Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Hi, I have not got an ipod touch but i am thinking to buy if it meets my need.

I have got 1080p mkv moviels files I keep in an external hard drive attached to my internet router which can be accessed via ftp or samba, and a 3rd generation apple tv.

I want to stream mkv files with subtitles srt,sub etc. to my HD LED TV via airplay on ipod touch to apple tv.

Is the processor of ipod touch latest gen enough to do this ?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The movies need to be converted to an ATV3 native format. Handbrake can do this readily.

Then you need to load them onto the iPod. It's probably easier just to let iTunes run with Home sharing enabled and use the touch as a Remote.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
The movies need to be converted to an ATV3 native format. Handbrake can do this readily.

Then you need to load them onto the iPod. It's probably easier just to let iTunes run with Home sharing enabled and use the touch as a Remote.

Converting files taking too much time, too much processor power, and I will have to keep mbp open to watch a movie.

I need a solution to watch mkv with subtitles through airplay.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Converting files taking too much time, too much processor power, and I will have to keep mbp open to watch a movie.

I need a solution to watch mkv with subtitles through airplay.

Unless you convert the files once, or use live conversion on your computer (as with Air Video Server), there's no way to do this. To get what you want, the iPod would have to natively support MKV files and it doesn't. Not likely that it ever will.

Note: there are likely apps for a jailbroken touch that will do this.

UKBeast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2010
Turkey
Unless you convert the files once, or use live conversion on your computer (as with Air Video Server), there's no way to do this. To get what you want, the iPod would have to natively support MKV files and it doesn't. Not likely that it ever will.

Note: there are likely apps for a jailbroken touch that will do this.

So if it is jailbroken is the processor of ipod touch good enough to stream 1080p mkv ?

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
So if it is jailbroken is the processor of ipod touch good enough to stream 1080p mkv ?

I'm not up to date on the Touch, but if it can handle 1080p MP4/M4V files, then it can handle MKV. It's just a different container, they all have h264 video inside.

P2BC

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
Try this

try http://beamer-app.com/

support all common formats and resolutions. You don’t need to convert your videos. AVI, MOV, MKV, MP4, WMV and FLV files will play just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.