Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

182115-Safari_Icon_125.jpg

Alongside OS X Mountain Lion 10.8, Apple has released the updated version of Safari to OS X Lion (10.7). It is available in OS X Lion's Software Update. According to Apple, the new Safari contains new features, including:

- Smart Search Field. Safari now has one field for typing both searches and web addresses.
- Offline Reading List. Safari saves entire webpages in your Reading List so you can catch up on your reading even when you don't have an internet connection.
- Do Not Track. Safari can send the websites you visit a request not to track you online.
- Password pane. Manage your saved website logins with the new Password pane.
- Baidu. The leading Chinese search engine Baidu is now a built-in option for Chinese users.
For more information about Safari, please visit: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5275

Safari 6 for OS X Lion also includes improvements to stability, compatibility, usability and security, including changes that:

- Make the swipe to navigate gesture work with PDFs.
- Restore the state of Reading List when Safari is launched.
- Fix an issue that affected full screen video in webpages that have positioned content.
- Restore the user's previous cookies after Private Browsing without requiring a Safari relaunch.

Article Link: Apple Releases Safari 6 Update for OS X Lion

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
I noticed there's an iWork update, too, and it makes all of them compatible w/ iCloud once Mountain Lion is installed. That's really good news; no need to pay for an upgrade to that suite.

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
Is it just me or does the Reader button look uncomfortable now?
Also, Safari feels much snappier! ;)

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Okay this meme is just getting old now. Can we actually discuss the changes in Safari 6?

On a side note, does anyone think that the prevalence of the number 6 in recent products (iOS6, Safari 6) implies that the 6th generation iPhone will be called the iPhone 6?

jake0112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Oh wow, over 2 gigs of updates. Looking forward to one search field in safari - long overdue in my opinion.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I've opened part of a page in Dashboard, but it won't go away. Guess I'm safari 6 challenged. :D

Edit: never mind, just figured this one out. It's just like any other widget. Duh... :)

Last edited:

beltzak

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2006
So no Safari 6 for Snow Leopard

Yeah great support for Snow Leopard Indeed.

A happy happy Mac Pro 1.1 user. Have fun with Apple.

Edgecrusherr

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2006
I was hoping, though not expecting, that Snow Leopard would at least get Safari 6 as its last version...guess not.

Good thing playing around with Chromium last week. Looks like it's my SL browser of choice.

Sorry Apple, Lion/Mt Lion doesn't cut it in my production environment! (Print company).

G2244

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
It appears there is a Windows version possibly? On my work Windows machine when I run apple software update it says new software is available but shows nothing in the list to select.

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I'm a bit nervous about the smart search, because I type my URLs without http and I wonder if it will start searching for the URLs instead of going directly to them, and vice-versa :confused:

I haven't got Lion to test it, anyone can give some thoughts on their experience on the unified address/search?

jrichard012

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2007
My download went through immediately. When I go to install, it says my hard disk is used for time machine backups. After disabling TM, and doing a restart, I get the same message when I go to the screen where you select where to install.

blackboxxx

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
And nobody noticed that Apple just quietly killed Safari for Windows? Good riddance.

That leaves iTunes as the last remaining Apple software for Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.