Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Buduls, if you're ever in MA, I owe you a frosty beverage!

Has anyone passed this on to the Bjango folks? I know they've said they have no plans to update the widget, but I can't imagine they'd be opposed to adding a total of four spaces...

I replied to some people on Twitter and included Bjango....they haven't commented back.

That and someone offered money and it seems they still won't update it:
https://twitter.com/bjango/statuses/228807155682258944

-Kevin

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm using it too, it still does the essentials, so I'm not looking for a replacement, although the battery health section is mis-reporting my MBA's health, it still monitors fans, heat etc. so worth keeping. It didn't appear on the incompatible list when I installed ML, but quite a few third party Apps did have to go...Onyx, which is a utility I like is still in BETA for ML (2.3.3) so I'll wait until they get it right...It's not an app you want to use in BETA unless you have a dedicated machine to test on...Those days are gone for me now!

onyx is fine here...did a full run with it, some parameter adjustments..

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Fix for the double bars in Tall format

Ok, so after taking a look....it seems that for some reason, the background images used in the Tall bars for showing disk usage where positioned starting in the center, and wrapping around. This is what was causing the bars to look like they were doubled.

No idea why it started happening, but here's a solution to the CSS file to fix it. Not sure if some ML update will change this in the future, so use at your own risk. I'll repeat Budlus's instructions for finding the file:

1. Locate your widget, it will be under /Library/Widgets or ~/Library/Widgets
2. Right click it and select: "Show Package Contents"
3. Open core.css in some editor

4. Locate the block (for me it's starting on line 7) and add the following line in RED.

Code:
.verticalbarbg {
	background-image:url(./images/common/bar_vertical_bg.png);
	width:8px;
	overflow:hidden;
        [B][COLOR="Red"]background-position: -4px 0;[/COLOR][/B]
}

5. Directly under this block, ADD the following CSS statement:

Code:
[B].verticalbar {
	background-position: -4px 0;
}[/B]

By adding this statement to the core.css file, it will affect all colors for the widget.

6. You can either remove and re-add the widget, or just kill the Dock and restart Dashboard by going to terminal and entering: killall Dock

----------------------

-Kevin

hkoster1

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
The Netherlands
Also works for iStat nano

Just for those who haven't figured it out yet, the BUDULS recipe also works for iStat nano, the file to be edited is now called workers.js.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Have anyone considered Istat from the MAS as a replacement?

It should be more accurate. Also how much ram does Istat Pro use?

I love istat pro but I am considering doeing a switch to the app on ML.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Have anyone considered Istat from the MAS as a replacement?

It should be more accurate. Also how much ram does Istat Pro use?

I love istat pro but I am considering doeing a switch to the app on ML.

I think most of us in this thread want to use iStat Pro as a dashboard widget....not an app or a menubar utility.

As a dashboard widget....resource usage is low and I believe it only updates when the dashboard is active.....when I load dashboard....I can see it take a second to update numbers.

I love it as a widget....it's out of the way.

I tried iStat Menus. Nice app. Nice that you can collapse into a single menubar item. Still, I don't need all that.

I use the widget to glance at stats.....glance at my temps, or processes, or network traffic. I don't really care about the stats....just need to glance and see at certain times.

-Kevin

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
Me too. But I have been tempted to see if I could live with the app...

Thanks for the tips in this thread btw! Nice to know that I can still keep istat pro in ML.

Strange that no one has made an alternative to the widget now that development has ceased...

Teo Morabito

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
Bali
It's easy to fix iStat Pro processes for Mountain Lion

Steps:

3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

Change "PID|$1" to "PID| $1" (Add space before $ sign)

5. Save the changes

6. remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed

You are a Hero ! hahaha

Performat

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2011

Steps:

3. Open Wide.js or Tall.js file in some editor (Wide is for horizontal view, Tall for vertical)

4. Locate the line

5. Save the changes

6. remove widget and re-add it Dashboard, and it should be fixed

Awesome! Thank you from France! And we will finally beat you at the Games...:p

faricazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Anyone else getting weird drive space readings?

Finder shows 118 GB available, iStat shows 79 GB.

Running 4.92. Tried reinstalling, deleting the pref files, with and without the mods to make it work better on 10.8, nothing seems to fix the drive space issue.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Anyone else getting weird drive space readings?

Finder shows 118 GB available, iStat shows 79 GB.

Running 4.92. Tried reinstalling, deleting the pref files, with and without the mods to make it work better on 10.8, nothing seems to fix the drive space issue.

Not here. All 5 internal and 2 external are correct in iStat Pro.

-Kevin

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
The dashboard runs all the time...

Dashboard itself is running all the time, but the iStat widget isn't constantly polling the system. If I go to dashboard after a while, it takes a few seconds for the widget to update.

I've never had an issue with dashboard and resources. Not saying iStat menus is bad since I don't know.

-Kevin

faricazy

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Ah! Nevermind. iStat is correct. I had Local Snapshots disabled on my Macbook while on Lion and ML reenabled it, taking up 43 GB or so. iStat and Disk Utility are showing the same amount of free space, Finder assumes it can overwrite the backups when it needs to and shows more.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Istat pro was a handy dashboard widget for displaying system data such as battery usage and running processes.

Unfortunately it is not fully ML compatible. The devs have confirmed on Twitter that they will not be updating it to ML compatibility, so it sadly must be considered abandonware.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement?

I'm using iStat Pro here and it's working 100%?

Mr. Zorg

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
The problem seems to be that $1 is always empty and the egrep in ML doesn't seem to like that. Your fix seems to work, but it isn't technically the same thing. Try replacing egrep "PID|$1" with grep -e "PID" -e "$1" for a more faithful replacement... Though I don't know if it really changes anything.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I would not be surprised if Dashboard just vanishes some day. I love it though and use it a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.