Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
the only thing worse than this.....

.... will be reading ATT's excuse as to why they are doing it.

Deplorable. I pay for unlimited data. I rarely hit 2 gigs. Not a chance they will dime me for facetime, as it is not their feature.

They would dime you for FaceTime while Skype, Oovoo and others are free? What the heck is going on? It's time for the DoJ to step in and put give them what they deserve!

Also, WTH is Apple allowing this? Screw AT&T and give the chance to another carrier who's not a greedy bastard.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
AT&T is cRaZy

So I can Skype, Fring, uStream and who knows what else, but I can't FaceTime? We pay for our data. Who cares what they want?

Is this one of those things that can get me out of my contract?

Gary :)

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Hey that's my picture up there ;)

Also, I've been a defendant of AT&T for a while but this is just too much. It's one thing to charge for hotspot (connecting an external device to use the iPhone data makes a bit of sense) but to use a built in functionality ON THE PHONE ITSELF and have to pay extra for it is very un-Apple like. And bonehead. Carriers are evil!

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Honestly I kind of LIKE having this broken out so I have the chance to not pay for it.
You honestly think AT&T will give you some sort of discount if you are an iPhone user and don't use Facetime on their network? You will continue paying the same amount...what's not to like!?

Bottom line is this isn't AT&T's feature. To charge for it is borderline illegal.

Now if they said "you can disable Facetime over 3/4G and receive a $5 discount" that would be more palatable. To simply charge an above and beyond fee for Apple's feature is seriously shady.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I'm in Canada so I do not have AT&T but if this is true all I can say is "go **** yourself AT&T."

- From your friendly neighbors up north.

Spicedham

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
It's screwed up how these companies try to keep customers from using the full amount of data they paid for. If we paid for something we should be able to use it how we want. If we go over we'll pay the charges. Simple as that.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Seeing as this is a core function of iOS, why are Apple letting carriers interfere in such a way?

Doesn't make sense.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Honestly I kind of LIKE having this broken out so I have the chance to not pay for it.

The fact that Verizon now makes you pay for unlimited voice and texts no matter what you want makes them a non-starter for me. I kind of like the idea of a carrier that lets me not pay for certain things. (And this certainly is one of those things that I wouldn't pay for.)

What it is that you smoke so I stay away from it??? :eek:

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
I'm leaving Att for Verizon data family share and LTE when the new iPhone comes out so it won't phase me. I am done with them, Verizon is even including tethering.

MacUser4_20

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2004
California
I posted the same thing on the 9to5 forums; as soon as they posted that story, I attempted to make FaceTime calls with my iPhone that was updated to beta 3 today. I had no issues placing and receiving 4 separate FaceTime calls over 4G this evening. Maybe it's just my phone, I don't know. But it worked fine for me.

Works fine for me too.. Maybe unlimited data plans are exempt from this?

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I wish this was more of a shock to me, but it's just business as usual on AT&T.

My contract is up this year and I'm switching to Verizon. This alone isn't enough to get me to switch, but I've dealt with terrible service in NYC on AT&T for the past 4 years and I've had enough.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Works fine for me too.. Maybe unlimited data plans are exempt from this?

I would think those would be targeted first. I have a 5 gig plan I pay $50 for. Tell me again why I can't use 5 gigs of Facetime data?

I'll hang up and take the answer on-air.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
It's crazy that I pay AT&T for tethering for my iPhone and I could in theory use FaceTime on my laptop tethered to my iPhone, but I can't use FaceTime on the iPhone itself (edit: I meant over the cellular connection). If this is still the situation when iOS 6 arrives, that'll be silly.

Last edited:

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
One more reason to ditch AT&T. I planned to leave when the 4S came out, but I stayed with them solely for my grandfathered unlimited data, which I now regret. I will pay the reduced ETF & jump ship this fall or after the first of the year.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.