Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Anyone pick up the new macbook pro with the retina display. I was just wondering with the redesigned fan system they talked about is actually much quieter?

Thanks

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Anyone pick up the new macbook pro with the retina display. I was just wondering with the redesigned fan system they talked about is actually much quieter?

Thanks

I hardly hear any noise out of it. The only time I do is when I am really working the CPU and GPU with a game or something, the fans kick on then. Not loud though, just noticeable.

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
It's a good bit quieter than my previous 2010 MacBook Pro. When the fans aren't working hard you can't hear them and when they are working the noise level is low.

bryanl

macrumors member
May 11, 2008
I'd say it is a bit quieter. The fans are noticeable when they get up and going. It sounds like a tiny jet rather than a jumbo jet now.

hypertc13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
thats good to hear, my old macbook pro (late 2006) got pretty loud when the fans needed to kick into high gear. I am now on a 2011 macbook air. I love this laptop but i do miss the screen real estate from time to time and storage space. I will use my old mbp occasionally and it just feels extremely heavy now after using the air for a while. Maybe the new macbook pro would be a happy medium.

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
If you are doing something graphically intensive, then it gets fairly loud. I've actually only experienced this on Bootcamp while playing a game.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
For the majority of my tasks I don't hear a thing. I couldn't tell you if they were on or off (though I think the idle is 2000rpm). With more complex loads, you'll notice them as with all other laptops, though they are not as loud. So, overall I'd say it's a pretty significant improvement in terms of audibility.

Also worth noting along these lines, the temperature improvement is pretty much identical to the noise one. Under normal loads the laptop remains cool (room temperature) and you don't notice much if any change in the enclosure's temperature. Yes that's not as cool as glass or the aluminium before you start running the machine, but I wouldn't even describe it as "warm". Only when you start ramping up the CPU and GPU does it start getting "warm", all the way to "hot". When it's hot though, you really feel the hot air coming out of all the vents.

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
For the majority of my tasks I don't hear a thing. I couldn't tell you if they were on or off (though I think the idle is 2000rpm). With more complex loads, you'll notice them as with all other laptops, though they are not as loud. So, overall I'd say it's a pretty significant improvement in terms of audibility.

Also worth noting along these lines, the temperature improvement is pretty much identical to the noise one. Under normal loads the laptop remains cool (room temperature) and you don't notice much if any change in the enclosure's temperature. Yes that's not as cool as glass or the aluminium before you start running the machine, but I wouldn't even describe it as "warm". Only when you start ramping up the CPU and GPU does it start getting "warm", all the way to "hot". When it's hot though, you really feel the hot air coming out of all the vents.

I notice the fans around 3,300-3,600 rpm.

tusctodd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009

Thanks

The fans are noticeably quieter at 6,000 rpm vs my 2011 mbp.

Yuke

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012

Thanks

In normal usage, I haven't heard them at all. Starcraft II got them going, though. =)

Definitely more "whoosh" than "whirr", if that makes sense. Much less noticeable than my 2011 Air, but you definitely know when they're working hard.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
It's a good bit quieter than my previous 2010 MacBook Pro. When the fans aren't working hard you can't hear them and when they are working the noise level is low.

This.
My 2010 MBP fan loud when watching movies it always came on. Not on this one. :D

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Is the retina with 2 fans quieter then for example the macbook pro 2012 with 1 fan?

the (15") 2012 has 2 fans.. just like the 2011 and earlier models.

The retina fans are audibly loud.. but the primary difference to my ears is that I don't hear any mechanical noise or whining when they spin up. I hear air flowing through the case.. which is an inevitable noise when you have a small enclosure and fans that actually move air.

my early 2011 model was much louder sounding due to the high pitched whine that the fans had when they were spinning at full blast. The retina macbook pro's fans are a bit quieter, but mainly they don't have the annoying whine that drove me nuts on my 2011.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Reviewers have stated its a bit quieter but not silent. I'll go along with that assessment. Its not completely silent but it is quieter then my prior model

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.