Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vinny96

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
HD Radeon 6870 in Mac Pro 1,1

Is this thread dead. I just upgraded to Lion and was wondering if I could use the flashed 6870 for the 3,1 on my 1,1 even though it says it is incompatible but some of you guys got it working with a regular PC Card. Also I don't care about the boot screen and am noob at flashing cards.

jimtron

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Is this thread dead. I just upgraded to Lion and was wondering if I could use the flashed 6870 for the 3,1 on my 1,1 even though it says it is incompatible but some of you guys got it working with a regular PC Card. Also I don't care about the boot screen and am noob at flashing cards.

I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running Lion (not Mountain Lion). I put in a Radeon 6870 (non-flashed) and it works great, other than the blank screen during boot (which isn't a problem for me either). I posted about it earlier in the thread.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

You don't need to flash it for a 1,1. The only ROMs out there are for 64-bit EFI which your 1,1 doesn't support.

Vinny96

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
6870 Mac Pro 1,1

I have a question, concerning the power cable. Will I need a special power cable since I'm using it with a PC video card or will the one that is included in the the Mac compatible one work?

Last edited:

caseys

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Having had a read through this thread can someone please confirm some info for me?

6870 on a 3,1 2008 MP seems to work fine without any kext / alterations?

Does that also include a boot screen?

I'm a previous owner of a 4890 which I flashed with Cindori's wonderful tool, but alas that finally gave up the ghost and had phantoms all over the place so I've bought an XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZHFC, only using one DVI monitor @ 1920x1200 so I should be ok with getting a boot screen?

Also has anyone been using these cards with Mountain Lion yet?

Thanks in advance...
Si

Vinny96

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Mac Pro 1,1 6870

How about a pc non-flashed 6870 in a Mac Pro 1,1 running Mountain Lion using chameleon boot loader.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have a question, concerning the power cable. Will I need a special power cable since I'm using it with a PC video card or will the one that is included in the the Mac compatible one work?

You can use the one included in the Mac, but you need two cables for the 6870.

You can get them here:
http://www.svideo.com/x1900.html

Having had a read through this thread can someone please confirm some info for me?

6870 on a 3,1 2008 MP seems to work fine without any kext / alterations?

Does that also include a boot screen?

I'm a previous owner of a 4890 which I flashed with Cindori's wonderful tool, but alas that finally gave up the ghost and had phantoms all over the place so I've bought an XFX 6870 HD-687A-ZHFC, only using one DVI monitor @ 1920x1200 so I should be ok with getting a boot screen?

Also has anyone been using these cards with Mountain Lion yet?

Yes. No. No. Yes if you flash. Don't know, but it seems very likely.

Vinny96

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
6870 Mac Pro 1,1

Which 6870 do you recommend, because there a lot out there and want to know which you guys prefer. I heard the Saphire and XFX are good.

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
6870 Mac Pro 1,1

Hey guys, I've read through this thread and I'm not quite sure of the answer:

If I got a PC 6870 and put it in my Mac Pro 1,1, will I be able to play games like Civ 5 or Starcraft at the highest resolutions?

I understand about the no-boot screen, and the trouble with getting two power connector cables.

There were people mentioning issues with not every program running at the beginning of the thread, and then everyone seemed to be okay at the end....

I can run either Snow Leopard or Lion, I have both.

Thanks for the help.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I got the XFX one because I didn't see any negative reviews, but didn't see more than a couple positive in the mac pro 1,1. I've had no issues with it, other than black boot screen.

For those who have successfully done CPU upgrade/6870 to your 1,1 MP, is there a dirty simple way of installing 10.8?

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
If I got a PC 6870 and put it in my Mac Pro 1,1, will I be able to play games like Civ 5 or Starcraft at the highest resolutions?
Can't tell about those games, but another Blizzard game: WoW. Having x5355 CPU's, 12GB Ram and a PC 6870 with SnowLeo 10.6.8 running from a SSD i could _not_ play it smoothly on FullHD with everything maxed! "Good" settings worked fine, though. Therefore i'd guess that at least StarCraft (2) would run flawlessly at higher resolutions if you are willing to tune down details a bit, like e.g. shadows etc.

For those who have successfully done CPU upgrade/6870 to your 1,1 MP, is there a dirty simple way of installing 10.8?
Define "simple"! The way to go is probably the hackintosh route and treating the Mac as yet another PC machine, only pretty much compatible in every detail. :cool: One user on these forums even described in detail how to do it (haven't got the name ready, but there have been a few threads about ML on 1,1).

pepintrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Black screen with 68xx on Mac Pro 1.1
After several hours of online research I purchased a Sapphire 6850 <http://tinyurl.com/am9them> hoping to squeeze another year of service out of my mature Mac Pro 1.1. quad with a Bootcamp partition. My understanding was that it would run out-of-the-box (sans a boot screen). I tried it in SL 10.6.8, Lion 10.7 and 10.7.5. In all cases I hear the chime and what sounds like a normal boot, however no video on either DVI port. Checked it with a Cinema display and 17” monitor. The fan is spinning. If I boot up with my old nvidea 7300 with the 6850 in another slot I get video and can move my mouse but can’t click so I have to shut down with the power button. I had great success flashing a Sapphire 4870 with Zeus for the same Mac a few years ago so perhaps I was over confident that this would be a simple GPU upgrade. The odd thing is that it boots up fine on a friends PC. This has me stumped. Any thoughts?

pepintrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
did you connect power cables?

Thanks for the quick response. The 8650 requires a single power cable and its plugged in and the fan is spinning. One of the same cables thats currently running my reinstalled 4870. I tried the other cable and power connection as well.
Is there a way to force it to load with the bootcamp partition? Since I no longer have access to a PC, and I'm taking it in for a free diagnostic tomorrow. I am bewildered by this apparent anomaly and appreciate any help.

Last edited:

pepintrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Thanks for the quick response. The 8650 requires a single power cable and its plugged in and the fan is spinning. One of the same cables thats currently running my reinstalled 4870. I tried the other cable and power connection as well.
Is there a way to force it to load with the bootcamp partition? Since I no longer have access to a PC, and I'm taking it in for a free diagnostic tomorrow. I am bewildered by this apparent anomaly and appreciate any help.

The card checked out fine so there's must some issue with my Mac. I don't get it, its a vanilla mid-2007 1,1 tested with several versions of the OS. Others are successfully running this card? Installed it one last time tonight, no luck! Going to try a different 6850 tomorrow but it looks like I may need to fork it over for an Apple blessed 5770. Running out of adjectives to describe my frustration. Any ideas?

pepintrout

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
It's possible that the device id of your 6850 isn't in the drivers.

If you don't see any people posting with same card, just do a 6870.

Good advice!
Seeing the same behavior with a different 6850. I’ve seen post claiming that they’re running this card, but I don’t recall anymore if they had Mac Pro 1,1 or 3,1’s. I also saw that some had flashed it to a 6870. From what I understand flashing would be pointless for a 1,1. Most of the usual discount online stores are sold out or have discontinued the 6870 so I may reluctantly spring for an apple 5770 locally.

Moving on…
Thanks for your guidance

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.