Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laff2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
OK campers - we are back to this...Just got my new 2012 Macbook Air 11" i7 256GB SSD/8GB RAM

I knew immediately that the LCD was a bit flat (or less contrast) as well as some blacks appeared more blue. After checking, I found that my new 2012 Macbook Air has a LG screen. I compared it to my Mid-2011 Macbook Air i7 (which has a Samsung LCD) and the 2011 had more contrast, etc.

Not that the LG screens are bad or anything, it is I am just use to the Samsung screen I have in my 2011 and do not want to go through the calibrations. Personal choice, Just like the Samsung better.

You can see what your LCD manufacturer is by doing the following:

Launch the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
Copy and paste the following command onto a single line and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Read the output, you are looking for an “LP” prefix to numbers reported back:
LP133WP1-TJA3
Color LCD

If the prefix is not “LP” then you have a Samsung display and there’s no need to use the color profile or to follow the rest of the instructions, if it does start with LP (like the example shown), then proceed

Last edited:

mauimauer

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
You can fix up color display on your LG display by using a different color profile. Google it.

laff2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2010
I returned mine - the LG is not bad or anything, even with color calibration, I prefer the Samsung panal's contrast.

To each our own...

SLM9555

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2012
I returned mine - the LG is not bad or anything, even with color calibration, I prefer the Samsung panal's contrast.

To each our own...

Damit, I have the LG on my new 13" air. I knew my screen looked a little off compared to my girlfriends 2011 13" air.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You guys are so silly. Even among a single panel brand there will be variation. They take commodity panels and implement them into a final design. This includes additional circuitry, backlight (sometimes edgelight), etc. The profile thing is also a somewhat odd way of addressing this. A profile describes physical hardware behavior. They use generic ones. To a degree you're just lying to the framebuffer to adjust the final behavior:p.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
true but we do what we can to get the better panels.. right?

You guys are so silly. Even among a single panel brand there will be variation. They take commodity panels and implement them into a final design. This includes additional circuitry, backlight (sometimes edgelight), etc. The profile thing is also a somewhat odd way of addressing this. A profile describes physical hardware behavior. They use generic ones. To a degree you're just lying to the framebuffer to adjust the final behavior:p.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
As with my 2011, I have an LG panel and a Samsung SSD. As with my 2011, I'm keeping it. :)

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
I assume it used to be only two panels, but there is a third to which is the one I have in my MBA mid 2011. It is an AUO. So the first two letters not being LP does not necessarily imply it to be a Samsung. I do believe the AUO panel is more rare and I have yet to see it on a 13", but have on a few 11's.

I have no idea though on where the AUO falls in comparison to the other two panels as I haven't compared.

mixman

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
My 2011 Air had the LG and used it without any further color calibration. I had no problems with it in the long run. The biggest shock for me was that there is such high variance in parts for the same model.

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Any problems with uneven backlighting on either the LG or Samsung displays on the 2012 models?

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I have an LG in my 2012 11" Air and I also had one in my 2010 11" Air so I've never tasted the Samsung goodness so don't know what I'm missing and will keep it that way because I did get the Samsung SSD and that thing is benchmarking a lot better than another guy's Toshiba in the other thread on here.

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
maybe the 11" use the LG and the 13" use the Samsungs. I have a 13" and will check tonight which screen I have now that I know how to do it.

mds1256

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
on the same note, I am sure I seem some profiles that people have put together to fix the LG screen as mentioned above, any one know where they are so I can download them and try them out?

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
Last edited:

maplingstorie

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2009
Malaysia
oh no.. i returned my mba 2011 because it has the LG screen. my 2012 would be coming tomorrow. Please God, let me have the Samsung screen. Huge color vibrance difference. They didn't want to take back my mba 2011 because they thought my eyes were retarded. but they believed me after I put the LG next to the Samsung (macbook airs of course). They immediately apologized and refunded me. You can immediately tell the LG ones are washed out. I'm not paying the same amount for a less better screen. And if you think i'm crazy, just put an LG next to a Samsung, I am sure you would get the Samsung. I did a comparison at the apple store where I asked customers to point which is better. All said the Samsung was.

----------

You can fix up color display on your LG display by using a different color profile. Google it.
tried it. hated it even more

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
oh no.. i returned my mba 2011 because it has the LG screen. my 2012 would be coming tomorrow. Please God, let me have the Samsung screen. Huge color vibrance difference. They didn't want to take back my mba 2011 because they thought my eyes were retarded. but they believed me after I put the LG next to the Samsung (macbook airs of course). They immediately apologized and refunded me. You can immediately tell the LG ones are washed out. I'm not paying the same amount for a less better screen. And if you think i'm crazy, just put an LG next to a Samsung, I am sure you would get the Samsung. I did a comparison at the apple store where I asked customers to point which is better. All said the Samsung was.

----------

lol! you are funny guy.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009

----------

I don't know, I have an 11" LG 2012 next to my friends 13" 2012 Samsung and I really don't see much difference at all. Have people confirmed the problem exists still with the new 2012 models?

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida
I have the 13in i7/8gbram/256ssd and checked last night and I have both the Samsung SSD and the Samsung Panel.

Me loving life :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't know, I have an 11" LG 2012 next to my friends 13" 2012 Samsung and I really don't see much difference at all. Have people confirmed the problem exists still with the new 2012 models?

i don't think the issue is as bad as last years models....i would also like to know if there is a confirmed difference between the two

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
I assume it used to be only two panels, but there is a third to which is the one I have in my MBA mid 2011. It is an AUO. So the first two letters not being LP does not necessarily imply it to be a Samsung. I do believe the AUO panel is more rare and I have yet to see it on a 13", but have on a few 11's.

I have no idea though on where the AUO falls in comparison to the other two panels as I haven't compared.

Having the AUO panel too, I'd love this question answered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.