Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orfeas0

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2010
Athens, Greece
Does airplay only allow mirroring?
Can't you use a 2nd screen wirelessly as an expansion of your screen instead of mirroring?

Also, the new tab view of safari seems awesome ;) But apple keeps adding new multi-touch gestures and I wonder if they will work well together...

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Still not able to stop Message alerts to the phone when using the app in Mountain Lion? :-/

----------

Amazing MacBook Air they must be using. Check out the magic trackpad action at 2m44s into the video . . .

What are you talking about? that's how it works, you start from the right of the track pad and swipe left.

tomyboy96

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Facebook Integration Isn’t Coming In Mountain Lion Until Fall

for everybody that is wondering about the Facebook Integration :)

http://www.cultofmac.com/180818/rem...tion-isnt-coming-in-mountain-lion-until-fall/

----------

I am having the same experience. I noticed in the video that the Facebook option was right there with Twitter, Gmail etc., but on my machine I don't see a Facebook option. Everything else appears to be there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/180818/rem...tion-isnt-coming-in-mountain-lion-until-fall/

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The launch, however, has resulted in the removal of OS X Lion from the Mac App Store. While this isn't too big a surprise, it could leave some owners of older Macs stuck if their Mac isn't supported by OS X Mountain Lion but were supported by OS X Lion.

How was it not a surprise? How would mac users expect that it would be pulled, particularly since ML doesn't run on some machines?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
How was it not a surprise? How would mac users expect that it would be pulled, particularly since ML doesn't run on some machines?

It's not a surprise because Apple has discontinued every previous version of OS X once a new one has been released. The only exception that I'm aware of was 10.6, as it was a prerequisite for 10.7.

Jperkinski

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2008
Is display mirroring not available on all machines?
I have an iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and I can't seem to get it to Airplay/mirror to either of my Apple TV's.

My iPad does this without problems.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
Just finished installing on my iMac; have dropped the installer on an SD card and am now installing on my laptop.

Seems nice so far; it's quicker and feels very smooth and solid. Fantastic for the price :)

However, bit surprised by the lack of support for Airplay mirroring for a Mid-2010 iMac! :(

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
It's not a surprise because Apple has discontinued every previous version of OS X once a new one has been released. The only exception that I'm aware of was 10.6, as it was a prerequisite for 10.7.

Not true. Earlier versions may have been harder to find but they were still available from Apple.

invalidpath

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
One big hiccup for a lot of folks I know is installing the cmd line tools without a pay developer account. Apple was nice enough to provide me with a link to the dmg, however I had to install it manually from terminal (individual package files) since the package itself looks for 10.7 only and won't install on 10.8. You could also make symbolic links to the versions of the tools within XCode.app itself, but this is much easier. Here's what I got from the Apple Dev Center:

Re: Xcode

Hello XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to speak to me regarding the Xcode issue you are experiencing.

I can confirm that there is an error when attempting to download Command Line Tools for OS X 10.8 through Xcode. For now, the work-around is to go to the download site and download it from there. The URL is below:

https://developer.apple.com/downloads/index.action?name=Xcode

I apologize for the issues you experienced.

Best regards,

Eduardo
Apple Developer Program Support

Hope this helps some folks.....

ayala421

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2010
Wallpapers?

mountain lion didn't install any new wallpapers for me...anyone else this happen?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Not true. Earlier versions may have been harder to find but they were still available from Apple.

I believe that you had to call Apple and explicitly ask for them; they weren't listed on the site. Presumably it's the same for 10.7 now.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Why do you say so? I'm on the fence about upgrading. I have a early 2009 MBP machine with 2GB RAM and I loved SL every single time i used it.

my system almost died (slow and often beach ball) after I upgraded to Lion, so much so that I use Windows 7 pretty much all the time. I'm hoping that ML will bring me back to MAC OS which I loved but scared that it might not give me any improvement in stability or speed over Lion.

I would at least upgrade RAM to 4GB. 2GB should only be used with Tiger or Leopard. Mountain Lion is superior to Lion hands down. There is simply no debating that.

If you can't upgrade your RAM then i suggest downgrading to Snow Leopard for a better experience.

After using 10.8 for 2 weeks, I have to say, glad I didn't pay $19.99.

$20 is that difficult to cough up and justify to you for an OS upgrade? *shakes head*

tonydickinson

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Singapore.
Mountain Lion.

Wow - thanks Apple what a big difference, so much faster than Lion, quick to download and install, took all of 40 minutes from start to finish.

Its slick and is what Lion should have been 12 months ago.

Happy Happy Happy.

28Gauge

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2011
DFW
mountain lion didn't install any new wallpapers for me...anyone else this happen?

No new ones for me. I figured that they would add a Mountain Lion wallpaper. The old Lion wallpaper is still there. I am upset that my Fliqlo clock screensaver doesn't work anymore.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The removal of Lion makes no sense. People who want it should torrent it?

It's dumb I'll give you that, but I can't see any reason not to upgrade unless there really is some bit of stoneage software that can't run on your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.