Mac Pros. Paying around $3000 for 2-year-old hardware is against the purpose and spirit of a Buyer's Guide.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
How godam exciting is a redesign? A case doesn't matter. Pros buying care about internals which apple can update anytime. Pros need speed.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
They should just change "New" to "Meh" in the same font so the lulz ensue.

I wish. For one moment that stupid "New" tag caused me to doubt my cynicism and think I was wrong about the Mac Pro. When I clicked the link and read the specs I thought my browser was showing me its cache and I even refreshed everything. Then I came to the realization that the 9 to 5 Mac report was correct and that I was correct.

The new tag was a cruel joke. It might as well have been accompanied with a troll face.

Snypod

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2010
I think they may have got a lot of emails on this subject yesterday... !
I think you're right. They certainly got mine. I sent an email to Tim Cook and gave him (or whoever reads his email) my thoughts on the downturn of their pro hardware and software, as well as the decision to not allow iOS 6 to run on the only two and a half year old iPad 1. Anyone who cares about these things should do the same. Complaining on a blog is fine and all, but it's not as effective as emailing the company directly and voicing your concerns while remaining respectful and concise.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Whoa...

Such a little word, such a big meaning: "NEW"

Apparently Apple agrees: it's not "NEW" enough.

Good.

At least it proves they are paying attention to what people are saying....

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
That's all you'll get from Apple about an upcoming product refresh.

That's my point - that's just another rumor, we got absolutely nothing from apple about the future of this product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.