Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Hey!

I have been offered a fully functional Titanium PowerBook G4 8xx MHz, 40 GB HD, Airport, yadda yadda for $275, but the only downside is that the bottom third of the screen does not work. Does anyone know of a way to remove the screen from the PB in order to hook it up to an external monitor?

OR:

Is there a way to change the area of the monitor so that it will ONLY display in a selected area? Example: if I set the dock position to the bottom it will be right above the black area because thats where the screen "edges are". Understand what I'm trying to say here... I sure hope so cuz its 1 AM and I cant think clearly. :)

alex_ant

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2002
All up in your bidness
As far as I know there is no way to adjust the display so that the Dock is at the bottom of the middle 2/3rds. However, as far as external monitors go, there is no need to remove the LCD, just close the lid, hook up a USB keyboard & mouse and you can use the PB with the lid closed. It will then act like a desktop computer. Some people are worried about the PB getting hot and frying itself this way, but Apple officially sanctions it, and I've never heard of it doing any damage. (It works fine with my 550MHz Ti which also gets very hot.)

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
Check ebay for a replacement screen for that model. It might not be a bad deal, with a good monitor, considering you only paid $275.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying about the dock, but you can go through system prefernces and change its position to the left or right.
But I have to agree with Acedickson - get a new screen from eBay.

acedickson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2004
ATL
I think I understand what he wants to do. I think he wants to resize the picture to takeup the haf of the screen that's working. Like you can on an external monitor. I don't think it's possible on a notebook, though. I could be wrong since i don't have one though.

Here's a link to ebay. It looks like you can get a replacemnt screen for $225-$250. If you were to replace it, that's still a decent deal on that PB.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
You could also purchase a nice B&W keyboard or 1st gen iMac keyboard as those have the powerbutton directly on the keyboard.

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
*bump due to update*

I've also posted at the applefritter forums (a LOT less users there) and people are saying I should just go ahead and remove the screen due to possible heat issues and overheating. Is overheating an actual concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.