Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcbiz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011
Any problems with uneven backlighting on either the LG or Samsung displays on the 2012 models?

got the LG panel in my new 13inch...my last air had samsung, definitely noticing a difference. When the screen goes completely black, I can notice an uneven distribution of light around the bezel. Colors are definitely a bit washed out, and the difference between brightness levels is more intense (I used to feel comfortable using the screen at about 70 to 80% brightness, but now feel it's too dark to go below 90% in most scenarios...

going to call apple tonight and see what my options are.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
got the LG panel in my new 13inch...my last air had samsung, definitely noticing a difference. When the screen goes completely black, I can notice an uneven distribution of light around the bezel. Colors are definitely a bit washed out, and the difference between brightness levels is more intense (I used to feel comfortable using the screen at about 70 to 80% brightness, but now feel it's too dark to go below 90% in most scenarios...

going to call apple tonight and see what my options are.

the only options are to use a color profile or return and hope to get lucky. If you return in store and buy in store, i suggest setting it up while you are in the store so you can verify the screen before leaving.

darthpotato94

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
From this thread, all the 11" owners except for one got the LG display. One person went into the stores and checked the four 11" models they had on display and three of them had LG displays. It seems that you're likely to get an LG display with the 11", but you could end up with a Samsung. The 13" seems to be more of a "mixed bag."

I have the LG on my 11", and honestly, using the MacRumors ICC profile I'm finding the screen to be quite pleasurable. I didn't previously own an MBA so I can't comment on the differences since I haven't compared to a Samsung screen, but I'm definitely pleased and don't have any desire or intention of exchanging and taking my chances getting something worse (I have the Samsung SSD right now and my MBA is flawless - don't want to risk getting the Toshiba or one with some other imperfection).

I have the 13" with a Samsung display and a Toshiba SSD.

I read that they was a slight difference between the Samsung and Toshiba SSD, however, I don't know if there is any in the 2012 models.

My MBA performs very well except for the system freezes/crashes and 2 kernel panics from using chrome. I don't know if that is a hardware or software issue but is it worth returning and hoping to get a samsung ssd?

slumpey326

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Florida

I read that they was a slight difference between the Samsung and Toshiba SSD, however, I don't know if there is any in the 2012 models.

My MBA performs very well except for the system freezes/crashes and 2 kernel panics from using chrome. I don't know if that is a hardware or software issue but is it worth returning and hoping to get a samsung ssd?

I have both the samsung display and samsung ssd. Everything is great except for the stupid crashes on occasion as a result of Chrome. Please for the love of god can google or apple please fix this. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have both the samsung display and samsung ssd. Everything is great except for the stupid crashes on occasion as a result of Chrome. Please for the love of god can google or apple please fix this. :)

Does Chrome Canary give you the same issues?

Zeni Xeni

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Just received my 13"/i5/8/128 Air today. Short end of both sticks with the Toshiba SSD and LG panel. Contrast is looking better with that custom ICC. I can live with this.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You guys are so silly. Even among a single panel brand there will be variation. They take commodity panels and implement them into a final design. This includes additional circuitry, backlight (sometimes edgelight), etc. The profile thing is also a somewhat odd way of addressing this. A profile describes physical hardware behavior. They use generic ones. To a degree you're just lying to the framebuffer to adjust the final behavior:p.

Please don't pollute this good, old Macrumors paranoia thread with your facts, logic and sense.

mcbiz

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2011

you are not alone with the chrome kernel panic, experienced it for the first time today. :(

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Please don't pollute this good, old Macrumors paranoia thread with your facts, logic and sense.

You know.. I stole one of your lines as it was possibly the only amusing car reference ever posted on here. It involved the scenario of buying a set of pirelli tires from a porsche dealer rather than a tire shop.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
You know.. I stole one of your lines as it was possibly the only amusing car reference ever posted on here. It involved the scenario of buying a set of pirelli tires from a porsche dealer rather than a tire shop.

That's ok - the first couple are free, until you're hooked.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
On another forum here in Korea, MBA users actually prefer the LG display over Samsung...so the gold combo is LG LCD, Samsung SSD.

iKnowMr.Jobs

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2010
How about that, my BTO 13 inch (8gb ram) has a samsung display. I could sorta tell the second the desktop launched the first time.:)

alias99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
Sorry, the link is broken. I went ahead and zipped it up.

1. I was regretting reading this thread whilst waiting for a new 2012 13 MBA because I don't know what ill get

2. I have had a 2010 MBA for a while and always thought the display seemed odd but didn't take to much notice and got used to it.

3. I just found out I have an LG screen.

4. Used your profile and was shocked at the difference! Wish I found it 2 years ago! Will be using this on my new machine incase of another LG screen. Thanks!

Mac-86

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
I got a 2011 11" 1.6 i5/128GB(Toshiba)/4GB with Samsung panel and a 2012 11" 2.0 i7/256GB(Samsung)/8GB with LG. I can totally tell the differences right from initial boot. The one with LG is flat out white/bright and the color is less crisps as compared to the one with samsung.

I picked up the ready stock 2012 11" model at apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.