Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Well this make sense as far as building up the iCloud brand. Hope they keep the option for new people to get @me.com addresses because it is such a short one to type out.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
.me is dorky
.icloud is worse

wtf Apple, you nailed it with .Mac. . .guess that doesn't fit with the new iOS corporate focus. . .

Well, @yahoo.com is stupid
@hotmail sounds cheap
@gmail is just as dorky as @icloud except with a "g" synonymous with google as "i" is synonymous with apple

It's just an email domain name. Is just a name.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Three years from now, it will be your_name@icloud.apple (when the new top-level domains start to gain in popularity)

Then 3 years after that. it will change to your_name@facehole.apple when they introduce the new Apple FaceHole service.

You might think it sounds like a bad name, but people said that about the iPad, too. Remember all of the tampon jokes? At some point, those jokes will eat themselves...because Apple will actually introduce a new line of feminine products to work with FaceHole.

job2

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
I guess the same apply this time as well.

I let my .Mac member expire. Can I get the same name @me.com?
Names for MobileMe are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you were an active .Mac member as of July 9, 2008 then your member name is also yours for @me.com.

How do I reclaim my old member name for MobileMe?
Names that have not been used for a certain amount of time may have been recycled. Try logging in with your old member name and password. If that works, you can reactivate your account to reclaim your name. If it doesn’t, try signing up for a new MobileMe account with your former name. If that doesn't work, that recycled name may have been taken by a new MobileMe member. You will need to choose a different name for your new MobileMe account.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I still want to be able to send outgoing emails with my own custom alias, like you can on Gmail?

gbnz

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
Considering I paid plenty of $$$ for many years to keep my .mac by subscribing to .mac and MobileMe services (even after .mac was initially free) ... i'd be really bumped if apple scrap them in favor of iCloud.

Fingers crossed Apple finally merge emails :)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it. :D

Rocketman

mmcook

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2011
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

@iCloud makes sense, and people already know what it is.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.

I agree with this completely. I love the simplicity of @me.com, but I get a lot of strange looks when I use it (or similar confusion when using it over the phone). I seem to be in the minority of people who would like the move to @icloud.com. Plus, our main account is a family account, so it's familyname@me.com (which just sounds weird to me).

Anyway, just my 2cents. But put me on the list of people who want to see an Apple ID merge!!! That is my biggest pain point with Apple at the moment. They will let me use any e-mail I want as my Apple ID.. except an Apple e-mail. Even if you have no purchase history with an @me account, you still can't merge it.

caseyh

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know about everyone else, but I want to figure out how to transition my me.com to an icloud.com email address (non-developer).

For me, me.com sounds a bit selfish, but icloud.com sounds like (oh, you like Apple) - at least it is much closer to the old mac.com email which I can't get to anymore. :(

I'd like to be able to register or reserve an address @icloud.com, too, but I'm not a developer. I just want to "claim" the address I want more than anything. Anybody know of a way to do it?

rsands1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
Their email sucks…ever since they left .Mac

As far as I'm concerned I'm leaving apple and their stupid email behind. I am sorry but they have given me nothing but trouble ever since they started their stupid move from .Mac to .Me and now .Me to .iCloud. My email is a .Mac and I've had it ever since they first started offering their paid service and it's only been crippled over time. I can't send and receive half the time, my settings don't work across all my devices, they turned off support for older email programs and older operating systems. I can't sync half the time with my email…it NEVER works! I'm going the route of gmail or getting my own email address at my own website. Apple you seriously screwed over your paying email customers and left us to fend for ourselves while your idiot techies behind the scenes did nothing to fix this issue.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Great so now I have @mac, @me, AND @icloud ?

Seriously? Apple you're killing me with this Apple ID confusion. Its great that these all work, but there is no consistency....the app store shows my @mac, my email is @me, home sharing usually shows @mac but not on all devices.

It's really dumb. Now they've added yet another one. I swear, if I log in with my @mac or my @me and i see it change to @icloud, I'm going freak the f out.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't like iCloud.com since when you tell someone who isn't apple savy they would write eyecloud.com or something of that nature.

rsands1

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2010
Great so now I have @mac, @me, AND @icloud ?

Seriously? Apple you're killing me with this Apple ID confusion. Its great that these all work, but there is no consistency....the app store shows my @mac, my email is @me, home sharing usually shows @mac but not on all devices.

It's really dumb. Now they've added yet another one. I swear, if I log in with my @mac or my @me and i see it change to @icloud, I'm going freak the f out.

Dude I totally agree with you..their system is a joke as far as all this is concerned. It's beyond confusing! My emails are all over the place on all my devices too with this .Mac, .Me and iCloud crap.

job2

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2010
I don't like iCloud.com since when you tell someone who isn't apple savy they would write eyecloud.com or something of that nature.

Yep, and telling someone you have a Gmail address might lead to a non-Google savvy person thinking the spelling is geemail, or jmail, or maybe jimail?

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Wont touch that with a barge pole! Would never trust Apple with my email. For all I know they will 'discontinue' it in a year and I loose my account.

I'll stick with Gmail thanks.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
Woot!

I will have a

@mac.com
@me.com

and now

@icloud.com

Why not just give up and give everyone @apple.com addresses?

marshallld

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it. :D

Rocketman

Well that was exactly what the @mac.com was originally advertised as with the free iTool i.e. and email address you could keep forever.

The one annoying thing has been when I reply to an email from my iPhone, I use @mac.com as my personal email address, the reply to address become @me.com. No biggy since they both come to the same email inbox. If there is a way to change that it has been enough of a bother to me to look into it

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
What a mess!

1. me.com is cleaner than icloud.com.
2. First a transition to me.com from mac.com. Too many transitions.
3. Will they consolidate Apple IDs finally!!

I have had a mac.com email address since iTools since around 2000/2001 when it was first introduced. So when the iTunes store initially launched my mac.com address was my Apple ID. With the move to MobileMe, that became my primary email but mac.com was still my Apple ID. Now with iCloud, I still have both but mac.com is my Apple ID and the only thing I use that for.

If it becomes icloud.com then make that my Apple ID and transition all my purchase history to it. And be done with the transitions!!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yep, and telling someone you have a Gmail address might lead to a non-Google savvy person thinking the spelling is geemail, or jmail, or maybe jimail?

1) Actually it HAS happened w/ my gmail account so I don't know why it surprises you. That's how I though of the issue here actually.
2) Gmail has way more users than "iCloud.com" so more people know of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.