Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nerio27

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

I just got off the phone with Apple. They were very understanding.
They have already arranged a replacement to be shipped with High priority. I'm told I will have it by the end of this week latest.

They will also arrange for a courier to pick up my old MacBook and said that I could choose when to send the old one back. So I can make sure I'm not without a Mac at any time.

I also asked her what would happen if the replacement Mac had any defects. She said that am entitled to a Perfect mac and if they will replace any defective mac no matter how many times it takes.

Lets just hope the next one is perfect out of the box!

Where do you live? I'm just wondering if them having a courier come pick it up after you receive the replacement is something based on your location. I just received a mba with a defect on the keyboard, and when I called to ask for a replacement, they said I had to send it in first, have them look at it, then get a replacement sent back to me. I really don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks for the replacement, especially 2 weeks without having one at all.

skuid87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Where do you live? I'm just wondering if them having a courier come pick it up after you receive the replacement is something based on your location. I just received a mba with a defect on the keyboard, and when I called to ask for a replacement, they said I had to send it in first, have them look at it, then get a replacement sent back to me. I really don't want to have to wait another 2 weeks for the replacement, especially 2 weeks without having one at all.

I live in London. They didn't seem to have any problems with this at all.

Nerio27

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
I guess that is different that the US. They would always make you send the old one back first or take it to a store

Yeah, I was a little annoyed to have to wait for them to receive the old one first, and I said something along the lines of "it kind of sucks to have to wait even longer for it". I think they're instructed to be more flexible with people that seem unhappy, because after that I was offered a free accessory (<$75) with my replacement, and she said that I just needed to call her after I dropped it off with FedEx and they'll release the hold on the new one to get it here faster.

A few hours later, a manager called me, and she offered to send someone to pick it up. I have a FedEx a mile away so I just wanted to do that, but I was still waiting on the prepaid label. She sent me one right on the spot so I could drop it off with a few minutes to spare before they closed drop offs for the day.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
This happened to me exactly. Dent on a custom configured MBA. Got the LG screen, don't really care about the HDD. Anyway I guess I'll also do an exchange just because I know something like this will drive me crazy. Plus I may even get the Samsung screen next time around.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
:(

After waiting anxiously for my new 2012 MacBook Air and tracking the shipment everyday, it finally arrived. I was so excited, took it right to my room and proceeded to carefully unbox my lovely new machine.

I take it out of the box, gently take off the plastic, and lift the screen with one finger. I then switched it on, as my finger lifted after pressing the power button, i saw it. A tiny dent, in my brand new, freshly built from the factory MacBook, that I've just paid over £1000 for! I'm SO disappointed.

Now, it really is tiny, but the fact is that I've paid for a Premium product. It should be perfect. Most people probably wouldn't care but it really does bother me. I've been looking forward to getting a MBA for a long time and I don't think I should have to make do with ANY faults, not matter how small.

I'm going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow, but I'm worried about what they'll say. What if they blame me for it? How do I prove that it was like this out the box? Anyone else here had a similar problem? How did Apple deal with you?

Here's a picture, you can see the dent just above the thunderbolt port:

Dude you're fine! My power button broke on my iPhone, I also had a similar small extremely tiny dent on my iPhone 5 an returned it. The salesman wanted a restocking fee an I said hell no it's not my problem it's yours I pay quality money for products like these, they should come out to nearly perfect looking products. Just ask for a switch, apple will do it in a heartbeat to make any customer happy. If I were you I would definitely switch it out. That dent there is like 50$ down in value, definitely switch it out, YOLO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.