Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
I ordered the iCarbons Black Carbon Fiber on Sunday and received it today. Before I ordered it, I tried to find some pictures of it installed on the retina MBP, but couldn't find anything other than the stock photos.

I was skeptical because I couldn't see it on an actual rMBP, but I am glad that I bought it! I really love the look and feel it gives to MBP. The original aluminum was great, but I was afraid of scratching it, but with this I should have no problem.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

The install was rather straight forward, but it took me about 45 minutes because I am OCD about my electronics lol.

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
Looks good! Does it require heat to apply? I think that one does? Also, how is the trackpad affected with that covering?

The "Dude"

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
I'll be ordering mine as well this week. I think I'll opt to forego putting it on the trackpad and  logo though.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Looks good! Does it require heat to apply? I think that one does? Also, how is the trackpad affected with that covering?

It required a little bit of heat on the bottom for the edges. Took like 10 seconds with a blow dryer.

The trackpad is completely unaffected. I didn't put the carbon on the apple because it want it to glow lol. It came with a red and white cover for the apple.

NightCastle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
It required a little bit of heat on the bottom for the edges. Took like 10 seconds with a blow dryer.

The trackpad is completely unaffected. I didn't put the carbon on the apple because it want it to glow lol. It came with a red and white cover for the apple.

Wouldn't this hold in heat? As in when the CPU and/or GPU get hot the heat dissipation is reduced.

asdad123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Wouldn't this hold in heat? As in when the CPU and/or GPU get hot the heat dissipation is reduced.

I don't think so as none of the vents are covered up. I will test it out by running Skyrim in a little bit.

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I don't think so as none of the vents are covered up. I will test it out by running Skyrim in a little bit.

I too was interested in whether or not this would have your mpbr run a little hotter. I was interested in getting the red CF just for the bottom to prevent scratches. However, i was told that this may cause your mbpr to run a little hotter. Looking forward to your test!

swamyg1

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2007
I'm also interest in this product for my rMBP, thai king about ordering it in white or brushed aluminum though!

draughn101

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
On the heat issue, I just added a Wrapsol film to my rMBP and my temps have been the same if not lower (Tested in Windows 8, playing BF3).

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
heat issue?

Hi, just wondering if you ever did the heat test and if you could possibly post screen shots? thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.